pros & cons of tri-toon?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ylojelo

pros & cons of tri-toon?

#1 Post by ylojelo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:51 am

What are the pros & cons of having a third pontoon? And, because different manufactures are shaping them differently, is the end result different as well?

Thanks

jimrs

Re: pros & cons of tri-toon?

#2 Post by jimrs » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:23 am

The only con I can think of is price. They seem to be a bit higher than two toons.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

wwind3

#3 Post by wwind3 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:26 am

cons are probably large increase in price--need a larger motor usually to get any kind of performance.

Pros are usually better ride and handling and turning etc---prob carry more people too.
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS

mike
Site Owner

#4 Post by mike » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:36 am

wwind3 wrote:cons are probably large increase in price--need a larger motor usually to get any kind of performance.

Pros are usually better ride and handling and turning etc---prob carry more people too.
I would think that having the toon sitting higher in the water would offset the extra weight and perhaps even give you more speed out of the same motor vs a 2 logger?

Just thinking out loud here...
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

paulangelo

#5 Post by paulangelo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:52 pm

That is a good thought also. I had a 2 logger and added a 3rd, same motor and I gained a couple of MPH. Smoother ride, If you TOW it may add a little weight but in the water, it only helps. Cost is the most difference, but then again, think resale...

dockholiday

#6 Post by dockholiday » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:53 pm

The only con is price, I can think of. I discovered one pro, I had not thought of by accident last year. I hit a stump and ripped the end cap of the port toon. With the port toon completely inudated with water the boat listed to the left, but kept the rubrail about 4 or 5 inches above the water. also this kept the motor from having any water damage since it never got above the cowl. If it had been a 2 log I am sure it would have went vertical, increasing the damage tremendously. Granted that was a once in a life time event, never thought of anything more than a ding in the log would happen to me, but sure am glad I had the center log on that day. Sold on the tritoon before that happened, but supersold now.
doc

mike
Site Owner

#7 Post by mike » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:43 pm

dockholiday wrote:The only con is price, I can think of. I discovered one pro, I had not thought of by accident last year. I hit a stump and ripped the end cap of the port toon. With the port toon completely inudated with water the boat listed to the left, but kept the rubrail about 4 or 5 inches above the water. also this kept the motor from having any water damage since it never got above the cowl. If it had been a 2 log I am sure it would have went vertical, increasing the damage tremendously. Granted that was a once in a life time event, never thought of anything more than a ding in the log would happen to me, but sure am glad I had the center log on that day. Sold on the tritoon before that happened, but supersold now.
doc
Thats a scary thing to happen, makes me glad my toons also have flotation filler inside... Never can be too safe!
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

dockholiday

#8 Post by dockholiday » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:21 pm

mike wrote:
dockholiday wrote:The only con is price, I can think of. I discovered one pro, I had not thought of by accident last year. I hit a stump and ripped the end cap of the port toon. With the port toon completely inudated with water the boat listed to the left, but kept the rubrail about 4 or 5 inches above the water. also this kept the motor from having any water damage since it never got above the cowl. If it had been a 2 log I am sure it would have went vertical, increasing the damage tremendously. Granted that was a once in a life time event, never thought of anything more than a ding in the log would happen to me, but sure am glad I had the center log on that day. Sold on the tritoon before that happened, but supersold now.
doc
Thats a scary thing to happen, makes me glad my toons also have flotation filler inside... Never can be too safe!
Yep never even been close to anything like that in 25 years of boating. The stump hit about half way down the toon and when it reached the end it just popped the end cap off like a hubcap. Luckily, I was less than a mile from the ramp and had the trailer there. As I increased the speed most of the water came out an it got back on plane. I didn't know the extent of the damage until I got it back on the trailer. Probably set a record time getting it on the trailer. Looking forward to some warm weather to try it out. Everyone remember to keep your insurance current never can tell when a freak accident like that will hit. It only made a little bump sound like so many other I have heard, so after a little bump you might need to do some checking.
doc

mike
Site Owner

#9 Post by mike » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:37 pm

great advice!
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

walter

#10 Post by walter » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:00 pm

holy crap doc, "record time onto the trailer" I would have had the racing stripe in my drawers to prove it!
2008 Bentley 243 Cruise "Tritoon" w/ Lifting Strakes
115 hp Merc 4-str.
Collinsville, IL.
Boat on Ky Lake

fishmor

#11 Post by fishmor » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:44 pm

The ones with the motor mount/transom on the end of the center log gives better flotation in the back end.
"Usefulness is the true test of value"
"You never own anything, it owns you"
"Be Happy and Do Good" Eccls 3:12