Jurors find boat manufacturer partly liable

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

badmoonrising
Site Admin

Re: Jurors find boat manufacturer partly liable

#46 Post by badmoonrising » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:11 am

No way he's wasting his time posting here only about prop related injuries and subsequent multi-million dollar lawsuits unless he's selling or has a financial interest in something. Not buying the "doing this for the good of humanity" BS.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

toondog

#47 Post by toondog » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Well, the boat was traveling 5-10 mph and she fell off the bow. Anyone want to guess what she was doing. I'm pretty sure she and the ->captain<- ignored a warning posted on that boat.

FWC releases new details in Crystal River woman’s death

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) investigators today released new information abut an incident involving the death Saturday afternoon of a Crystal River woman.

FWC investigators say Carla D. Faul, 25, died when she fell off the bow of a boat. She went under the vessel, and the outboard motor propeller struck her.

There were seven other people aboard the 2005 20-foot Sweetwater pontoon boat, on which Faul was a passenger. The vessel, operated by Jeffrey Ryan Lamb, 31, of Wildwood, was approximately four miles north of the State Road 44 Bridge. Lamb was traveling south at between 5 and 10 miles per hour, FWC investigators said.

After the prop struck Faul, two other passengers, Alan K. McCarthy, 23, and Michelle Schwab, 29, both of Bushnell, went into the water to rescue her.

After bringing Faul back aboard the pontoon boat, an airboat operating in the area came over to assist. People placed Faul aboard the airboat in an attempt to get her ashore quicker. The airboat transported her to the Rutland Park Boat Ramp at the State Road 44 Bridge.

Emergency medical crews from Lake and Sumter counties were at the scene, as well as personnel from the Citrus County and Sumter County sheriffs’ offices.

Faul’s injuries were fatal, and she was pronounced dead at the scene.

FWC officials are continuing the investigation.

Last edited by toondog on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
96 20 special Grumman 50hp evinrude
13 Blazer outboard jet boat
11 12ft Perception Kayak
18 250 6.7 powerstroke

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky

PGIC

#48 Post by PGIC » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Stephen wrote:PGIC: I'm curious about your Virtual Prop Safety mechanism. It claims to only work at slow speeds, but how slow are we talking? I would think a lot of 'falling off the boat' accidents resulting in hitting the moving motor would be more likely to occur at speeds in exceess of 15 miles per hour
I am not sure exactly which system you are speaking of. I have spent many years trying to encourage the development sensor based propeller safety systems as an alternative to traditional propeller guards. Some of these systems (virtual propeller guards) will work at speeds and are currently deployed on commercial ferries to detect floating objects and marine mammals. See the 2008 quote below from SFGate.com
SFGate.com wrote:Bay Area ferry fleet welcomes new green boat
November 26, 2008

A brand-new San Francisco Bay ferryboat sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge during rush hour Tuesday morning on its maiden voyage... The boat is called Gemini ... and is equipped with everything from sonar to detect floating debris or marine animals in the boat's path to Wi-Fi for the passengers.
Yes, I understand that is a ferry boat application v. a small craft, but the concept is the same.

Most recreational boat operator overboard kill the engine systems (ranging from wearable lanyards, to sensor based systems) are designed to prevent the person going overboard from being struck by the boat after it begins to circle. A substantial percentage of operator overboard prop strikes occur after the boat has circled a few times and begins to hit them with the prop. If that boat could be stopped when the operator goes overboard, they still face some possibility of being hit by the prop the moment they fell overboard (depending on the exact system in use, how they fell, etc), but they would be protected from what is sometimes called the "circle of death".

In closing I am not saying all boats need virtual propeller guards on them, I am just suggesting the use of sensor based systems seems like an alternative the industry should be actively exploring.

gary
Propeller Guard Information Center

BassFrequency

#49 Post by BassFrequency » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:45 pm

PGIC wrote:In closing I am not saying all boats need virtual propeller guards on them
I agree, just ones with really stupid captains who dont have any buisiness driving a boat anyway :rofl :rofl
24' 1989 Starcraft 23.1mph gps
60HP Evinrude
'96 GMC Jimmy "The Demon" custom 8 ball lever 4x4
no muffler or cat. just strait to the back

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#50 Post by badmoonrising » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Yep.

"In closing" does that mean you're finished here ? :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

WaltF

#51 Post by WaltF » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:20 pm

I dont know about you, but im going manatee hunting next weekend!!
:nana :rofl :nana :rofl :nana :rofl
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#52 Post by badmoonrising » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:44 am

I hear they taste like bacon. Mmmmm...bacon. :rofl