Throttle Question

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

Throttle Question

#1 Post by ROLAND » Fri May 07, 2010 2:30 am

Hey guys, got a question for you. The last time I had my boat out, I noticed that whenever I "goosed" the throttle, within a very short time, the throttle would just "back off" all by itself.. I called my dealer the other day to see about scheduling my first 10 hour service and I mentioned the throttle thing to him. Strange response. He told me that' it's just a screw adjustment, but that they couldn't / wouldn't do it because it's a safety thing with bennington. He told me that someone "might" be able to show "me" how to do it, but that the shop couldn't. Shouldn't the throttle stay where the hell you put it? Just curious.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Throttle Question

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Fri May 07, 2010 3:23 am

If not for lawyers, but yea I sure someone has the fix for you and will post it soon
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

oldmn19

#3 Post by oldmn19 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:07 am

What a bunch of crap from your dealer, look in the Yamaha booklet he should have given you at delivery. There is a screw on the bottom of the throttle control that adjusts the tension, you just need a regular screw driver and turn it in slightly a little at a time till it will stay where you put it. I had to adjust mine after break in as things loosened up, took about 30 seconds! Your dealer is a jerk, not to at least show you how to do it. Like Shakespeare said " kill all the lawyers"! :eviltaunt
2005 Tuscany TS2286FC by Sweetwater
22 ft, 90 hp 4s Yamaha
Lorance 332c GPS/Fishfinder
Minnkota copilot Trolling motor
3 battery's, tandem axle trailer pulled by 05 Dodge Quad Cab Hemi 2x2.

LTB Racing

#4 Post by LTB Racing » Fri May 07, 2010 5:00 am

oldmn19 wrote:What a bunch of crap from your dealer, look in the Yamaha booklet he should have given you at delivery. There is a screw on the bottom of the throttle control that adjusts the tension, you just need a regular screw driver and turn it in slightly a little at a time till it will stay where you put it. I had to adjust mine after break in as things loosened up, took about 30 seconds! Your dealer is a jerk, not to at least show you how to do it. Like Shakespeare said " kill all the lawyers"! :eviltaunt
Exactly!
LTB Racing
Quartershot T3-R Merc 2.5 260
Fiesta 18 Party Barge w/ Twin Evinrude 50's
http://WWW.LTBracing.com
"The great ones practice the basics"

GXPWeasel

#5 Post by GXPWeasel » Fri May 07, 2010 10:00 am

This is something that about all new boats have, at least that is what I was told. It is so if there isn't somene at the helm, eventually the boat will slow to idle speed, which would cause much less damage than full speed. Plus, we all know how often those kill switch lanyards get worn on a pontoon. :roll:

My throttle does this, and I really don't mind it that much, as I normally keep my hand on the throttle anyways, to adjust for waves/wakes and such.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26