Help Me find Carpet

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mschlott

Help Me find Carpet

#1 Post by mschlott » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:41 am

I just bought a 2003 Lowe Trinidad 22 ft fishing pontoon. It is in relatively good shape but there are several surfaces above the deck that are covered in carpet and they all are fraying at the edges. I'm talking about the rod box, live well, battery compartment and fuel tank cover.

I'm not ready to re-carpet the entire boat, but I want to re-carpet these areas with identical, or at least the same color. The boat is 8.5 ft wide, so I want to use carpet that comes in this width so if I do decide to re-carpet this boat in a year, I can use the same carpet.

Here is a picture of my existing carpet on flickr. If you recognize it and can tell me who manufactures it or know where I can find out, please let me know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42452730@N04/5374900829/

As an alternative, I was at the local G3 dealer yesterday and saw that they use a very similar color and texture on their boats. They were not very helpful in telling me how I might get this carpet. They just showed me their samples of generic fuzzy boat carpet.

Thanks for any advice you can give on this.
mike
2003 Lowe Trinidad 224
2003 Yamaha 60
19-22MPH depending on load per GPS
Plano, TX

bassn386

Re: Help Me find Carpet

#2 Post by bassn386 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:46 am

Flkr has this photo marked as private, so can't open it even though I'm a Yahoo member. Suggest that you upload the photo directly to this site as a .jpeg so that more folks can view it.
Regarding the carpet: you said it was a Lowe. Find a Lowe dealer in your area or go online and google pontoon boat carpet. You'll be amazed at the number of hits.
Keep in mind that finding the same carpet for a nine-year old boat might be chancy. Also keep in mind that normal wear and sun fading will affect the color.
Good luck!
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

mschlott

#3 Post by mschlott » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:33 am

Sorry about that. I thought everyone had access to it, but it seems to be those with a flickr account.

I'm attaching an image. I hope it shows up.

Also, no lowe dealers in 20 miles. I contacted lowe via email and got no response.

Thanks
mike
Attachments
carpet.jpg
carpet.jpg (150.96 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
2003 Lowe Trinidad 224
2003 Yamaha 60
Plano, TX

bassn386

#4 Post by bassn386 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Here's a link to a place that specializes in marine carpet. I can't vouch for them: http://www.boatcarpetbuys.com/scripts/default.asp
There were lots of other places that showed up when i Googled Pontoon Boat carpet.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

jimrs

#5 Post by jimrs » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Buying carpet in quanities enough to do some trim work and then being able to buy the same carpet in a year is imposible. Every run of carpets varies a little even if they offer the same color it won't be the same. If you have the entire winter to do it why not just start and do it all at once?
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

mschlott

#6 Post by mschlott » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:29 am

I am not overly concerned about the shade of color changing slightly in different runs, because all of the carpet I intend to replace is 16 inches away from the floor. It won't be obvious if it is a little different. I'm just hoping to get the same texture.

The main reason I don't want to do the whole boat is my experience with classic cars, and what I call "the might as wells".

To replace the carpet, i need to pull everything off the deck. This one panel has a ding in it. I might as well replace that.

I can't get the one panel. Well this is a lot of work I'm putting into it, I might as well replace all the panels.

Oh, I can't just get the panels? I might as well get all new rails.

I thought the seats looked good, but they are gonna look like crap next to these new rails. I might as well buy new seats.

When I pulled the carpet up, it was really stuck to the plywood and it pulled up the top layer of plywood in a bunch of places. I can't go this far and not replace that.

You know, that one pontoon has a slow leak in it that I can't find. I'll take that in and get it checked.

Eight thousand dollars later I have new carpet. I have successfully transformed a $7000 pontoon boat into a $9000 pontoon boat for only $8000 and 200 hours of labor.

Besides all of that. It's cold outside.

mike
2003 Lowe Trinidad 224
2003 Yamaha 60
Plano, TX

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#7 Post by lakerunner » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:37 am

My last boat I sold to a friend and he took toon back to Sundancer in Mo. for new floor,carpet,furniture,wiring and a new Bimini. With what he spent I ask why he didn't replace panels and he said they weren't that bad. Well he spent 12 grand and unless you looked in toon it was still a 12 year old boat. To me that was a stupid move to go that far and stop. So I understand where your coming from
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

cbavier

#8 Post by cbavier » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14 am

The Marina near our house is advertising on TV right now a Brand New 24 or 20 ft Bennington (I'm not sure which length) with a 60 HP Etect for $14,9000. So the guy that put $12,000 into a 12 year old boat screwed himself. I'm going to be replacing the carpet on my toon in the Spring and I'm going with the 20 OZ Standard Carpet. I'm afraid the textured would just be a dirt collector in all the little grooves. There is a Carpet place near me that has Marine 20 Oz Carpet and he told me about $125 to buy the carpet from him. He sells lots of carpet to the Marina next door that does re-carpeting of boats and pontoons. They wanted $2,000 to do my boat. I think for 1,875 I can do it myself in a couple weeks. Pretty good wages Huh for two weeks labor plus I'll have to buy maybe a couple packages of rail risers and maybe a couple bolt kits. I haven't counted the bolts but I doubt it if one kit of each would be enough.
Own-It-II

Chuck
24 Ft Aqua Patio Executive Cruiser
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

mschlott

#9 Post by mschlott » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:34 am

I'd definitely do it myself if I was going to do it. I think I'm more likely to clean up the carpet on the floor and never replace it. I'm hesitant to put too much money into this pontoon, because I may sell it in a couple of years.

I bought it for $6500 and have put just over $1000 into it. I have re-painted the console, had a custom cover made, and replaced all the wheels and tires. A hundred or so more in carpet and I'll have a very presentable boat.

I'd like to get carpet with a similar texture for the upper surfaces, but If I can't I'll probably buy something like this. The color is close enough, but the texture is way off.

http://www.boatersland.com/lncnp240528mb86.html

mike
2003 Lowe Trinidad 224
2003 Yamaha 60
Plano, TX

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#10 Post by lakerunner » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:41 pm

cbavier wrote:The Marina near our house is advertising on TV right now a Brand New 24 or 20 ft Bennington (I'm not sure which length) with a 60 HP Etect for $14,9000. So the guy that put $12,000 into a 12 year old boat screwed himself. I'm going to be replacing the carpet on my toon in the Spring and I'm going with the 20 OZ Standard Carpet. I'm afraid the textured would just be a dirt collector in all the little grooves. There is a Carpet place near me that has Marine 20 Oz Carpet and he told me about $125 to buy the carpet from him. He sells lots of carpet to the Marina next door that does re-carpeting of boats and pontoons. They wanted $2,000 to do my boat. I think for 1,875 I can do it myself in a couple weeks. Pretty good wages Huh for two weeks labor plus I'll have to buy maybe a couple packages of rail risers and maybe a couple bolt kits. I haven't counted the bolts but I doubt it if one kit of each would be enough.

Thats what I tried to tell him. Said your never getting your money back and he said he had no plan to sell it. Well guess what it is for sale and he is trying to get 13 grand for a $2500.00 toon
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

moregooder

#11 Post by moregooder » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:42 pm

I must tell you that I myself will never carpet another boat. we run the boat pretty hard with the kids, friends, scuba diving, fishing and the wight haired dog. if the carpet wasn't wet it is a mess from sand or dog hair so I am over carpet.

goldnrod24

#12 Post by goldnrod24 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:57 pm

cbavier wrote:The Marina near our house is advertising on TV right now a Brand New 24 or 20 ft Bennington (I'm not sure which length) with a 60 HP Etect for $14,9000.
Must be the 20 footer, Chuck. I don't think a 24 foot Bennie of any trim level is at that price point. Of course, then there's the freight, prep, options, doc fees and everything else that the advertised price doesn't include.
Randy

My Drinking Team has a Boating Problem!