So can I introduce myself with the first of many questions?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Rudebob

So can I introduce myself with the first of many questions?

#1 Post by Rudebob » Mon May 17, 2010 4:19 pm

I just found this site after buying my first pontoon project last week. Yeah I will probably be hitting you folks up with a few questions but let me ask your thoughts on my inital concern. I purchased a 1993 19' sea nymph. It's been beaten up pretty good by mother nature-needing carpet, possibly some decking, upholstery, new bimini, etc. which I plan to replace pretty quickly. I purchased it mainly believeing mechanically it is sound as the motor was replaced with a new 2003 Johnson 50 H.P. and was indicated to have run less than 100 gallons of fuel since new (based on oil reservoir fills).

We took it out yesterday for a "sea trial" and I immediately noticed that the motor gets a lot of water streaming off the underside of the powerhead (below the cowling). Mostly it is on the underside but the hole motor cover gets its share of spashing. Is this normal? I have owned several boats over the years, including outboards, but this is my first pontoon. None of my outboards ever got this kind of incidental water contact so far up on the powerhead. A cursory inspection after running the motor for 30 minutes or so showed no water accumulations under the cowl but I still don't think this is right. Any thoughts would be appreciated if this is normal or not.

Thanks,

'bob

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: So can I introduce myself with the first of many questions?

#2 Post by lakerunner » Mon May 17, 2010 5:00 pm

I know what you mean on water splashing. You got to understand a 2 logger is pushing through the water instead of riding over it. A lot of water is pushed through the opening between motor well and logs. Plus the motor mounting sometimes sticks down below the well and water is picked up through that area. My last toon shot so much water up in front I had to install a aluminum plate that closed that area off.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

toondog

Re: So can I introduce myself with the first of many questions?

#3 Post by toondog » Mon May 17, 2010 5:26 pm

That sounds pretty normal to me. Here's a look at mine. Not a real good video shot, but right about 20 seconds into the video you can see all the water splashing up and around my motor.

96 20 special Grumman 50hp evinrude
13 Blazer outboard jet boat
11 12ft Perception Kayak
18 250 6.7 powerstroke

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky