pontoon water glide

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

limulus
Location: Reside in suburban Atlanta and play at Lake Chatuge, GA

Re: pontoon water glide

#31 Post by limulus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:52 pm

Hey tuned, what prop are you running? That is the one thing I may need to tinker with now that I have the glide on. I've been running a Black Max 14x13. I have a Turning Point Hustler 13.75 x 15 that I need to try.

KenR

#32 Post by KenR » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Hello Limulus,
After my PWG installation, I added a setback plate which did two things. First it moved the motor back approx 6 inches and it also dropped the motor about 1 1/2 inches maybe two. It is adjustable so you can move the motor up or down more. You run much smoother with the under skinning in place and pick up a little bit of performance...2-3 mph. It is not that it is mandatory to run the boat really. Performance is what you are looking for.
Ken
1996 Tracker Bass Buggy
Merc 75
Wichita Falls, Texas

limulus

#33 Post by limulus » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:32 am

Ken,
My boat does not have the underskin and I never wanted to do it myself because I don't have a trailer. I know it would help. We did get a lift this year, so I can get under the boat now while it is in the slip. The motor is in the lowest position now. I also bought a Vance jackplate last year and my mechanic said it would not lower my motor any more than it already is. I bought a 6" model from this company:
http://carolinajackplate.us/
After looking at it, it appears that it is mostly used to raise the motor height without having to unbolt it. It is still in my garage, so I could have it installed just for the setback.

tuned

#34 Post by tuned » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:43 am

Hey Lim,
Sorry I didn't get you a prop size yet. Got real busy trying to finalize a sale of my big cuddy. Went for test ride yesterday and exhaust tube was leaking. Grrrr. Deal is shaky now. Prop size may not help much anyway as it is one of those funny composite Piranha props and they run a little different.

I took a good look at your jackplate and it should help you in a couple of ways.
1. The setback alone will make the boat 'longer', effectively moving your glide 'forward'. This will be noticed in that the 'fulcrum' will have moved forward six inches. Also, the water has six more inches to rise up to your prop.
2. You may be able to lower your motor with that plate yet. I couldn't tell from the pictures on the website, but it appears as if the mount heights of the holes are different from one half plate to the other. They should be identical pattern tho. Take a look at it. If the heights are different, you are in business. Mount it with one plate facing forward and it will raise your motor a bit. Flip it front to back (not top to bottom) and it will lower your motor a couple of inches. The plate will not care which face is forward. It needs to be right side up for sure, tho.
3. Be aware, your steering and or shift/throttle cables may not reach (or rub on the transom....). Take a very close look at this before even beginning. Have new cables on hand if they will be needed, or you could be in dry dock for a while while it all gets sorted out.

Damn, I wish I lived a little closer. I just started 2 weeks vacation and I could have you fixed up in no time. I know how much you have struggled with this thingy.

Keep the faith, bro.
ToddBob
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

limulus

#35 Post by limulus » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:54 am

Sounds like I may just have a new plan. I'll need to make arrangements for someone to take the boat out of the water. There is a Merc dealer that has ramp service. I believe I will talk to them about pulling the boat and putting the plate on. I'll do the prop next weekend.

tuned

#36 Post by tuned » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:11 pm

limulus wrote: There is a Merc dealer that has ramp service. I believe I will talk to them about pulling the boat and putting the plate on.
Make sure that they are comfortable with the 'backward' mount before they start work. If they are skeptical that the rear half of the plate (the lower half) will catch water flow, assure them that it WILL! :biggrin2 Maybe.
When I first put mine on that way, it caught just a bit of water and shot it straight up just in front of the motor about ten feet high :o I should have gotten some visual aids for that.
Solved it with a 'skid plate' screwed into the bottom of the jack. That may or may not happen to you. You're tail end is high and may not give you any problems there. Best to be prepared for anything tho.
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

KenR

#37 Post by KenR » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:20 pm

One thought on the jackplate not lowering the motor...my transom is at an angle so when I set the engine back 6 inches with a jackplate, it is automatically lower in the water. I'd be happy to send you pics of my setup if you like. email me...reit8472@sw.rr.com
Ken
1996 Tracker Bass Buggy
Merc 75
Wichita Falls, Texas

keosports

#38 Post by keosports » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:03 pm

what diameter pontoons do you have? 37mph is awesome for a 75hp, makes me want to throw this new 140hp in the garbage and bolt up my old yammy 70hp, my 140hp only goes 26mph, my 115hp went 28mph
21' sunbird tritoon deckboat E-Tec 150
25' fiberglass deck unknown mnf. Yam 70
20' rebuilt sweetwater Johnson 115
21' monark parts boat Evinrude 60
16' tango jet boat Merc 175
12' inflatable catamaran Yam 9.9
10' hobie sport mirage 1 Me-power

tuned

#39 Post by tuned » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 pm

keosports wrote:what diameter pontoons do you have? 37mph is awesome for a 75hp, makes me want to throw this new 140hp in the garbage and bolt up my old yammy 70hp, my 140hp only goes 26mph, my 115hp went 28mph
Hey Captain. This is an old thread. I might be the only waterglide guy from this thread that is still active on the forum. I am just in the process of selling mine, but I have quite a bit of experience with it if you need advice.
My general take at this point leans towards adding a shorty log or whole new third log with transom built in. That way you can add strakes in the process. Although I liked the Glide, the fact that the price has indeed been raised, well it leans me in the other direction. The third log option becomes more attractive as it is not that much more if you look around a bit.
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

keosports

#40 Post by keosports » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:53 pm

how much are you selling your glide for? what kind of increase did you get with yours? how do you think the guy in the thread got a 75hp to go 37mph?, he also said he was getting 28mph before the glide, that alone is amazing for a 75hp.

tuned

#41 Post by tuned » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:23 pm

keosports wrote:how much are you selling your glide for? what kind of increase did you get with yours? how do you think the guy in the thread got a 75hp to go 37mph?, he also said he was getting 28mph before the glide, that alone is amazing for a 75hp.

Not sure I'm buying his numbers. There is certainly a decent speed boost. The more horseys you can throw at it, the better it works.
I'm selling my Glide for $3500....attached to a boat....attached to a trailer.....ummm in Northern Minnesota.
Sooo, unless you forsee a road trip in your future--- :donno
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

keosports

#42 Post by keosports » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:58 am

if I where closer I would make the trip, that is a good deal, I have a 21ft tri hull sunbird deck boat that is getting the floor fiberglassed, hopefully it will be done this week, I am going to try my new (used)140hp on it to see how it goes, I have talked to 2 people with this same boat that got 35mph with a 130hp and 45mph with a 200hp.... so I am hoping my test drive with no furniture will hit 40, if so i will put my efforts into pimping that one out and selling off the rest of my boats, if not I will be looking to bolt on a glide to my finished 20ft / 115hp that goes 28mph.