Pontoon Boat & Deck Boat Forum

Open and Honest Pontoon Boat Discussion

 Site Sponsors pontoonstuff.com
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:52 pm
Posts: 65
For $950.00 we can get a raised helm on the boat we have on order. I'm short and I thought this would be advantages but now I'm thinking it looks like something that is going to narrow the passage way because it sticks out several inches and something to kick and stumble on. Also for it to work they have to move the helm forward 9 inches in order to install the standard rod locker that goes behind the captains seat. This will reduce the size of the couch in front of the helm from 33 inches to 24 inches.
I'd like to hear some of your expert opinions. Especially if any of you have a raised helm.

_________________
2011 Premier Cast-A-Way 251 (On Order)
PTX 36 inch tubes
300 Mercury Verado
Calabasas, Calif.
Lake Mead, Nevada


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:29 am 
Offline
Site Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:31 pm
Posts: 3787
Location: Lakes around McAlester Ok.
I love the raised helms. When you have a crowd docking is hard from lack of visibility.

_________________
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by 2011 Ford F 150 Lariat,
McAlester, Oklahoma




A cockroach & a liberal will live nine days without its head before it starves to death.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:59 am
Posts: 930
Location: Lake Eufaula, Oklahoma
Don't have one, but I have been told that it makes it easier to access the wiring.

_________________
Counting all the a$$holes in the room Well I'm definitely not alone

2005 Voyager 22ft Tritoon
2004 Honda 135hp
Strakes, underskinned, aluminum deck, etc.
Towed by: '11 Chevy Z71 Crewcab


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:05 am
Posts: 1607
Location: Elm Grove, La
I found the same problems with the raised helm. While docking with a bunch of people on the boat I found standing is a good solution, while yelling at them to sit the f&%k down.

_________________
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:22 pm
Posts: 1538
Location: N.C.
Depends on how important the seating space you will lose is? I personally stand when docking so I can move around if needed and as above yell at the looky loo's to seat down! Seems the first timers especially want to see the dock, I guess to see if your going to hit it! Go figure!

_________________
2005 Tuscany TS2286FC by Sweetwater
22 ft, 90 hp 4s Yamaha
Lorance 332c GPS/Fishfinder
Minnkota copilot Trolling motor
3 battery's, tandem axle trailer pulled by 05 Dodge Quad Cab Hemi 2x2.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 157
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
When I bought my boat it was an option also. I looked at another one that hd the raised helm and for me it seemed to block the passage aft. Looked to me to be a toe banger. I went without and yes sometimes if sitting I tell people to sit down, but mostly I stand and when pulling into my slip I open the center door forward and look that way. Good Luck! Bill

_________________
Bill & Lynn
2010 2275 RLI Bennington/ESP
150 Yamaha
Smith Mountain Lake, VA


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:54 pm
Posts: 653
Location: Warren NH
We have it on our new one, and so far I like it, ours has a built in storage bin/cooler under the captains feet, :drink4 :drink4 and it does help with a better view.
It doesn't seem to be a toe stubber, the only complaint I have about it is the storage area under the console. On the old boat the console sat on top of the carpet so things stored under it didn't slide around. The new one with the raised helm it just has the fiberglass of the riser under the console, and things slid around like crazy. We fixed the problem by cutting a piece of indoor-outdoor carpet to fit and things stay put much better.

You can see it a little in this shot.

Image

_________________
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck
2010 Premier Sunsation LTD 225 PTX
2010 150 HP Mercury Optimax
got rid of POS 2010 Yacht club dual axle triple log trailer
now have a 2012 Shorelander dual axle triple log trailer, MUCH NICER


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:07 pm
Posts: 174
Location: Michigan
We have one on our boat. Since I am vertically challenged, it is a big help when docking. It really doesn't intrude the space aft or cut down on the front seats in our boat.

_________________
Jeff

----------------------------------
Peggy Sue
25 x 10' 2009 Premier Escapade
225 Mercury Verado


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:42 pm
Posts: 2872
i don't think it really matters unless you're really short.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:22 pm
Posts: 577
As kind of an "in-between" you may want to consider a captains chair that does this:
Attachment:
toon helm up.jpg
toon helm up.jpg [ 16.07 KiB | Viewed 1358 times ]


I ordered one primarily as a way to change positions during long boring runs to avoid cramping - but think it might be a good alternative for your use as well - the additional cost when ordering a new boat would be minimal. I'm sure my wife will like it too.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:52 pm
Posts: 65
Ray Jr. wrote:
We have it on our new one, and so far I like it, ours has a built in storage bin/cooler under the captains feet, :drink4 :drink4 and it does help with a better view.
It doesn't seem to be a toe stubber, the only complaint I have about it is the storage area under the console. On the old boat the console sat on top of the carpet so things stored under it didn't slide around. The new one with the raised helm it just has the fiberglass of the riser under the console, and things slid around like crazy. We fixed the problem by cutting a piece of indoor-outdoor carpet to fit and things stay put much better.

You can see it a little in this shot.

Image

I think it's against the law to store you child in the ski locker.

_________________
2011 Premier Cast-A-Way 251 (On Order)
PTX 36 inch tubes
300 Mercury Verado
Calabasas, Calif.
Lake Mead, Nevada


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:54 pm
Posts: 653
Location: Warren NH
Looney Tune wrote:
Ray Jr. wrote:
We have it on our new one, and so far I like it, ours has a built in storage bin/cooler under the captains feet, :drink4 :drink4 and it does help with a better view.
It doesn't seem to be a toe stubber, the only complaint I have about it is the storage area under the console. On the old boat the console sat on top of the carpet so things stored under it didn't slide around. The new one with the raised helm it just has the fiberglass of the riser under the console, and things slid around like crazy. We fixed the problem by cutting a piece of indoor-outdoor carpet to fit and things stay put much better.

You can see it a little in this shot.

Image

I think it's against the law to store you child in the ski locker.


Thats my Grandson and he thought it was a great place to hide.

_________________
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck
2010 Premier Sunsation LTD 225 PTX
2010 150 HP Mercury Optimax
got rid of POS 2010 Yacht club dual axle triple log trailer
now have a 2012 Shorelander dual axle triple log trailer, MUCH NICER


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:52 pm
Posts: 65
Ray Jr. wrote:
Looney Tune wrote:
Ray Jr. wrote:
We have it on our new one, and so far I like it, ours has a built in storage bin/cooler under the captains feet, :drink4 :drink4 and it does help with a better view.
It doesn't seem to be a toe stubber, the only complaint I have about it is the storage area under the console. On the old boat the console sat on top of the carpet so things stored under it didn't slide around. The new one with the raised helm it just has the fiberglass of the riser under the console, and things slid around like crazy. We fixed the problem by cutting a piece of indoor-outdoor carpet to fit and things stay put much better.

You can see it a little in this shot.

Image

I think it's against the law to store you child in the ski locker.


Thats my Grandson and he thought it was a great place to hide.

Nice looking kid. It looks like he coming up a staircase from the basement. I can't wait to get my grandkids on the boat. I never got them on my Ranger Base boat but I will on this one.

_________________
2011 Premier Cast-A-Way 251 (On Order)
PTX 36 inch tubes
300 Mercury Verado
Calabasas, Calif.
Lake Mead, Nevada


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:54 pm
Posts: 653
Location: Warren NH
[/quote]
Nice looking kid. It looks like he coming up a staircase from the basement. I can't wait to get my grandkids on the boat. I never got them on my Ranger Base boat but I will on this one.[/quote]


Toons are great for Grandkids, they even love to nap on the boat.
Here is his little sister

Image

and his cousin

Image

_________________
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck
2010 Premier Sunsation LTD 225 PTX
2010 150 HP Mercury Optimax
got rid of POS 2010 Yacht club dual axle triple log trailer
now have a 2012 Shorelander dual axle triple log trailer, MUCH NICER


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Raised Helm Or Not?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:52 pm
Posts: 65
Ray Jr. wrote:

Nice looking kid. It looks like he coming up a staircase from the basement. I can't wait to get my grandkids on the boat. I never got them on my Ranger Base boat but I will on this one.[/quote]


Toons are great for Grandkids, they even love to nap on the boat.
Here is his little sister

Image

and his cousin

Image[/quote]
Man, I love to nap on the boat. Of course that's when the fish usually hit.
Great looking family. I can't wait to post mine.

_________________
2011 Premier Cast-A-Way 251 (On Order)
PTX 36 inch tubes
300 Mercury Verado
Calabasas, Calif.
Lake Mead, Nevada


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], robster, ToonGuy and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
© 2009 Pontoonforums.com - Powered by phpBB