Gas and Oil questions

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

vetbridge

Gas and Oil questions

#1 Post by vetbridge » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:22 am

I got a great deal on a used boat/motor, but I have no manuals to fall back on. Two questions:

Gas: I have a built in gas tank. I wanted to replace the line from the gas tank to the 70 HP 2 cycle Johnson outboard (the old line and bulb are brittle with age). I bought a standard replacement with quick connects on each end. The outboard side clips on fine, but at the gas tank end the tubing alone goes onto the tank's fitting, with a hose-clamp over it. When I remove that end, is gas going to flow out? Any tricks/tips?

Oil: My 2 cycle outboard has an oil tank, about the size of a battery box. With my other 2 cycle outboards I've owned (9.9 and smaller) I mixed gas and oil. I assume this tank just gets topped off with each use, right? What kind of oil do I fill it with?

Thanks!!!
Mark, Kim, and dogs
2000 Crestliner 2080 Sport
Johnson 70 HP 2-stroke
Western Pennsylvania

rrhodes

Re: Gas and Oil questions

#2 Post by rrhodes » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:48 am

If the fuel line is tapped at the bottom of the tank it will let gas out when you disconnect it. If it is on the top you are fine. As far as the oil is concerned, just keep the oil tank topped off and there is no mixing for you to do.
Rick
2008 JC Neptoon 25TT
115hp Honda 4-stroke
2007 Suburban LTZ
Lake Murray, SC

vetbridge

#3 Post by vetbridge » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:55 am

rrhodes wrote:If the fuel line is tapped at the bottom of the tank it will let gas out when you disconnect it. If it is on the top you are fine. As far as the oil is concerned, just keep the oil tank topped off and there is no mixing for you to do.
OK, I'll lay a towel down for the gas. Is the type of oil I fill the tank with the same 2 cycle oil I've always used?
Mark, Kim, and dogs
Johnson 70 HP 2-stroke
Western Pennsylvania

JonCBrand

#4 Post by JonCBrand » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:42 am

Yes just standard 2 stroke oil.
What's Next?
1989 Playcraft PE-24 Tri-Toon
Johnson 2.6L GT 235hp on a 10" Jackplate
Future plans include, strakes on all but 2 outer sides of tubes, 50 gal fuel tank in center tube, stretch center tube 2ft
2009 Chevy 2500HD tow rig

scfishnman

#5 Post by scfishnman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:03 am

You might want to do some investigating before running the motor. In some of the older oil injected Johnson motors, the owners disconnected the oil injection system. If that was done to yours, you will still have to mix the oil with the gas. Better to verify that the oil injection system is still connected and functioning than to run the motor and burn it up without oil.
-- Aqua Patio 240DC triple toon 225 Yamaha 4-stroke
-- 17' Polar Kraft w/ 75 hp Evinrude Etec
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX HO

rrhodes

#6 Post by rrhodes » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:35 am

scfishnman wrote:You might want to do some investigating before running the motor. In some of the older oil injected Johnson motors, the owners disconnected the oil injection system. If that was done to yours, you will still have to mix the oil with the gas. Better to verify that the oil injection system is still connected and functioning than to run the motor and burn it up without oil.
Very good point... If it is still as designed then you just keep oil in the tank.
Rick
2008 JC Neptoon 25TT
115hp Honda 4-stroke
2007 Suburban LTZ
Lake Murray, SC

GXPWeasel

#7 Post by GXPWeasel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:24 am

As stated above, but for good measure, yes the oil that you would put in that tank the size of a battery box, is just regualr 2 strok oil. Again, you will want to make sure the system is working properly, and hooked up before you do too much. I'm not sure how to verify that yours would be hooked up and working properly, or how fast you would go through the 2 stroke oil. On our 90hp Merc, we use about 1 tank of oil for every 3-4 tanks of gas.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

bassn386

#8 Post by bassn386 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Just make sure you use 2 stroke oil formulated for outboards (Quicksilver or equivalent). Also, regarding the separate oil reservoir, make sure the oil injection system is functioning as someone already mentioned. I have several friends with mid to late 90s Evinrudes and their VRO system stopped working quite some time ago so they are back to pre-mixing because they don't want to spend the several hundred bucks it would take to get the oil injections system working on a 15 year old motor (I on the other hand don't like having to figure out all that s*&t and would spend the money). I'm not sure with a motor that vintage but most outboards back then used 50:1 ratio. I know there have been discussions on other threads about some O/B's using 100:1, but that could be rare.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

Heatman

#9 Post by Heatman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:54 pm

To be safe I would use premix at 1st to see if the oil injection was working. If the oil level goes down you are good to go. Over oiling a bit shouldn't hurt as you do the same thing during breakin. At worst you may foul a plug.
2014 Tracker Targa V-18 Combo/ Mercury 150hp 4 stroke
'06 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4 Big Horn Hemi
Sheridan, Indiana

vetbridge

#10 Post by vetbridge » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:36 am

Yep, the oil injection is working fine. I burned about a half a tank of gas, and the oil level dropped maybe a quarter.

Replacing the gas line went smoothly. I expected gasoline to come squirting out, but there was just about a tablespoon lost.

Thanks all!!
Mark, Kim, and dogs
Johnson 70 HP 2-stroke
Western Pennsylvania