Raised Helm Or Not?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Ray Jr.

Re: Raised Helm Or Not?

#16 Post by Ray Jr. » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:30 pm

Looney Tune wrote: Man, I love to nap on the boat. Of course that's when the fish usually hit.
Great looking family. I can't wait to post mine.
Thanks you, I am sure you and your family will enjoy your when you get.
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck
2010 Premier Sunsation LTD 225 PTX
2010 150 HP Mercury Optimax
got rid of POS 2010 Yacht club dual axle triple log trailer
now have a 2012 Shoreland'r dual axle triple log trailer, MUCH NICER

1badtoon

#17 Post by 1badtoon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:17 pm

yes get the raised helm worth every penny.if not standard with LTD or PTX package
D.J.and Stacy James
Searcy AR
2008 Premier Grand Majestic 235 LTD
36"PTX
Suzuki 250 SS
Greers Ferry Lake, AR

cncmaster

#18 Post by cncmaster » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:53 pm

I was told that it would be a toe banger, but benningtions new version for 2011 looke like its out of the way and was told it was very nice.
I am over 6 feet tall and will be getting it on the new toon. and the helm being closer to the center would also help you. not to mention it looks good and helps resale.

Good luck

FloterBoter

#19 Post by FloterBoter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:33 pm

i just don't think it's a big deal either way for resale.

cbavier

#20 Post by cbavier » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:33 am

Ray Jr. wrote:
Looney Tune wrote:
Ray Jr. wrote:We have it on our new one, and so far I like it, ours has a built in storage bin/cooler under the captains feet, :drink4 :drink4 and it does help with a better view.
It doesn't seem to be a toe stubber, the only complaint I have about it is the storage area under the console. On the old boat the console sat on top of the carpet so things stored under it didn't slide around. The new one with the raised helm it just has the fiberglass of the riser under the console, and things slid around like crazy. We fixed the problem by cutting a piece of indoor-outdoor carpet to fit and things stay put much better.

You can see it a little in this shot.

I think it's against the law to store you child in the ski locker.
Thats my Grandson and he thought it was a great place to hide.

Where is his LIFE JACKET. The Federal law says anyone under 13 must wear a LIfe Jacket art all times when on a boat. I'm not trying to be a scrooge or smart ass. By the way he really is a cute kid and I'm sure you love with all your heart and you have the right too. By the way I wish you but a seat bolster/ booster, something like that as an add on, but I suppose the problem is all the different kind's of seats.
Own-It-II

Chuck
24 Ft Aqua Patio Executive Cruiser
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

Ray Jr.

#21 Post by Ray Jr. » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:47 am

cbavier wrote:Where is his LIFE JACKET. The Federal law says anyone under 13 must wear a LIfe Jacket art all times when on a boat. I'm not trying to be a scrooge or smart ass. By the way he really is a cute kid and I'm sure you love with all your heart and you have the right too. By the way I wish you but a seat bolster/ booster, something like that as an add on, but I suppose the problem is all the different kind's of seats.
Life jackets are only required when UNDER WAY we were at anchor in a cove at that time. also Life Jackets are NOT required when there is a 3 ft tall rail around the passenger area of a boat.

cbavier

#22 Post by cbavier » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:08 am

OK.....Just wondering if you were underway or anchored. In MIch there is no difference in laws from boats to Pontoons that I know of, rail or no rail. I have searched for Pontoon laws and haven't been able to find anything. Like I said I wasn't trying to be a smart ass just protective of such a Darling little boy.
Own-It-II

Chuck
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

Ray Jr.

#23 Post by Ray Jr. » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:22 am

cbavier wrote:OK.....Just wondering if you were underway or anchored. In MIch there is no difference in laws from boats to Pontoons that I know of, rail or no rail. I have searched for Pontoon laws and haven't been able to find anything. Like I said I wasn't trying to be a smart ass just protective of such a Darling little boy.
No Problem, when under way the jacket is always worn.(the pontoon rails aren't 3 feet tall so no exemption there)

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#24 Post by badmoonrising » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:08 pm

In MD and in federal waters up here, the law is anyone under 13 has to wear a jacket while underway. Anchored out in a cove, no. I make my nephews and niece wear them even anchored out though.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

cbavier

#25 Post by cbavier » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:06 pm

badmoonrising wrote:In MD and in federal waters up here, the law is anyone under 13 has to wear a jacket while underway. Anchored out in a cove, no. I make my nephews and niece wear them even anchored out though.

Good policy
then they don't resist or squack

I always wear my inflatable but they are too expensive to outfit the pontoon so I just have the orange slip overs for everyone else.
Own-It-II

Chuck
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

GregF

#26 Post by GregF » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:37 pm

The federal law is under 13 and while underway. That does not supersede the state law tho so it only affects the 15 states without a child PFD law.
In Florida it is under 6 and while underway.
BoatUS has a link to all of the state laws

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/ljlp/s ... ements.asp
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

FloterBoter

#27 Post by FloterBoter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:17 pm

cbavier wrote:The Federal law says anyone under 13 must wear a LIfe Jacket art all times when on a boat.
i thought federal law only applies on federal waters, which most aren't (a lot around here are federal).

cbavier wrote:I always wear my inflatable but they are too expensive to outfit the pontoon so I just have the orange slip overs for everyone else.
well, then i will take a turn at lecturing. those crappy orange preservers are worthless. i would never put one on a friend or friend's kid. we've got a bunch of real life vests, not the nice inflatables like the captain might wear, but good vests that available at any sporting goods store, fleet farm, even wally world. they will actually hold a kid up without ripping off his testicles from the stupid strap. we've got lots of sizes and if a lot of people are coming, we tell them to bring their vests--or buy some.

cbavier

#28 Post by cbavier » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:59 am

FloterBoter wrote:
cbavier wrote:The Federal law says anyone under 13 must wear a LIfe Jacket art all times when on a boat.
i thought federal law only applies on federal waters, which most aren't (a lot around here are federal).

cbavier wrote:I always wear my inflatable but they are too expensive to outfit the pontoon so I just have the orange slip overs for everyone else.
well, then i will take a turn at lecturing. those crappy orange preservers are worthless. i would never put one on a friend or friend's kid. we've got a bunch of real life vests, not the nice inflatables like the captain might wear, but good vests that available at any sporting goods store, fleet farm, even wally world. they will actually hold a kid up without ripping off his testicles from the stupid strap. we've got lots of sizes and if a lot of people are coming, we tell them to bring their vests--or buy some.
I don't think any of mine have crotch straps. They are like a Jacket. Only bulky. They are not the slip over the head kind. I agree. I wouldn't expect anyone to wear the crotch strap ones either.
Own-It-II

Chuck
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

bassn386

#29 Post by bassn386 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:54 pm

We ordered our new Bennington 2575RCW with a raised helm. Originally I wasn't going to because on the 2010 model it stuck out into the aisle and the sales guy said it could be a toe stubber, but on the 2011 model they moved it so it's flush with the helm. I think having the extra couple of inches is going to come in handy when docking and there are people in the forward seats on the starboard side.
I sat on a 2011 model similar to the one we ordered and while we were on land I had my wife sit in fromt of me and I stll had excellent visibility.
Good Luck!
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

FloterBoter

#30 Post by FloterBoter » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:35 pm

cbavier wrote:I don't think any of mine have crotch straps. They are like a Jacket. Only bulky. They are not the slip over the head kind. I agree. I wouldn't expect anyone to wear the crotch strap ones either.
these are the lousy ones. some have testicle-removal straps and some don't. they're all worthless.

this is what i prefer. :rofl