Winter Storage in North Carolina - Keep In Water or Not?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

kaptap

Winter Storage in North Carolina - Keep In Water or Not?

#1 Post by kaptap » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:18 am

I'm in NC and my boat stays in the water as I dont' have a trailer. I'm still new to boating and I'm wondering if I should keep it in the water all winter or put it in dry storage? The water level is a concern since we've had little rain and the water at the slip is only about 1.5ft below my motor (July it was 6-8 feet). It's too warm here for the water to freeze, but usually too cold to be out boating with kids. To have it put in dry storage (closed building from Dec-March) costs $400, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the cost. I don't know if I need to be concerned with the engine sitting in water for 3+ months without being run (I'll have it winterized regardless). Any comments are appreciated.

NEBSTER

Re: Winter Storage in North Carolina - Keep In Water or Not?

#2 Post by NEBSTER » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:57 am

If you have a outboard you can leave it with no problem, just keep it in the down position. Just because it's winter don't let that stop you from going out. A nice day and flat water can't be beat. If you have a inboard some one else will have to help you.
2005 Harris
Honda 90
North Augusta SC

brumbyvet.1044

#3 Post by brumbyvet.1044 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:54 pm

I would agree to leaving the motor down, just make sure the water level doesn't go any lower. You don't want the skeg to hit ground.
2009 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21, 2 Log NV performance Package, 90HP 4 ST. Mercury
Garmin 430S
Cherokee Lake, TN

tkrein

#4 Post by tkrein » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:09 pm

just a weird ? with the motor down you can get growth in the water intake. i have always stored my motor up if it stays in the water for a long time just look at the botom of your toons do they not get alge. i live in norht dakota so we have to take them out for the winter and winterize them. i stick mine in a cold storage as the heated shop is for other things.
2017 Bennington 22ssrx
115 Yamaha
karavan Trailer
2014 Chev tahoe

camartin

#5 Post by camartin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:30 am

We leave our boat in the water/Lake Norman. Here's what I do:

1. When temperatures approach freezing, leave your lower unit down. When you raise your motor out of the water it won't drain fully and the freeze/thaw cycle won't be good. I researched this a bunch and have asked this question on several boating forums and this is the consensus of what I found.

For certain engines (like my Verado) raising the engine between each use will cause a bit of oil burn so I try to avoid it...also don't like advertising my ss prop.

2. At least every week or two, I run my motor at the dock. I take advantage of nice days where I can and go for a spin

3. Add Seafoam or equivalent to your gas tank to absorb any water that might form through condensation. I have a friend that skipped this step and he paid the price one year. Keep your tank(s) full of gas.

4. In the Spring, I take my boat in for an oil change and other routine maintenance and while the boat is out of the water I have them acid/pressure wash the toons. This takes care of any build-up problem from the winter (I wait to do this once the water is warm enough for swimming so I can stay on top of cleaning the toons after that).
2006 2500 Sanpan RE
150 Verado
Lake Norman, NC