Do People Really Want Help or Advice........

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Bamby

Do People Really Want Help or Advice........

#1 Post by Bamby » Mon May 17, 2010 12:14 pm

Do people really want help or maybe advice on the best way to repair or fix something about their boat. Or do they just want others to agree on some band-aid solution that may or may not fix anything with and satisfactory results. I've noticed that a few folks that posted here were seemingly disappointed with advice that folks gave them here, so they are searching for folks elsewhere that will go along with their proposed band-aid solution to their question. Here's and example here:http://www.pontoonstuff.com/forum/forum ... p?TID=5200 and here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=391973. :donno

I know a lot of folks here try to take the time to post reasonable answers to peoples questions. And often there is more ways than one to satisfactorily fix or resolve an issue. But geeze a guy with potential colander pontoons madly searching for someone to agree with him about painting them and his boat will then be safe for his family!!! :scared And who would think installing a couple U bolts would be such an issue!!!! I mean what is the costs, $15 bucks and twenty minutes or so. I guess I need to start drinking more of the cool-aid :drink and just go along with them for the ride.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

toondog

Re: Do People Really Want Help or Advice........

#2 Post by toondog » Mon May 17, 2010 12:39 pm

I did read your posted example threads and think better advise was given here. I think BMR nailed the paint issue. That said, I don't see any harm in getting as much information as you can.
The problem I do have is when people are posting questions everywhere in oder to pump a product they sell.
Those other sites are very boring too. Free speech rules. :thumbsup
Last edited by toondog on Mon May 17, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
96 20 special Grumman 50hp evinrude
13 Blazer outboard jet boat
11 12ft Perception Kayak
18 250 6.7 powerstroke

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky

dockholiday

#3 Post by dockholiday » Mon May 17, 2010 12:46 pm

very interesting.......Oh well............don't ask me.......................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I23kiv4f ... re=related

doc

mytee_hercules

#4 Post by mytee_hercules » Mon May 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Well, since you are using my question as an example, I guess I should chime in . . .

Yes, I posted the towing question on another site and, yes, I asked the question a couple of different ways and used "visual aids" to re-ask the question. There is a reason for this -- I didn't feel that some of the people answering the question fully understood what I was asking. Also, the post started getting sidetracked with comments about tie-off and docking.

I am looking for another way to pull my kids on their tube, not how to tie off my boat. The picture was to try to show what I was going for and see if anyone else had some sound previous experience other than "the tow bar came with the boat". I don't think (and that makes it my opinion) that long-term pulling from the eyelets above the toons is a good idea, therefore, I am looking for a "creative" solution that won't cost me hundreds of dollars.

I read your response concerning putting cleats back there and I appreciate your input. I am not sure that the bolts that secure the cleats would be strong enough to support constant pulling of one or two people over time. Regardless, I do appreciate your response and it gave me a direction to research and find something that will work in the long run.

With that said, it's very easy to comment. It's much harder to suggest -- that requires knowledge. Try to praise in public, and complain in private . . . let the good information help those who are asking themselves the same questions but aren't posting them. That way we all can get some perspective on things and all benefit from other's information.
Hangin' in Little Rock . . .

1996 Sun Tracker Party Barge 24
1996 Force 120hp 4-cyl 2-stroke
15p aluminum prop
25 mph @ 4800 rpm

WaltF

#5 Post by WaltF » Mon May 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Its all good!
Ive posted questions to see what others thought even though i had my own thoughts on what i was gonna do.
Sometimes i took the advice, others ive gone ahead and done what i was gonna do anyways.
Sometimes ive asked cause i had no idea, and someone on here did and saved me!

So, its prob alittle bit of both....

NOW, for a VERY important question.
WHO LIKES BEER?! :nana :nana :rofl :rofl :thumbsup :alright :alright :drink4 :drink4 :drink4 :drink4 :drink :eviltaunt :lol:
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

slingshot

#6 Post by slingshot » Mon May 17, 2010 3:54 pm

I can't really get to upset over people shopping other sites for advice on the same issue. As much as I respect the years of experience that this site obviously has it's still wise to do as much research on a topic as possible before making the final decision, regardless if it's about what boat to buy or how to fix a problem. I feel bad for the fella that bought that toon with the wrong kind of bottom paint on it. That's going to cost thousands to replace those toons. If only he had done the same research that he is now doing before he bought that boat. Surely he saw the damage on the toons before he bought it.
2007, 2570 Crest LE II
Yamaha F150

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#7 Post by lakerunner » Mon May 17, 2010 5:10 pm

Any one remember Judgepaw on the other site that got mad at me because he didn't like the cheap way I said to make cover weights using 2 liter pop bottles. He wanted to buy fancy hooks that screwed on where lids went. I suggested using an eye bolt through the lid that came with it. He cussed me out and left the site.

As far a pulling tubes using pontoon eyes I do and always will. Been boating for 35 years and have pulled tubes, many boats in trouble and some of them pretty big with no problems. I think factory's and dealers say no to cover their ass if one does break.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

Ray Jr.

#8 Post by Ray Jr. » Mon May 17, 2010 5:29 pm

Our dealer actually said it was ok to use the eyes to tow a tube and for some skiing.
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck
2010 Premier Sunsation LTD 225 PTX
2010 150 HP Mercury Optimax
got rid of POS 2010 Yacht club dual axle triple log trailer
now have a 2012 Shoreland'r dual axle triple log trailer, MUCH NICER

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#9 Post by badmoonrising » Mon May 17, 2010 9:48 pm

Lol, I like the advice they gave swiss cheese log guy at iBoats. Muriatic acid damage ? Not likely, unless the guy is boating in Muriatic Acid Lake. Not one comment suggesting it's the wrong paint. :rofl I to;d the guy like it is because I don't want him or anyone he takes out on that thing to get hurt. If he didn't like my advice, too bad. I never sugarcoat.

Btw, Tracker (factory) informed me those eyelets can't handle side to side stress....I called them myself, bypassing the dealer who didn't have a clue. We don't pull tubes or wakes board, skiers, etc with the pontoon but then again my marina isn't in a no-wake zone and tides can vary 3-5 ft so that's a lot of stress people boating on lakes won't have to deal with.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD