A folding travel trailer on top of a 28' pontoon boat.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: A folding travel trailer on top of a 28' pontoon boat.

#31 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:49 am

juliet99 wrote:I have found out on my research that the average weight for a loaded trailer is approximately 22 tons. But I think it depends on how far and how much weight you will need to move. But think of this, some places will give you estimates.
What a rock trailer???
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

RonKMiller

#32 Post by RonKMiller » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:31 am

Rooster368 wrote:Just out of curiousity, do you plan on keeping the play pen?

If not, is it legal to remove the fencing (even if it is just the front railing?
I plan on removing just about everything on the deck - and hopefully selling it, but I have a feeling it will end up in the dump.

I don't think there is any specification requiring the railing but I could be wrong - have not looked into that yet. My best guess is that you need to have the standard stuff on board - fire extinguisher, life jackets, etc. - but since work barges operate with no railing...

RonKMiller

#33 Post by RonKMiller » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:33 am

Parasympathetic wrote:Mmmm, this will be fun. The first project of the Winter and we get to watch. :drink4
Should be entertaining - like an accident in slow motion. :lol3 I think a lot of the decisions I make will involve barley therapy.

Hey, maybe I can figure out a way to charge admission to my blog - and come up with the $10K I need for that new motor??

RonKMiller

#34 Post by RonKMiller » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:37 am

juliet99 wrote:I have found out on my research that the average weight for a loaded trailer is approximately 22 tons. But I think it depends on how far and how much weight you will need to move. But think of this, some places will give you estimates.
50% of that weight would be my wife's shoes. :wink:

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#35 Post by badmoonrising » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:47 am

Juliet99 was a spammer, lol....he/she's gone. :x
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

Rooster368

#36 Post by Rooster368 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:10 pm

RonKMiller wrote:I plan on removing just about everything on the deck - and hopefully selling it, but I have a feeling it will end up in the dump.

I don't think there is any specification requiring the railing but I could be wrong - have not looked into that yet. My best guess is that you need to have the standard stuff on board - fire extinguisher, life jackets, etc. - but since work barges operate with no railing...

I wasn't sure after reading this thread....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6161

Maybe NH is the only state with a law against it, but none-the-less, it may be worth a phone call to a conservation officer in your state.

dodger

#37 Post by dodger » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:54 pm

I remember watching a video from a fella in either Aust. or NZ that did just this, may have been a youtube, do a search there and see what you come up with using camper/pontoon as search words.
2014 Bennington 24 S tritoon with lifting stakes/25" tubes/ gas tank in center tube/ infloor storage/ vinyl floor/ electric bimini/dual batteries/ upgraded Sony stereo/changing room
Yamaha 150
SeaStar steering

Parasympathetic

#38 Post by Parasympathetic » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:05 pm

I don't think you can have anyone on deck while underway unless you have a rail or the deck is below the gunwales.

2015 Ranger RT175
Yamaha 70hp
Lake Wappapello, MO

IF WE MAKE GUNS ILLEGAL, THEN NOBODY WILL GET SHOT ANYMORE. THAT'S HOW WE STOPPED EVERYBODY FROM DOING DRUGS.

GregF

#39 Post by GregF » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:24 pm

It would be interesting to see that law cited. I agree that there are plenty of work barges around here without any kind of railing. Some are actually stripped pontoons.

OTOH I would certainly want rails on my boat, particularly with that "first step" problem.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#40 Post by badmoonrising » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:31 pm

There's plenty or work boats around here with no railings, haven't seen any recreational vessels without them though. I'd make some phone calls to make sure you will be compliant in your state.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

Parasympathetic

#41 Post by Parasympathetic » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:47 pm

GregF wrote:It would be interesting to see that law cited. I agree that there are plenty of work barges around here without any kind of railing. Some are actually stripped pontoons.

OTOH I would certainly want rails on my boat, particularly with that "first step" problem.
I don't know about any other states, but this is from the Missouri handbook:

Riding on the Bow, Deck, or Gunwale

Allowing passengers to ride on the bow, gunwale, transom, seat backs, seats on raised decks, or any other place where there may be a chance of falling overboard is prohibited unless the vessel has adequate guards or a railing. Guards or railings must be at least 6 inches high (not to exceed 18 inches in height) to be considered adequate.

2015 Ranger RT175
Yamaha 70hp
Lake Wappapello, MO

IF WE MAKE GUNS ILLEGAL, THEN NOBODY WILL GET SHOT ANYMORE. THAT'S HOW WE STOPPED EVERYBODY FROM DOING DRUGS.

GregF

#42 Post by GregF » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:54 pm

That doesn't say anything about standing on the deck.
1974 Harris

Parasympathetic

#43 Post by Parasympathetic » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Well, yes it does. It's pretty clear to me.
read it again

2015 Ranger RT175
Yamaha 70hp
Lake Wappapello, MO

GregF

#44 Post by GregF » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:55 pm

I just looked at the Florida statutes and they are silent on the rail issue. I don't even see a rule about riding on the bow although I have seen people stopped for it. That may have just been an "unsafe operation" beef, which has a lot to do with the discretion of the officers.
1974 Harris

GregF

#45 Post by GregF » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:58 pm

Allowing passengers to ride on the bow, gunwale, transom, seat backs, seats on raised decks, or any other place where there may be a chance of falling overboard is prohibited unless the vessel has adequate guards or a railing. Guards or railings must be at least 6 inches high (not to exceed 18 inches in height) to be considered adequate.
I see "raised decks" but nothing about the main deck.
This is not the statute anyway, it is a rollup in a handbook. Do you have a link to the statutes?

Florida is here
http://flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm? ... pter%20327

BTW I think a 6" rail is not contributing much to safety. It is more of a trip hazard. 18" maximum? What are they saying?
1974 Harris