Fishfinder problems

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

johncran

Fishfinder problems

#1 Post by johncran » Thu May 27, 2010 1:04 pm

I purchased a Garmin FF 140 and no matter how I route the transducer out the back to the bracket I come up about 2' too short. So then I purchased the recommended extension cable and the connectors are too small. WTF!!?? It's the cable Garmin recommends on their site!
I'm ready to return the whole mess. Can anybody recommend an inexpensive FF with a long enough cable? My "toon is 22'

TIA, John

jimrs

Re: Fishfinder problems

#2 Post by jimrs » Thu May 27, 2010 9:50 pm

That is weird, I bought a Hummingbird and the cable was about 18" too long. Are you sure you have all the slack out and it's not hung on something under the toons? Did you route it along side the original wires and cables from the back to the console?
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

GXPWeasel

Re: Fishfinder problems

#3 Post by GXPWeasel » Fri May 28, 2010 6:12 am

Try what jimrs said. Also, are you running this directly to the back of the toon? I know on my toon, the helm is on the startbird (right) and the depth transducer ( or fish finder transducer ) is on the port (left). One could save a lot of distance by mounting to the same toon as the helm is on, or you could run the cable diagonally along the bottom of the deck, instead of running with the deck to the back, then over. Other than that, this is all the help I can provide, without pictreus, and actually doing it myself.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26