Head Lights or Spot Light ??

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

timmac

#1 Post by timmac » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:22 am

I am planing on some night driving lights for my pontoon, what are you folks using, hand held spot light or fixed lights in front, whats best.

I would like to have a pole mounted/hand held type up at drivers helm so I can also use it as a search light, any ideas, pics, links, etc...

:idea:

kimbercarry

#2 Post by kimbercarry » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:00 pm

Been told it was illegal to run headlights on the water except for docking so we use the following:
Stanley has a 35 watt HID spotlight #HID0109 that outshines any XX-million candlepower light on the market. The sucker is the brightest handheld light I've seen. Spots buoys miles away. Rechargeable, but can be operated from a cigarette lighter. List 79.95 Wallyworld 69.88. (No connection with "Stanley or Wallyworld)

OldePharte

Re: Head Lights or Spot Light ??

#3 Post by OldePharte » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:52 pm

Ya didn't say where you're planing on boating at night.

But around my neck of the woods, ya don't do it. Granted a full moon can help a lot, but any type of white light not only reduces your night vision, but can really affect the vision of others comin' at ya.

That said, I do carry a spotlight primarily for lighting up something in the water that I don't think belongs there. A quick on then off. A number of years ago, I noted a "black hole" in the scenery. Come to find out it was a rather large rental houseboat that lost all lighting and was trying to find a spot to set for the night.
'09 Neptoon Sport 25TT SunLounger w/150 Honda

What happens at the lake stays at the lake. Unless I have my camera handy.

toondog

#4 Post by toondog » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Yes, it's illegal to have any other lights other than the navigation lights on while under way. If your like the only one on the water, I doubt you would ever be stooped though. It depends on how "back woods" your lake is.
I did rig me up a single 4x4 flood light on a clamp, added wire and a cigarette lighter plug.
96 20 special Grumman 50hp evinrude
13 Blazer outboard jet boat
11 12ft Perception Kayak
18 250 6.7 powerstroke

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky

timmac

#5 Post by timmac » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:35 pm

I guess I need to read up on the laws more, haven't been boating in the night at all, have seen some boats with small lights in front guess its just for docking as you say.

Well at least I can stick to my spotlight idea, still prefer it to be mounted at helm area for easy access, anyone know where spot lights with mounts can be found, I have seen the Stanley at wallymart but that thing is heavy..

dockholiday

#6 Post by dockholiday » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:37 pm

here is some to choose from
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... mpleSearch

if the link doesn't work go to west marine an search spotlight

crspang

#7 Post by crspang » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:55 am

Yes it is illegal to use docking lights while underway. We saw a few boats get stopped by LE this past Saturday night while out to watch the fireworks.

Check with your local power squadron for rules and safety classes.

slowdog

#8 Post by slowdog » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:14 pm

try a golight it has a remote for it

cncmaster

#9 Post by cncmaster » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:32 am

since are on this topic, and i know its not legal to have your docking lights and or spot light on when boating, but how about when your at a cove with your bimini , mood, courtesy and perhaps a small camping light ..?

paulangelo

#10 Post by paulangelo » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:48 am

if your anchored in the cove, having camping lights isn't a problem. I close my back bimini and turn on my anchor light and it lights up my whole boat. When under way, I have the back bimini opened so to have me in the shade and not be blinded. My boat has docking lights adn we use them, wellll, when docking, and I have a hand held I use for finding the no wake bouys and jerks running without any lights. It's a 2 million candle powerd light adn does a great job. A couple of years ago, coming back from fireworks a boat in front of me thought is would be funny (they were in a 26' bayliner and me in a pontoon) to turn their flashlight on my. I think the lady thought I was too close. She was probable more scared adn not used to being out at night. But that handheld flashlight was shining right at my face, so I thought I would return the favor. Shined my hand held into their help. Lit them up like it was noon with all the white on their boat. She turned off her flashlight really quick and I could see the guy driving yelling at her for starting that! Don't think she would do that to anyone again.

Drago

#11 Post by Drago » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:27 pm

I use a Surefire Z2 with the 80 lumen LED bulb for spotting the markers fishermen tie to their baited lines (most have reflector tape that can be spotted hundreds of yards away). It's a small handheld combat flashlight that is remarkably bright and easy to use. Keep in mind that any bright light source that is used near your head has the potential of illuminating all the moisture in the air in the light column. This will simply bounce back at you and cripple your dark adaption (night vision). If done too long, it takes a good bit of time to become dark adapted again.
Kenneth & Joy
Lake Conroe, Texas
2007 Bennington 2577RFSi
2006 Yamaha F225
Solas 14.25x17SS prop
Best ever top speed 69.2KPH