A folding travel trailer on top of a 28' pontoon boat.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

RonKMiller

Re: A folding travel trailer on top of a 28' pontoon boat.

#196 Post by RonKMiller » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Leisure Kraft wrote:Wow, Ron... this is looking incredible! And I like the review on the SunTuf material you've got there on the front. :thumbsup
I need something that can punch through the 3 foot wakes the freaking tour boats create without swamping the entire front of the boat. :scared 21 inch logs just don't cut it! It DID wake up my wife and poodle as the water cascaded over the front rail up onto the couch. :rofl

A couple of times I thought the bow was going down permanently :prayer There was one time when I was absolutely convinced we were sinking until the water drained and it popped back up. :drink

GregF

#197 Post by GregF » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:36 pm

I saw a boat in the keys that had a sloped bow plane to pop it out when it went under.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

Leisure Kraft

#198 Post by Leisure Kraft » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:07 pm

RonKMiller wrote:
Leisure Kraft wrote:Wow, Ron... this is looking incredible! And I like the review on the SunTuf material you've got there on the front. :thumbsup
I need something that can punch through the 3 foot wakes the freaking tour boats create without swamping the entire front of the boat. :scared 21 inch logs just don't cut it! It DID wake up my wife and poodle as the water cascaded over the front rail up onto the couch. :rofl

A couple of times I thought the bow was going down permanently :prayer There was one time when I was absolutely convinced we were sinking until the water drained and it popped back up. :drink
I know where you can get some twenty-fives. :biggrin2
Michael Blankenship 931-484-2681
Leisure Kraft Pontunes - 1996 Peavine Road, Crossville, TN 38571
http://www.LeisureKraft.com
Find us on the Pontoon Forum members map: http://www.zeemaps.com/295621/Leisure_Kraft_Pontunes

blackberg

#199 Post by blackberg » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:15 pm

you have that mini center tube right?

maybe upgrade to a larger full length center tube may help

-bb

RonKMiller

#200 Post by RonKMiller » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:46 pm

The center tube is a 20 foot X 21" diameter - the outers 28' by 21". I've strongly considered a larger and longer center tube, but what I really need is more ground - errr - water - clearance to stay high and dry. 36" should do it. :lol3

During one run I actually chased a huge wake as it went ashore and was able to pace it with the bow literally following by about 6 feet. It was pretty cool since it was in effect a "standing" wave. We went for 1/2 mile before it petered out on a long, gently sloping beach area with incredibly warm water. My wife was TOTALLY freaked out since she thought we were going to fall into the trough. KEWL! :alright

I would have pulled out the smart phone and run some video, but then I remembered my marine hand held now residing in Davey Jone's locker. :x

blackberg

#201 Post by blackberg » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:15 pm

are you T crossing the waves?

thats what I do when I see wakes coming, sometimes making sharp looking right or left hand turns, Last time out this huge water taxi 60' and 80' barge taking workers and supplies to the oil rigs made some huge ones, the biggest ive seen, was able to cross them like a T just in time and didnt really feel them, this was in the Harbor at night

-bb

ezrollin

#202 Post by ezrollin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Here's a better idea, 8x12 cabin on 28' with 3rd ton added.
Attachments
download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (7.49 KiB) Viewed 3166 times

Leisure Kraft

#203 Post by Leisure Kraft » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:45 am

RonKMiller wrote:During one run I actually chased a huge wake as it went ashore and was able to pace it with the bow literally following by about 6 feet. It was pretty cool since it was in effect a "standing" wave. We went for 1/2 mile before it petered out on a long, gently sloping beach area with incredibly warm water. My wife was TOTALLY freaked out since she thought we were going to fall into the trough. KEWL! :alright
Sounds like you've invented a form of reverse pontoon-surfing. I hope you had the Beach Boys playing on your CD player. :lol3
Find us on the Pontoon Forum members map: http://www.zeemaps.com/295621/Leisure_Kraft_Pontunes

RonKMiller

#204 Post by RonKMiller » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:51 pm

New short video of the Y-Knot at speed:

(click on the full screen button if you like music)

margaritaman

#205 Post by margaritaman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:39 am

Nice video Ron, Thanks for posting.
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

woolznaz

#206 Post by woolznaz » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:45 pm

Yep, nice video. I hope to drag our boat from the Phoenix area up to Lake Powell next summer, too. Looks great, Ron. Thanks for sharing.
2007 South Bay 925 Tri-toon
5.7 Volvo I/O
Tow Vehicle: Toyota Tundra, 1794 Edition

Leisure Kraft

#207 Post by Leisure Kraft » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Nicely done, Ron. In the specs you forgot to mention how many beers the cooler would hold. ha

RonKMiller

#208 Post by RonKMiller » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:10 pm

woolznaz wrote:Yep, nice video. I hope to drag our boat from the Phoenix area up to Lake Powell next summer, too. Looks great, Ron. Thanks for sharing.
'Ya know it's kinda funny. I've been very fortunate and had the opportunity to have some wonderful adventures and amazing vacations in my life - but this.... was just way too cool.

The privacy aspect - which is just about impossible to find anywhere - was just overwhelming. If I wanted to strip all my clothes off at high noon and howl at the moon - well - I just DID it. Hiking alone all day in the canyons was even more fun since there was a serious element of danger to it. Amy was content just hanging out on the front couch and reading while I had more than one "walk about". I just told here what general direction I was going and if I wasn't back in a couple of hours before sun down to come looking for me - and bring the first aid kit. Her only comment: "Have fun!"

I will admit to taking my hand held aircraft radio, whistle and signal mirror with me. I took my cell phone too, but they're pretty much worthless unless you climb up onto a high bluff - and even then they are sketchy.

We can't wait to go back, and already have two weeks in late May and early October planned for next year.

CARAVAN! :biggrin2

RonKMiller

#209 Post by RonKMiller » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Leisure Kraft wrote:Nicely done, Ron. In the specs you forgot to mention how many beers the cooler would hold. ha
LOL, one thing as a newbie I DID figure out is that you can put double the amount of cans in a cooler vs. bottles. DOH!

I did miss my talking Three Stooges bottle opener that says: "How about a beer?" - and then has Curley saying: "Certainly - woob woob woob, nyuk, nyuk nyuk" in the back ground: :rofl

Hey, I'm easily entertained....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5j8Jioan1w
curly.jpg
curly.jpg (19.4 KiB) Viewed 2879 times

Leisure Kraft

#210 Post by Leisure Kraft » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:09 am

I've done enough wandering-about in Yosemite to know what you mean. I like the element of uncertainty, combined with the kind of weariness you have at the end of the day.

:thumbsup