Safety, Safety, Safety

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Towdaddy

Safety, Safety, Safety

#1 Post by Towdaddy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:26 pm

There was a 8 year old boy killed on Hardy Lake in Michigan this weekend while riding on a pontoon. My understanding is the boat was rented and that the boy was riding on the front of the boat with his feet hanging in the water while under power. He was pulled in and under the boat and struck by the prop. This is a tragic accident that could have been avoided by observing the basic safety rules.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.a ... yid=127034

Just thought I would post this as a reminder to everyone to have fun but to be safe while doing it.
Jeff

----------------------------------
Peggy Sue
25 x 10' 2009 Premier Escapade
225 Mercury Verado

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Safety, Safety, Safety

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:59 pm

That is sad and didn't have to happen, even if I let the kids ride in the front fishing seats and mine are inside the playpen, I'm not going fast at all, not like I could with all that plowing.

But everybody is in the back for faster travel, never know when you might catch a wave the wrong way and throw them out of the front seats.

Be safe and bring home all the love one's
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

dockholiday

#3 Post by dockholiday » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:04 pm

Saw the same thing from my lot about a month ago although there was no injury. About 10 second after I said those idiots a blue light showed up behind them. Don't know if they were ticketed but he kept them a good while. I sure can see why it is against the law. If you fall off the front it is only seconds before the prop hit you.
doc

toondog

#4 Post by toondog » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:49 pm

That is sad. I wonder if the boat rental people went over all the rules and safety stuff. Not that it would protect the ignorant anyway.
It wouldn't be a bad ideal to put prop guards on rentals.
96 20 special Grumman 50hp evinrude
13 Blazer outboard jet boat
11 12ft Perception Kayak
18 250 6.7 powerstroke

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#5 Post by badmoonrising » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:50 pm

We had a 12 year old girl elected from the bow of a small bow rider last summer, not wearing a PFD. She drowned, unfortunately. This season, there has been a huge crackdown on bow riding and PFD usage by the local PD and the Coast Guard.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

BassFrequency

#6 Post by BassFrequency » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:22 pm

what scares the hell out of me on LOTO, is when ya see 10 kids danglin thier feet off the bow rail of a moving sea ray yacht
24' 1989 Starcraft 23.1mph gps
60HP Evinrude
'96 GMC Jimmy "The Demon" custom 8 ball lever 4x4
no muffler or cat. just strait to the back

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#7 Post by HandymanHerb » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:06 pm

Prop guard wouldn't help there, the prop wouldn't get you,
but that big metal point on the engine would do you in.

ROLAND

#8 Post by ROLAND » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:38 am

badmoonrising wrote:We had a 12 year old girl elected from the bow of a small bow rider last summer, not wearing a PFD. She drowned, unfortunately. This season, there has been a huge crackdown on bow riding and PFD usage by the local PD and the Coast Guard.
Not exactly a "boating tragedy", but just under 2 weeks ago here in shreveport, louisiana we had a tragedy on the red river. 6 teens were playing on a sand bar on the red and playing in shallow water. What they did not know is that just off the sand bar is a 25 to 30 foot drop, and from what I understand one of the teens went under. The rest tried to save him and when all was said and done, 6 teens had drowned. None of them wearing pfd's & none of them knew how to swim. What a tragedy... now here's the kicker... the next weekend saw a news item where some families were out in the same area where the 6 teens drowned. Saw one interview with a woman who said she knew her kids should be wearing life vests, but, and these are her words paraphrased " but we're right here with them ".... WTF.... Any one who can't swim, not wearing a pfd and gets caught up in the river current.... forget about it. I just don't understand how you could let your kids do that, especially in light of what happened the week before on that very same river... go figure.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

oldmn19

#9 Post by oldmn19 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:42 am

PROVES AGAIN YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!! It's so sad that a child has to lose their life because the adults just don't get it!!!!! :donno
2005 Tuscany TS2286FC by Sweetwater
22 ft, 90 hp 4s Yamaha
Lorance 332c GPS/Fishfinder
Minnkota copilot Trolling motor
3 battery's, tandem axle trailer pulled by 05 Dodge Quad Cab Hemi 2x2.

OldePharte

#10 Post by OldePharte » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:45 am

BassFrequency wrote:what scares the hell out of me on LOTO, is when ya see 10 kids danglin thier feet off the bow rail of a moving sea ray yacht
Very much agreed. And none of them have a PFD on or even near by. How they can get by with that, amazes me. I guess some politician will have to lose a child before it gets stopped.
'09 Neptoon Sport 25TT SunLounger w/150 Honda

What happens at the lake stays at the lake. Unless I have my camera handy.

Bamby

#11 Post by Bamby » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:48 am

This was taken from http://www.USCGboating.org

Beware of Boat Propellers…The Hidden Danger

Attention: All Swimmers, Skiers, Tubers, Anglers, Wake Boarders, And Recreational Boaters

Understand the danger of a boat propeller, Did You Know?

A typical three-blade propeller running at 3,200 rpm can inflict 160 impacts in one second.

A typical recreational propeller can travel from head to toe on an average person in less than one tenth of a second.

Most propeller accidents CAN be prevented

What Can You Do?

You can view or continue the rest here: http://blog.pontoonhouseboatodyssey.com ... anger.aspx or attempt to dig it out of the coast guard site posted above. This is a serious safety danger we should all take very seriously and into consideration when even in the proximity of a boat or boat traffic.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#12 Post by HandymanHerb » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:26 am

That's why I run a prop guard, the kids love to swim around, under the toon, even not running, the prop can cut you if you hit it.

Besides I wouldn't give up my prop guard even without the kids because of the slow speed handing it gives you, that and in low water you can tilt the engine up and it acts like a jet drive.

Besides it already saved a 9 foot gator and my prop, he would have lived through it my prop wouldn't have, they have a hard head.

GXPWeasel

#13 Post by GXPWeasel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:42 am

This is soo very sad.
You really have to wonder how someone, an adult none the less, can be so ignorant to not think that if a boat is moving, that the force of the water current will no doubt at some point be stronger than the person/object the force is pulling against. What the Hell did the guy thing would happen if his kid fell off the boat???? To me, if this person has more kids, they should seriously be put under some type of parental review to ensure they are smart enough to have kids.

Like I've told my freinds before, you should be required to have a license to have kids. That would fix a lot of dumbass parents problems, and hell, probably make our society smarter in the long run. Just sad that something like this has to happen at all. We all know that nothing will change in the way of National laws because of this one incident. :(
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

toondog

#14 Post by toondog » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Unfortunately ignorant people will continue to do stupid things and even post their stupidity on youtube. :hammer

96 20 special Grumman 50hp evinrude
13 Blazer outboard jet boat
11 12ft Perception Kayak
18 250 6.7 powerstroke

Jump aboard, let's take a ride. <-clicky

jimrs

#15 Post by jimrs » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:59 pm

"We all know that nothing will change in the way of National laws because of this one incident."

I hope they don't change the laws to cover some stupid asses ass.

Thats the problem now we try to have the government control every aspect of our lives. Then we get mad because they have the power. When do people take responsibility for their own actions, plus it's not against the law to be stupid.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau