Greetings from still toasty Tucson, AZ.
I've spent a bit of time searching, but found no interesting threads so throwing it out there for discussion. I have this (probably) insane
idea of taking my Chalet folding travel trailer - wheels and all - and simply parking it on top of a pontoon boat deck. An instant house boat.
I intend on using it at Lake Powell. I envision literally backing it on to the pontoon with extension ramps and wheel "guide channels" running the length of the deck, unhitch and tie it down with chain binders or some 10K lb. heavy duty ratcheting straps at all four corners. Obviously the wheels would need to be well chocked front and rear, or a "locater slot" for each wheel built into the deck. On a level surface this trailer can easily be pushed by two people with a "nose wheel" inserted in the crank up jack on the hitch. Securing it is not an issue I am concerned with.
1. My trailer weights 1950 lbs. dry, so I figure another 400 lbs. or so for water, propane.
2. My max occupancy will be four passengers, so I'm using 800 lbs. for that figure including personal gear and food.
3. I'm now up to 3,200 lbs. of "cargo "
4. I plan on using a 28' 1988 Sun Tracker Party Hut - [color=#0040FF]completely stripped of everything
[/color]above the deck except for the helm. It's has the third log (see, I already know some pontoon lingo)
so wondering if this will allow me to park the trailer more rearward than a typical twin pontoon.
5. I'm thinking a 150 hp Honda engine as my power source. (I'm a huge Honda fan...) I want this bad boy to motate
- Lake Powell is HUGE and the winds can be wicked at times.
Attached is a picture of my trailer opened. The body of the trailer is 16' long, and 19' over all to the tip of the hitch. 73" tall when folded and completely flat, basically a large rectangular cube. http://www.ChaletRV.com
Be gentle on me, I've spent the last 28 years in the air as a Commercial Pilot, so even though I've sailed a few times I'm relatively new to water.
OK, as a newb I'm an easy target.
Tell me why this wouldn't work!
Questions: Can anyone guess what all the "stuff" on top of the 28' Tracker Party Hut weighs - and minus all these goodies - how much gross weight could I carry?
Thanks in advance for your insights - and yes - I am 100% serious. Thank you berry much.