New Carpet

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

cbavier

New Carpet

#1 Post by cbavier » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14 am

What is your opinion of using Outdoor Deck Carpeting from Home Depot as opposed to using Pontoon Carpeting. Deck carpeting is much heavier.
Own-It-II

Chuck
24 Ft Aqua Patio Executive Cruiser
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

GregF

Re: New Carpet

#2 Post by GregF » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:09 pm

I had pretty good luck with HD berber I/O carpet. The lesser grades don't seem, to hold up (the tinsel looking, shiny stuff).

I recently threw down some of the blue corduroy looking stuff but it sucks.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

cbavier

#3 Post by cbavier » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:00 am

Greg thanks for your thoughts. Isn't the Berber a sculptured carpet? For fishing it would be much more prone to Fish Hook problems I'm afraid. I will look at the Berber at HD though. I like the look of Berber. Does the Berber come in colors?
Own-It-II

Chuck
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

Ron Burgundy

#4 Post by Ron Burgundy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:23 am

If you plan to do fish alot you may want to ditch the carpet and go with something like this...http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... rchID=4006 My boat dosen't have any carpet so I can just spay it down when I come back.
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

cbavier

#5 Post by cbavier » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:30 am

I really do want carpet because we use it more for pleasure, but I do fish off it too. So coating or vinyl is out of the question.
Own-It-II

Chuck
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

GregF

#6 Post by GregF » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 am

They only had the berber in a mixed tan and green color at our stores and that was a "no" from my wife. My original was just a beige that was OK. I got about 10 years out of it.
1974 Harris

cbavier

#7 Post by cbavier » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:20 am

GregF wrote:They only had the berber in a mixed tan and green color at our stores and that was a "no" from my wife. My original was just a beige that was OK. I got about 10 years out of it.
Were you happy with the tan or did it show the dirt and debris bad?
Own-It-II

Chuck
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

Looney Tune

#8 Post by Looney Tune » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:31 am

cbavier wrote:I really do want carpet because we use it more for pleasure, but I do fish off it too. So coating or vinyl is out of the question.
So I'm confussed. I have a boat on order that is going to have 100% vinyl decking with a snap our Berber carpet. We plan to take the carpet up when we fish. We thought that was the smart thing to do so we could just was it down when are done fishing. And put the carpet back when we just boating. Did we make a mistake here?
2011 Premier Cast-A-Way 251 (On Order)
PTX 36 inch tubes
300 Mercury Verado
Calabasas, Calif.
Lake Mead, Nevada

rpm121370

#9 Post by rpm121370 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:36 am

Looney Tune wrote:
cbavier wrote:I really do want carpet because we use it more for pleasure, but I do fish off it too. So coating or vinyl is out of the question.
So I'm confussed. I have a boat on order that is going to have 100% vinyl decking with a snap our Berber carpet. We plan to take the carpet up when we fish. We thought that was the smart thing to do so we could just was it down when are done fishing. And put the carpet back when we just boating. Did we make a mistake here?

if you have the snap in carpet you will be very happy, it makes cleaning very nice as you can pull out carpet clean vinyl and take carpet to car wash and clean it as well

Ron

cbavier

#10 Post by cbavier » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:30 pm

rpm121370 wrote:
Looney Tune wrote:

No you didn't make a mistake. Apparently if you buy a boat with the snap in carpet. It must have vinyl under the carpet. My pontoon is a 1982 that needs re-carpeted. The carpet on it now is shot (28 yrs old) , the plywood is good because it was always covered. Carpet that lasts that long has served it's purpose well. Ideally I would like my boat to have both but not at the cost of doing vinyl and a snap in carpet both. The original carpet which is on my pontoon now is not even glued down.
Own-It-II

Chuck
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

GregF

#11 Post by GregF » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:48 pm

cbavier wrote:
GregF wrote:They only had the berber in a mixed tan and green color at our stores and that was a "no" from my wife. My original was just a beige that was OK. I got about 10 years out of it.
Were you happy with the tan or did it show the dirt and debris bad?
It was OK but after 10 years of dragging trash out of the mangroves it was getting pretty funky.
1974 Harris

GregF

#12 Post by GregF » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:53 pm

The original carpet which is on my pontoon now is not even glued down.
I can't think of any reason why you would want to glue it down if it is trapped under the fence.
1974 Harris

cbavier

#13 Post by cbavier » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:16 pm

GregF wrote:
The original carpet which is on my pontoon now is not even glued down.
I can't think of any reason why you would want to glue it down if it is trapped under the fence.

I don''t see any reason to glue it down either. The factory didn't glue it. The fence side rails and all the furniture hold it down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24589494@N00/
Own-It-II

Chuck
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

ROLAND

#14 Post by ROLAND » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:50 am

Looney Tune wrote:
From one Looney Toon ( our boat's name ) to another... No you did not make a mistake... we fish off our boat all summer and it has vinyl... you can just imagine the amount of crud that hits the deck when your fishing... worms, worm dirt, fish, just in general dirt tracked on the boat... no way would I want that on carpet... with vinyl and snap in carpet, you'll have the best of both worlds.....
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

scfishnman

#15 Post by scfishnman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:32 am

Something to consider with Berber carpet is that when it gets snagged, it runs. My home office has a good quality Berber carpet. It looks nice and cleans up easily (even pet accidents), but snag it and you have a real problem. My dog hooked the metal ring that holds the rabies vacination tag to her collar in the carpet when she was rolling around on it. When she stood up she pulled a long run in the carpet.
-- Aqua Patio 240DC triple toon 225 Yamaha 4-stroke
-- 17' Polar Kraft w/ 75 hp Evinrude Etec
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX HO