A folding travel trailer on top of a 28' pontoon boat.

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

RonKMiller

New sunshades installed!

#211 Post by RonKMiller » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:02 am

Time for an update. I installed 3 roll up sun shades from Costco. They were on sale for $50.00 each last March so I snagged them, and just finished my installation a couple of days ago.

I had to custom cut the length - which was no big deal - since they don't have a strong "clutch" to keep them from unrolling all the way when blown by hard wind. I used stainless steel tarp springs to secure them with S hooks. The flimsy plastic rods at the bottom were replaced with 1/2" conduit, holes drilled to accept the S hooks and end caps installed to finish them off. I also installed some small eye bolts near the top of the springs to act as "keepers" to keep them from flopping over when not connected.

It's SO nice to have a shady respite from the sun, yet still be able to see out. During the day you can't see in at all, and if you keep the lights off at night you still have complete privacy as well.

The best $200.00 I've spent in quite a while!
shade1.jpg
shade1.jpg (387.93 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
shade2.jpg
shade2.jpg (384.09 KiB) Viewed 3289 times
shade3.jpg
shade3.jpg (247.94 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
shade5.jpg
shade5.jpg (368.51 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
shade6.jpg
shade6.jpg (353.98 KiB) Viewed 3282 times
Attachments
shade4.jpg
shade4.jpg (311.27 KiB) Viewed 3284 times

blackberg

Re: A folding travel trailer on top of a 28' pontoon boat.

#212 Post by blackberg » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:18 am

that is nice improvement.

Makes that hot AZ sun more bearable
-bb

RonKMiller

#213 Post by RonKMiller » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Also time for a new middle log.

My original build - and the junked donor boat - really didn't take into account all the extra weight I would be adding: going from 19 gallons of fuel to 39, carrying up to an extra 500 lb.s of H2O for extended stays, mesquite hardwood for fires - the list just goes on an on. Before I knew it I was a maximum capacity. Never a good idea.

The old middle log had to go. At 18' long and 21" diameter on a 28' boat it just wasn't cutting it. Much to my surprise one chamber was flooded from an already noted previous dent when I bought it. That put me into the negative by about 1K pounds of buoyancy right off the bat - not to mention you are carrying the extra weight of the water inside the log while underway - I estimate another 55 gallons or 456 lbs! There is also the additional drag to consider since water was washing over the middle log (and both side logs) adding yet more drag and weight. :scared

Lady luck smiled on me when I literally stumbled across a 24' by 24" diameter U shaped log at a local boat/rv repair shop. It had just been sitting for a long time - since 1999! The owner was more than willing to dispose of it for a killer price - only $500, and I got $88 in return for scrapping the 18' log. Needless to say there aren't a whole lot of pontoon boats in Tucson, and the fact that this one was EXACTLY the right size was just too much. :smoke

What's really crazy is that I was able to extract the old log - and insert the new one - while everything was still on the trailer. It took a lot of grunting since I was doing it by myself, but eventually I had it lined up and bolted down.

The only thing remaining was to find a good tig welder to join the old 21" transom to the the new 24" U log which went well. I fabricated some new "motor mounts" and also a fairing of 5052 aluminum sheet to join the two and maintain laminar flow over the log back toward the prop.

Testing will take place momentarily, but I feel very confident the extra 2800 lbs. of flotation will come in rather - ahem - handy! The trailer alone weighs about 2000 lbs. :prayer

The picture below shows the "union" prior to the welding.
IMAG0242.jpg
IMAG0242.jpg (295.24 KiB) Viewed 3243 times

Cycleman07

#214 Post by Cycleman07 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:24 am

I have read all of this and am really impressed. Maybe I missed it but the console is in front of the camper correct? Does it have to be removed to pull the Camper on and Off?
2013 South Bay 524E/Mercury 150 4Stroke
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD SLT 4x4 Duramax

RonKMiller

#215 Post by RonKMiller » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:21 pm

The helm tilts off to the starboard side on hinges, there are two steel cable *restraining* straps that keep it at 90 degrees max. Well out of the way of the trailer when rolling it off the front.

Since I've had it on the boat I've only taken it off once. The peace and quiet of boat in campsites is sublime compared to land camp sites. If I had to do it again I would not have gone to the trouble of having it being a convertible.

The gf and I will be "camping" for 15 days in a marina at a San Diego resort in a few weeks. We have full access to the resort when desired - including room service. :rofl

http://www.resortkonakai.com/photo-gallery/index.html

Yep, I'm spoiled. :thumbsup

Bamby

#216 Post by Bamby » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:22 am

The peace and quiet of boat in campsites is sublime compared to land camp sites. If I had to do it again I would not have gone to the trouble of having it being a convertible.
I wondered when you would come to this conclusion... :wink: And yes there is nothing like the freedom of camping out on the water. If darkness approaches and you come to the realization that you've maybe overindulged miles from your port you're still golden. Simply securely tie off somewhere or set anchor and enjoy the rest of the evening and sleep it off. I've had campers and have also had boats but a boat set up to comfortably spend the weekend on has been the best choice for "us" anyway... :nana
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

RonKMiller

#217 Post by RonKMiller » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:07 am

That desire for no land camping was recently reinforced by a hiking trip and tenting for 3 nights. We had a good tent, sleeping bags, the works. ...along with nosey and noisy neighbors, camp fire smoke all night long. It was NOT fun.

The only bonus to the current set up is that I can separate both when the time comes, (and have a travel trailer for sale with virtually no wear and tear on it) but I've got a feeling that with the new middle log I should be good to go for a long time.

I'm thinking about making the interior truly luxurious with textured sea grass wall paper, ultrasuede upholstery, a tile back splash, and covering one wall with mirrored tiles. :paranoid :paranoid :paranoid :paranoid

curtiscapk

#218 Post by curtiscapk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:34 am

RonKMiller wrote:That desire for no land camping was recently reinforced by a hiking trip and tenting for 3 nights. We had a good tent, sleeping bags, the works. ...along with nosey and noisy neighbors, camp fire smoke all night long. It was NOT fun.

The only bonus to the current set up is that I can separate both when the time comes, (and have a travel trailer for sale with virtually no wear and tear on it) but I've got a feeling that with the new middle log I should be good to go for a long time.

I'm thinking about making the interior truly luxurious with textured sea grass wall paper, ultrasuede upholstery, a tile back splash, and covering one wall with mirrored tiles. :paranoid :paranoid :paranoid :paranoid
:puke :puke :shock:
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

RonKMiller

#219 Post by RonKMiller » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:40 am

What, I thought you would at least go for the mirrors! :lol3 :lol3

RonKMiller

...and the new log welded on...

#220 Post by RonKMiller » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:14 am

I decided not to go all the way to the top with the "fairing" - which smooths out the junction between the new 24" u shaped log and the old 21" round log - so that I could inspect the three new motor mount brackets I made that provide most of the strength. There is a curved section and 2 short pieces of angle on both sides hiding under the fairing, you can see the angle at the top. If water does splash over the top of the fairing it drains out the transom.
Attachments
fairing.jpg
fairing.jpg (370.16 KiB) Viewed 2939 times

RonKMiller

My new data plate

#221 Post by RonKMiller » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:00 pm

Considering the upgrade in buoyancy I ordered a new data plate and just received notification of shipment from Garzonstudio.com. Printed on vinyl tape. Sweet! :biggrin2

This allows for an average weight per person of 193 lbs. The FAA calculates average weight at 175 lbs. - but that was probably from the 1950's - just like their current radar systems. :roll:

I ordered it this morning and they are shipping the same day. THAT is excellent customer service!
data plate.jpg
data plate.jpg (144.75 KiB) Viewed 2870 times

RonKMiller

#222 Post by RonKMiller » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:26 pm

Thought you guys might enjoy this article written about my two month visit aboard the Y-Knot? last summer in San Diego.

Incredibly my 30 foot slip cost $22.00 a night and included water, electricity, trash, security guard, keyed and gated entrance to the docks, a deli, locker rooms and a nice fresh water swimming pool. Oh yeah - parking for my dually as well. Run of the mill standard hotel rooms in the Sheraton 100 yards away are $300.00 a night. I was living large in arguably some of the most expensive real estate in North America for $490.00 a month.

Once you click on the link you'll see an overlay with a mouse icon. Click on the icon and you'll get the full resolution front page with the intro to the article in the center of the page.

Use the arrows on the top left of the page to click forward to page 18 for the full story.

Enjoy!

http://content.yudu.com/web/1knik/0A2q5 ... index.html

Bryden24shp

#223 Post by Bryden24shp » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:04 pm

Awesome Ron! Very cool, buddy!!! Good luck on the new build, I look forward to seeing it being built....
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

RonKMiller

#224 Post by RonKMiller » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:13 pm

Bryden24shp wrote:Awesome Ron! Very cool, buddy!!! Good luck on the new build, I look forward to seeing it being built....
Thanks man, the cost of my new proposed project with the Airstream is spiraling out of control. I'm getting into the $150K range - and I'm thinking for that kind of money I can buy a completely rebuilt and refurbished Cessna 152 tomorrow.

Although the thought of two Yamaha V8 F350 5.3 LITER BIG BLOCKS and 700 horsepower is alluring... my projections are that it would CRUISE at 30 knots. It would need to be 50 feet long and have 40" diameter logs. :scared Airstreams are freakin' heavy.