Question about resale value

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

baylor3217

Question about resale value

#1 Post by baylor3217 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:18 am

I'm looking at purchasing a 22' 2006 Tracker toon with trailer, 90 hp motorfor about $16,900

I've noticed there aren't too many for sale older than 2006 and my plan was to own this for 2-3 years and then sell it.

I'm trying to guage how much I may be able to re-sell it for assuming minimal hours and good care is taken of it in 3-4 years.

Thoughts?

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Question about resale value

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun May 02, 2010 11:58 am

Most likely you might get half back out of it, all depends on whats going on in the toon market then.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

dockholiday

#3 Post by dockholiday » Sun May 02, 2010 3:30 pm

One of the few times to disagree with Herb. Think you will do better than that. I have heard most of the value on a boat is lost in the first two years an after that it sort of levels out. Demand right now is the best it has been in a long time, an with price increases on the new models it just helps the used market. Even with the downturn in the economy, there are not a lot of repo's out there an the ones that are at auction are going for higher than normal prices. Think the key is what you said about keeping it in good shape, especially the interior. Think you are right on with an 06 or 07 model. New enough to have good reliable motors an has taken the brunt of the first two years of loss. Not sure what the boat is worth but if you buy it right then the loss will be minimal. I actually knew a guy that bought a boat used it for two years. Ran it into a dock (about $300 damage back then) an sold it for what he paid for it. Good Luck
doc

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#4 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun May 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Hey I was just guessing but hope it does do better than I think, I just wish I knew what the housing market was going to do a few years ago, I would have sold my house and told everyone to do the same for the big money they were offered.

We could have put the money away and came back and bought 3 at today's prices and have the money to fix them up to rent or sale.

dockholiday

#5 Post by dockholiday » Sun May 02, 2010 6:07 pm

HandymanHerb wrote:Hey I was just guessing but hope it does do better than I think, I just wish I knew what the housing market was going to do a few years ago, I would have sold my house and told everyone to do the same for the big money they were offered.

We could have put the money away and came back and bought 3 at today's prices and have the money to fix them up to rent or sale.

That's true in the housing an stock market. I use to have a pretty good feel for the stock market but now it is just a day to day thing. There are 3 bedroom 2 bath solid brick homes near my fathers house selling for 40k, and for the most part no one wants them. Doubt the housing market will recover as fast as it went down, but for a young man there is a lot of opportunity out there even if you could only rent it for 600 a month, about 5 years an it is yours free an clear. Heck a few years ago the lots were worth 40k. Funny the price of a nice new car when these houses were built was about 4k now they are in the 30k an even with that increase GM went belly up. Think this just shows how leery of the economy everyone is, especially the flippers of houses that got burned.
Herb you looked at the mossberg 930SPX?
Went to the first gun show in a long time to check one out. Matter of fact there were only two at the show. Anyway think I am going to spring for one
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 106405#PIC
doc

WaltF

#6 Post by WaltF » Mon May 03, 2010 7:15 am

BanG! :nana
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#7 Post by HandymanHerb » Mon May 03, 2010 5:59 pm

Yea now that a gun

WaltF

#8 Post by WaltF » Tue May 04, 2010 8:43 am

From toon to house to gun.
Sweeeet thread... :devillol :happy
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

GXPWeasel

#9 Post by GXPWeasel » Tue May 04, 2010 10:24 am

Back on topic:
I would guess if you took care of the boat, did proper maintenance on the motor, and kept interior in great shape, you should not LOOSE money on the deal. This is stating that your payments on the boat should decrease what you would owe, faster than the value would deplete at this time. Now if you're buying out right, then I would guess you should be able to get 80-90% of your value back, again, assuming the current market, and boat condition.

My boat, according to NADA, has actually increased in price over the past year since we bought it. Do I think I could sell for a profit, probably not, but it makes me at least feel good. :drool
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26