First Impressions!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

rsmith

First Impressions!

#1 Post by rsmith » Wed May 05, 2010 12:08 pm

Well, we took delivery of our new toon yesterday afternoon and all I can say is Wow!

Being our first boat I was really impressed with it's performance - how quick it'll get up and go - and I have yet to actually jam the throttle open quickly. The winds were 20+ much of the time yesterday and the thing is really darn smooth over the chop. I probably would have been in pain had we been in a normal boat. The motor is smooth and quiet, I had to raise my voice, but that's just because were were doing 30+ and going against the wind so it was all wind noise.

We have a 17 pitch prop on it right now, with a 1/3 tank, 4 people on board but no other gear we're hitting max rpm easily, so we'll probably move to a 19 pitch. But we'll test out the boat with a couple more people on board, more gear, full tank of gas and a smoother lake. The dealer will put which ever prop on it we want, the 17p is our starting point for testing.

Pretty cool how adjusting the trip impacts the performance of the boat. I guess I've never paid attention to trim when a passenger of other boats, that or the owners didn't bother to trip things while underway.

The only rough part yesterday was learning to slip it. With the winds and also sharing a slip with another toon it was an interesting experience and a tight tight squeeze - 20ft wide slip for two toons doesn't leave much extra room. But I did it a couple times - took plenty of attempts to get in there, but as I learn the responsiveness of the boat and how wind impacts it I'll get much better.

Putting the full canvas up took us 15-20 minutes yesterday - not bad considering it was our first time and windy. I expect we'll get a fair bit quicker with a little more experience and as the canvas stretches a touch.

For those that may not had seen the previous pics, here are a few from our weekend trip to the dealer. I'll add some more photos from yesterday when I've got time to download them. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4867

It's going to be a great summer!
2010 25' Premier Escapade with PTX
200hp Mercury Verado

GXPWeasel

Re: First Impressions!

#2 Post by GXPWeasel » Wed May 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Sweet Ride Man!! :nana :nana :nana

That prop looks itty bitty on that bohemoth of a motor too. Glad to hear the dealer will put whatever you want on there. 19 or even a 21 sound good to me.

Enjoy the new toon. :biggrin2
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Wed May 05, 2010 12:14 pm

ImageImageImage
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

WaltF

#4 Post by WaltF » Thu May 06, 2010 8:47 am

SaaaaWEET! :nana :nana

Hey rsmith, are you slipping it at Chatfield?
The boating area is so small up there since they wont allow boating on like half the thing i didnt even know they had slips. :nana
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

rsmith

#5 Post by rsmith » Thu May 06, 2010 9:27 am

Yup, we're slipped at Chatty. I agree it's not a big lake, but since it's 15 minutes from home it's nice and convenient. I think they have 300 slips there. We plan to hit Pueblo and Blue Mesa for some weekend outings sometime this summer if it ever warms up around here!

I wouldn't be against them moving the no wake zones closer to shore in a couple areas, the south cove is a monster!
2010 25' Premier Escapade with PTX
200hp Mercury Verado

WaltF

#6 Post by WaltF » Fri May 07, 2010 8:48 am

Ya, 15 mins is gooood! :nana
Ya, we keep ours down in Pueblo. Its about a 45 min road trip... Not too bad.. :nana
Infact, ill be heading down there later today for the weekend! Hopefully it will warm up! Course its always warmer down there then up here! :rofl
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.