what is the dif between outboards on a ton vs bass boat

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

hotairgypsy

what is the dif between outboards on a ton vs bass boat

#1 Post by hotairgypsy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:28 am

besides the prop pitches what else is dif. Is there any reason i cannot take an engine off a bass boat and transfer to my toon? It would have all the controls and such. I know there would be possibly a dif in mounting to transom but i dont know about the height stuff on it. What you all think

here is an example of a boat i was considering buying to get the engine for my toon. just use it as a reference...i know it may be waaaay to big for mine but still the idea

dockholiday

Re: what is the dif between outboards on a ton vs bass boat

#2 Post by dockholiday » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:10 am

Think the shaft length might be the only concern, next maybe the prop. I have access to a 200hp on a bass boat also an entertained the
idea of putting it on my toon. The other consideration is the older motors are much less fuel efficient. I had an older in line 6 on a runabout
an it really went through the fuel.
doc

WaltF

#3 Post by WaltF » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:12 am

First curious question ill ask is, how big is that engine? and whats the biggest engine your toon can take?
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

hotairgypsy

#4 Post by hotairgypsy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:38 am

looks like the boat has a 150 merc on it. as for my toon is can only do a 115hp but i have been looking at other pontoons at auction without engines which would support this size.

hotairgypsy

#5 Post by hotairgypsy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:44 am

dockholiday wrote:Think the shaft length might be the only concern, next maybe the prop. I have access to a 200hp on a bass boat also an entertained the
idea of putting it on my toon. The other consideration is the older motors are much less fuel efficient. I had an older in line 6 on a runabout
an it really went through the fuel.
doc

elaborate on the shaft length...are you reffering to how deep it is going in the water? as for prop easy enough to change out to the proper pitch needed i would think

also this engine is on a 98...is it good or bad year for fuel economy?

GXPWeasel

#6 Post by GXPWeasel » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 am

Yep, that's what he meant. Normally you can get a long or short shaft ( lower unit ) on pretty much each engine. The bass boat would normally take the short, and the toon the long. However, there is always some adjustment to your mouting, and if you found an engine long enough (or tall, however you want to say it ) you could probably make it work. I would measure the top of the transom, to the bottom of the toon. My guess is you would want the lower unit to stick under the toon enough so that the veins on the lower unit are completely submerged, if you what I mean.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

dockholiday

#7 Post by dockholiday » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Yep that is what i meant. You could just measure from the mounting hole on the boat you have to say the center of the prop and do like wise on the motor you are looking at. The gas hog 150 I was talking about was early 80's, so, i am sure the 98 would be much better. Can't really speak to the gph but seems like every year they are making them more efficient. Wouldn't hang it on there if the boat is not rated for the hp. Think there is a discussion on that here if you do a search.

doc

buddy19520

#8 Post by buddy19520 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Gearing may also be different, but could also be solved with the right prop.

Regarding the 1998, that was about the time Mercury had their first Optimax and OMC (I think) had their Ficht direct injected engines. Mercs seemed to work pretty well, but OMC went out of business because they had so many problems with the Ficht engines. Bombardier bought them out with the expectation of using the motors and parts, but ended up trashing the entire stock of inventory because quality control had been poor. Trailer Boats magazine had some articles about it several years ago. Bombardier came up with their own direct injected engines - Etec.

The good news is, if you can find one that runs well, the Ficht was pretty fuel efficient compared to old-school two strokers.

WaltF

#9 Post by WaltF » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Ya know, i wonder how much hp i could get if i stuck a super charger on top of my 135hp 3.0? :fasttoon
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
Colorado Springs, CO.

GXPWeasel

#10 Post by GXPWeasel » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:06 pm

WaltF wrote:Ya know, i wonder how much hp i could get if i stuck a super charger on top of my 135hp 3.0? :fasttoon
A lot. This is my forte. A supercharger doesn't use much more fuel at all, and can provide almost an unlimited amount of extra power. The biggest thing, is keeping her cool. Some use alcohol injection, or you could use coolant. Just don't get it hot, and remember, they start making boost way sooner than turbo's do. :thumbsup
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

WaltF

#11 Post by WaltF » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:34 pm

Alot?
Alots Good!! :nana

Can you see a charger on top of that 4 banger? Haha! :rofl :rofl

Actually, since the boat is rated for the max i/o engine i have in it now, wonder what upping like that would do legally? :donno
Unlike an OB were the limitation would be on the transom, i dont see where upping the hp would hurt anything as long as the lower unit could handle it....

Seems like it would be a sweet way to get extra power without having to redrop an engine though... :nana

Wonder what the cheapest /easiest mod you could do to add say like 10-20 hp on a 3.0...
Anyone put like a K&N arrestor on their engine? :biggrin2

Its nothing ill ever do, but interesting thought... :alright
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
Colorado Springs, CO.

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#12 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:23 pm

There's also a fuel injection kit available for the 3.0. I was considering it after the trouble I had last year with ethanol gas/carb issues.

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/

A friend of ours installed a kit from them in his '66 Chevelle and loves it.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD