Repaired Aluminum Prop

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

wed

Repaired Aluminum Prop

#1 Post by wed » Mon May 17, 2010 7:43 pm

Don't know if anyone is interested but thought I would give results after having prop repaired. Went to local Prop Shop and $43 later walked out with a prop that looked like new. Put it on this past weekend and gave it a test run. OK, ran great with no vibration but performance was very different.
Original prop performance 13.25 X 17 - 39 MPH @ 6000 RPM with one person on board (with two people max RPM was about 5800.
Repaired prop performance 31 MPH @ 6000 RPM with two people on board and FULL tank of gas.
I think I will have shop adjust it a little to get performance in between, they have a 30 day adjustment on their repairs. This will be my backup prop. Anyone have any advice on this?

Installed new Turning Point Hustler 13.25X17. It generates a lot of bow rise and seems to have better bite at low rpm. Was able to trim a steady 34 MPH GPS @ 5600 RPM with three adults on board and full tank of gas. Made a trip with 5 adults on board and this prop really struggled with best speed around 27 with RPM down around 5200. I will have to be careful not to load up motor when running heavy. May be worth changing to backup prop when heavy.

Hey, It was a great weekend to be on the lake! Both of my boys showed up unexpected and we spent some quality time on the lake. Didn't catch any fish but the cruising was great, lake was like glass most of the day.
2009 Tracker Fishing Barge 21 /NV logs/90 Merc 4 stroke
2007 GMC Sierra
Toledo Bend Reservoir Louisiana (mostly)

Bmac

Re: Repaired Aluminum Prop

#2 Post by Bmac » Mon May 17, 2010 8:10 pm

Dunno whether or not you lost any dia. in that prop repair,but sounds like it's slipping bad now. You can have them take 1"-2" of pitch out of that stainless,maybe add a lil trailing edge cup to lift the stern more. When going stainless from aluminum of the same dia. drop at least an inch in pitch. Less flex in the stainless = less slip,usually have more cup too.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Mon May 17, 2010 9:35 pm

You can have them put some cup in it, that seems to work well for toons.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

wed

#4 Post by wed » Tue May 18, 2010 4:49 am

Bmac

My apologies, I did not specify that the new prop is aluminum. I chose to stay with aluminum due to the amount of submerged trees in the lake. The new prop appears to be progressive pitch with what appears to be a pretty good cup, way more than the original one.

I will have the repaired Solas amuminum adjusted to limit the amount of slip.

Thanks for the feedback.
2009 Tracker Fishing Barge 21 /NV logs/90 Merc 4 stroke
2007 GMC Sierra
Toledo Bend Reservoir Louisiana (mostly)