Memory's of busting my ass

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Memory's of busting my ass

#1 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:38 am

One important thing I learned is to not grab your grinder motor instead of the buffer motor, the grinder runs a whole lot faster and will remove skin before you can say WTF did I do, the outside wasn't to bad but I still could have made the job faster by wet sanding first, starting with the finest grit that will work and finish with 1500, then start buffing.

Still not looking bad 7 years later without anything being put on them, but it never stayed in the water more than a few days at a time and I would wipe it down when I got home.

I didn't want to put the Shark Hide on because it kills the shine a little but next time I will, but if you do it right and go over it quick every year you can keep in to a mirror finish easy.

Oh and most people stop polishing at the water line ,nobody can see it they say, but I gained 2 MPH slicked up all the way down, it's easy for me as I have rollers, not bunks, so I can polish all I can get to and then slide the toon back 6 inches and get the rest.

So just because it can't be seen, you will still know it and it will move faster and the smoother it is, the harder it is for something to grab on and grow.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

Woody

Re: Memory's of busting my ass

#2 Post by Woody » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:09 pm

I'm still debating weather or not I will do our JC or not. I did our last boat, and it is a ton of work, but it sure does look good and turn some heads.
2014 Benny (Until I find a replacement for my totaled JC Tritoon)

Usually somewhere on the TN River

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm going the sand paper route this time, it's a lot faster and it will remove scraches that the buffer will just shine.

I need to do my old race trailer too and take it and sale to a racer and get me a dump trailer or enclosed trailer, but maybe I get a good dump and make a top for it that I can remove if needed.

curtiscapk

#4 Post by curtiscapk » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:49 pm

First time seen your toon Herb. It looks good..
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

BassFrequency

#5 Post by BassFrequency » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Looks good!!
Woody wrote:I'm still debating weather or not I will do our JC or not. I did our last boat, and it is a ton of work, but it sure does look good and turn some heads.
I did mine spring last year but black oxide kept washing down from the inside of the M brackets after each run so gave up
24' 1989 Starcraft 23.1mph gps
60HP Evinrude
'96 GMC Jimmy "The Demon" custom 8 ball lever 4x4
no muffler or cat. just strait to the back

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#6 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:05 pm

curtiscapk wrote:First time seen your toon Herb. It looks good..
Tight as money has been in Florida the last 3 years I haven't had it out, because I need to get the tilt seals done and buy a few fishing seats.

But all the money is going for bills and food, and I still pray it going to change this year, some work out there, but to many trying to get it and to many willing to give it away, so you not even making enough to replace tools your breaking or wearing out.

But it's getting wet this year, I had a buddie ask me when were going out, so I just have to wheel and deal and hope for the best, but I need to do something other than clean it.

dockholiday

#7 Post by dockholiday » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:07 pm

Looking really good Herb. You are dead on about the buffer just shining the scratches. Well it can be done with an abrasive polish but it takes for ever. Polished my old toon in 98, didn't even know before I started if it would shine or not. Took me along time with polish alone. You can also use oooo steel wool with a little dishwashing liquid. It makes like a real fine SOS pad. Good job.

doc

dockholiday

#8 Post by dockholiday » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Didn't see the last post before I submitted the post on your polishing, but sure hope things start getting better for you.Here is a chart of the home builders. To an extinct it follows the construction industry. Seems like the glut of the houses on the market is having a real adverse action on both new home construction an repairs on existing homes, since there are a lot of foreclosures selling for 50 cents on the dollar.
http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickc ... =2&time=12

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#9 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:58 pm

Yea I got one guy who starting to buy houses again so that's helping, he bought two so far, but t now he got to rent because they aren't selling unless you give them a away, the same way it was here in the 70's when NASA cut back after the moon launches.

You could get houses all day just taking over the payments, the house I living in my parents bought in 71 for 7000., it was going for 40 thousand when I bought it off them, went to 225 thousand during the housing gold rush.

I guess I should have sold it and waited, I could have bought 3 or four of them now, but I had to many toys to store so I stayed put.

But Calf and Florida are still the worst in jobs and housing. i think we only 12.5 percent, but that's not counting all of us who can't draw being self employed or the underemployed, so were really at 25 percent or better unemployed.

So pray for us, because we weren't making all that much before and after three years of just paying bills and thanking God no big emergency's have come up.

FloterBoter

#10 Post by FloterBoter » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:16 pm

we're all praying, herb, but it will take a serious change of politicians to turn things around.

Heatman

#11 Post by Heatman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:11 am

Herb things are starting to look up here in Indy but not sure for how long. New homes are up big time. We are actually starting around 80 new homes a week right now for the past month.

Bad news is alot of them seem to be what we call spec or market homes ( not sold) in hopes people will buy them before the tax rebates go away. Hopefully they sell or come June there will be empty homes everywhere and we will be looking for work!
2014 Tracker Targa V-18 Combo/ Mercury 150hp 4 stroke
'06 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4 Big Horn Hemi
Sheridan, Indiana

BassFrequency

#12 Post by BassFrequency » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:37 am

your not the only one on here having trouble finding $$$ for the next boat ride. so your not alone herb.

I'm seriously considering investing in a trolling motor cuz i know if gas hits $4 this summer, I cant afford it.

just gotta prey that things get better bro
24' 1989 Starcraft 23.1mph gps
60HP Evinrude
'96 GMC Jimmy "The Demon" custom 8 ball lever 4x4
no muffler or cat. just strait to the back

dockholiday

#13 Post by dockholiday » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:36 am

Think it is going to take a while to work through the inventory here. Checked a site on the net and houses were selling from 30 to 50k around my parent house. It is now in a transitional area so that doesn't help. They paid 23k in 1963, about 1 in 5 had 20x40 swimming pools. Using new car prices as a benchmark. A dressed out ford or chevy in 1963 was 4 to 5 k. I know in 75 I bought a grand prix for 6200. Given new cars like that are selling for over 30k now. Comparing these looks like the real value of the house should be 120 to 150k. I really don't want a rental house but may have to. Sure not going to sell it for 40k. Probably would cost 40k to just put the brick on that house today. I ran into a guy in Lowes yesterday and he said he couldn't believe the prices here. He had bought 11 houses in the 30 to 40k range. Funny not many people interested in buying low an selling high. I think a young man could accumulate some of these houses an end up with a good retirement 10years or so down the road. I guess it is like when Ford stock was at 2 dollars a share an no one would touch it but now at 12 dollar they are buying like crazy.

FloterBoter

#14 Post by FloterBoter » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:15 pm

yeah, if you got money you can make money.

GXPWeasel

#15 Post by GXPWeasel » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:31 pm

dockholiday wrote:Think it is going to take a while to work through the inventory here. Checked a site on the net and houses were selling from 30 to 50k around my parent house. It is now in a transitional area so that doesn't help. They paid 23k in 1963, about 1 in 5 had 20x40 swimming pools. Using new car prices as a benchmark. A dressed out ford or chevy in 1963 was 4 to 5 k. I know in 75 I bought a grand prix for 6200. Given new cars like that are selling for over 30k now. Comparing these looks like the real value of the house should be 120 to 150k. I really don't want a rental house but may have to. Sure not going to sell it for 40k. Probably would cost 40k to just put the brick on that house today. I ran into a guy in Lowes yesterday and he said he couldn't believe the prices here. He had bought 11 houses in the 30 to 40k range. Funny not many people interested in buying low an selling high. I think a young man could accumulate some of these houses an end up with a good retirement 10years or so down the road. I guess it is like when Ford stock was at 2 dollars a share an no one would touch it but now at 12 dollar they are buying like crazy.
This is exactly why my dad and I are considering flipping houses here. There are a ton of cheap ( $30k-$50k ) houses here, but the market never really dropped. These are just ones that need work. Nobody around here is willing to do the work, they would rather sell, and buy newer/nicer. I think we could do it, use me as the finance help, and help on weekends, and my dad do the work full time. We could probably make it work well enough for him to make a decent living, and me to put a couple extra grand in my pockets per year. My dad was down in Florida about 5 years ago, until about 3 years ago ( the perfect time really) and helped remodel houses with my uncle in Orlando. Made good money, and learned a lot. I'm just glad he has taught me a thing or two.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26