End of Season - Cleaning of Toons

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

CheaperThanKids

End of Season - Cleaning of Toons

#1 Post by CheaperThanKids » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:37 am

We are going to pull the boat out this weekend for the winter and our new marina doesn't have someone who can winterize and clean the toons and bottom of the boat. A buddy and myself are going to scrub the gunk off, any suggestions on what works best?? Its been in the river since May so we have a good buildup.

Also going to winterize the outboard, but then we keep it in indoor storage, so we should be set.

Thanks
Cheaper Than Kids
'96 JC Tritoon 24'
115 hp Evinrude
Full Camping Enclosure
Three Rivers
Pittsburgh, PA

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: End of Season - Cleaning of Toons

#2 Post by lakerunner » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:49 am

Power washer and stiff bristled brush. Then if you desire Coil Cleaner to really strip the logs
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

dockholiday

#3 Post by dockholiday » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:18 am

Have used the SOS/Brillo pad on the logs. Also the starbrite pads are good. Dealer uses acid (muratic I think) on the logs.
Meguiars paint cleaner is good on the fence, followed by some wax.
doc

GXPWeasel

#4 Post by GXPWeasel » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:47 am

Check out a product called "Toon Brite". This stuff is supposed to work pretty good. There are 2 steps, and you don't even have to perform the 2nd. if you don't want to. First is a cleaner specifically made for Aluminum toons. Second step is a polish ( which is what I'm going to do in the spring). You can go as far as polishing the toons to look like Polished Aluminum wheels on your car if you want. I saw the kit for both in Bass Pro shop for $47 IIRC. You can also find it on www.autogeek.net under the marine products.

Good Luck.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

schmir

#5 Post by schmir » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:40 am

Here is what I do. Power wash first. Then I use "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner(about a $1 a bottle) to eat the crud off. I spray it on, let sit a few minutes and then scrub. It will take a few times. Others say to use ac coil cleaner. For some reason, it doesn't take the crud off for me but I use it after I use The Works. It makes the alumnium on my boat all an almost white uniform color. It soon turns back to looking like alumnium and then I sharkhide it so it doesn't turn black. Good luck!
23ft 2007 Parti Kraft, 115hp Yamaha 4 stroke on the Mighty Vermilion River!

Alohatoon1

#6 Post by Alohatoon1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:17 pm

GXPWeasel wrote:Check out a product called "Toon Brite". This stuff is supposed to work pretty good. There are 2 steps, and you don't even have to perform the 2nd. if you don't want to. First is a cleaner specifically made for Aluminum toons. Second step is a polish ( which is what I'm going to do in the spring). You can go as far as polishing the toons to look like Polished Aluminum wheels on your car if you want. I saw the kit for both in Bass Pro shop for $47 IIRC. You can also find it on http://www.autogeek.net under the marine products.

Good Luck.
I ALWAYS recommend against using Toonbrite or any type of acid cleaner. It works well, turns your toons a sort of whitish-silver, but it does that by etching your aluminum.

Etching increased the surface area of the aluminum that is exposed to the air and will oxidize. Result it that after Toonbrite, your logs will oxidize much faster and get much darker, unless you seal them after etching with SharkHyde or similar.

My neighbor acid-washed his toons and I watched as they turned dark gray in less than one season of use.
Please visit my website if you get a chance, better yet submit a couple of your favorite photos there!
The Boating Photo of the Day

tkrein

#7 Post by tkrein » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:47 pm

heres what my buddy does. when out on a nice day and swimming just keep up in the toons by takeing those green and yellow sponges and cleaning the bottom of the toons this keeps them looking clean and the crude off of them till winter the water gets cooler so not as much growth. at the end of the season just pressure wash them off. remember all that growth on them slows down the toon when you want to get up and go.
2017 Bennington 22ssrx
115 Yamaha
karavan Trailer
2014 Chev tahoe

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#8 Post by badmoonrising » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Yeah that's what I do every few weeks as long as the water is warm. Surface temp is down to 65, so no more of that :(
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

GXPWeasel

#9 Post by GXPWeasel » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:39 am

Alohatoon1 wrote:
GXPWeasel wrote:Check out a product called "Toon Brite". This stuff is supposed to work pretty good. There are 2 steps, and you don't even have to perform the 2nd. if you don't want to. First is a cleaner specifically made for Aluminum toons. Second step is a polish ( which is what I'm going to do in the spring). You can go as far as polishing the toons to look like Polished Aluminum wheels on your car if you want. I saw the kit for both in Bass Pro shop for $47 IIRC. You can also find it on http://www.autogeek.net under the marine products.

Good Luck.
I ALWAYS recommend against using Toonbrite or any type of acid cleaner. It works well, turns your toons a sort of whitish-silver, but it does that by etching your aluminum.

Etching increased the surface area of the aluminum that is exposed to the air and will oxidize. Result it that after Toonbrite, your logs will oxidize much faster and get much darker, unless you seal them after etching with SharkHyde or similar.

My neighbor acid-washed his toons and I watched as they turned dark gray in less than one season of use.
That makes sense. Guess I won't be trying that product. But I will be doing something to brighten those puppies up next spring.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26