toon covers?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

lounge lizard

toon covers?

#1 Post by lounge lizard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:53 pm

Hi gang! I just bought a generic towable cover from Overtons. I could use some tips on putting it on and taking it off. The cover is way big and heavy. How the heck do you wrestle that thing on, and how do you fold or roll it up so its easy to get back on? The support strap setup to keep the cover elevated seems like a "piece" also. I usually have good luck with products I buy, but Im not impressed with this setup.
I had a stock non-towable snap on cover that was way nicer. I know a generic will not fit as well, but this thing kinda looks like a giant Sharpe (wrinkle dog) drapped over the boat.
Thanks for any tips or jeers! Frank.
99 Voyager 21' fish n cruise /Merc 115
Duramax/Lance 835
KTM/Honda/Polaris
Motorized advocate in Colo. CMTRA, our local club.
www.cmtrail.org come visit!

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: toon covers?

#2 Post by lakerunner » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Can't help with cover issues but I can help with supports. I have a factory cover for my toon yet the the poles were so small they punched through after a snow storm. I made new ones using gallon plastic coffee cans, 3/4 and 1/2 PVC. Concrete the 3/4 in can, insert 1/2 into 3/4. add a cap and screw on 2" cap over 1/2. I tried a Frisbee but they just split so the 2"cap spreads pressure from snow or water.
After setting cover get uprights where you want them, mark, and drill to bolt hight in place.

My tanning pad in rear always pooled water so I made the A frame to address that
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

lounge lizard

#3 Post by lounge lizard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Thanks for that info, but Im really looking for tips on how to reinstall the cover after boating. Its usually just a giant 12 x24 ft mess. I thought I was going to suffocate under that thing spreading it out along the boat. I know my neighbors were laughing their asses off watching me with this brand new cover the first time today.
Duramax/Lance 835
KTM/Honda/Polaris

dockholiday

#4 Post by dockholiday » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:39 pm

Had one of those Overton generic covers myself, think it is still out in the garage somewhere. I feel your pain, that cover was such a pain to deal with. Bought a new boat in 08 so I was able to retire that cover. Overton makes it look like it fits so well in their photo. Looks like a present wrapped up, well they never fit that well. Tried one of their web support things but the plastic broke in a few weeks. Had it for several years and finally just left it off the boat because of the hassle. That had about a 2k effect on the furniture when I sold the boat since it needed to be replaced because it was uncovered. Nothing but a fitted cover for me in the future. The new cover is like putting a table cloth on, very light. Good Luck with it.
doc

OldePharte

#5 Post by OldePharte » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:17 am

The only real suggestion that I have is to loosen it, fold it in thirds (fold each side inward) and then start at one end and roll that puppy up. Remember at which end you started so that you can reverse the process.
'09 Neptoon Sport 25TT SunLounger w/150 Honda

What happens at the lake stays at the lake. Unless I have my camera handy.

WaltF

#6 Post by WaltF » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:49 pm

Ya, covers are a pain in da ass...
We have one of those generic ones from WallyWorld.
Not great, but works ok.
Keeping it covered over the summer at the slip has taken its toll over the last couple seasons though....
Ill prob buy another one for next summer...
Only cost $199 so cant complain too much considering the 'real' on was just under 1k.

BUT, if you want a REAL cover, this guys covers up in Denver ROCK!
Ive seen them and they are Nice! Basically you give him $900 or so bucks and your toon for like a week or so and get back a custom cover made just for your toon.. nice...
He does all the covers for the SunTrackers that come out of Bass Pro shop up in Denver.
http://www.paulscanvas.com/

That said, it NOT great for covering over the winter!
Not enough vert angle to get the snow to run off...
For the winter, you will need another plan...

For this winter, im going to basically make some Tall wood horses to go inside the toon, running the length right down the middle, then drape a tarp tightly over that....
Same kind of idea as in the pics above but with even more of a vert angle....
Colorado snow storms can KICK BUTT.
If they dont just dump soo much snow on ya they collapse the cover, then the wind GODS will rip your cover to shreds...

Deff challenge during the winter...last years tarp only made it half way through due to my crappy design....
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

lounge lizard

#7 Post by lounge lizard » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:14 pm

Yeah, Im shopping! I may send the generic one back, mostly because its too big, the one for my size was out of stock. Now Im hearing they are switching brands next year. Trim Masters in CS will do one for near a grand, but i have seen their work, its top notch. I guess I can do the cocoon wrestle with a cheap one,,dang it. I will also look at having someone stitch a mooring cover instead also. This winter could be a doosie!! We,ll definetly stay in touch for next summer :dance Frank
Duramax/Lance 835
KTM/Honda/Polaris

dockholiday

#8 Post by dockholiday » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:45 pm

Give these people a call, that is where my cover came from. It fits well, light weight and even has cut outs for a second bimini if you choose to add another, also has vents on each of the 4 ridge poles. Think my cost was 5 or 6 hundred.
Guess the downside is they are out of Canada, so may take a few weeks to get it.
http://www.gmitopdesign.com/page2-e-us.html
doc