Quad-Toon transom design

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

spurhunter

Re: Quad-Toon transom design

#1 Post by spurhunter » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:09 pm

Why am I not surprised there is a keg on the boat during the build.... :nana :drink4 :bowdown :bowdown
Custom 89 24' Procraft Funchaser Tri-toon
1985 Johnson 175 gas guzzler
2007 2500HD Duramax Z71

GregF

#2 Post by GregF » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:37 pm

I think you are going to have a problem getting clean water to the motor unless you put a skid plate under the back of the center 2 pontoons. It doesn't look like you have room for a regular motor pod.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

margaritaman

#3 Post by margaritaman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:43 pm

I have seen pictures from a pontoon manufacturer that has the motor mounted in the rear of the right pontoon instead of the center. The manufacturer makes pontoons for commercial use and the right outboard pontoon will have the least water turbulence. I know it looks odd but I guess it works.
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

GregF

#4 Post by GregF » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:22 pm

Do you know a guy with a TIG machine? Welding that plate in is probably the best way.
1974 Harris

Ron Burgundy

#5 Post by Ron Burgundy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:52 pm

Dual outboards...problem solved :lol3
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

ROLAND

#6 Post by ROLAND » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:33 am

spurhunter wrote:Why am I not surprised there is a keg on the boat during the build.... :nana :drink4 :bowdown :bowdown
come on now, you can't expect the man to work on his boat without the proper tools :drink
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

GXPWeasel

#7 Post by GXPWeasel » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:35 am

What if you made a motor pod type thing, that stuck back about a foot to 18" behind the two middle logs? What I mean is, you know how several of the newer toons have the motor pod or even 3rd log that stick back about 2 feet behind the outer logs, well do something like that. Link the two middle logs with some type of angle iron (or aluminum I guess) and build a makeshift motor pod that extends back from that. You could still brace this pretty well with the floor, plus it would be attached to the middle logs. I think this may get you a better chance at "clean" water as well, since it would sit back a bit from the actual logs of the boat, which is why I believe the newer 3 logger type toons do this.

Looks like a fun & interesting project for sure.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

sam-toon

#8 Post by sam-toon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:46 am

In your pictures that you have posted.....are there four logs on there when your on the water? They seem very very low in the water. With four logs that sucker should be floating high on the water, unless you have water in your toons somewhere. My opinion would be to weld an aluminum motor pod to your two center toons. I always thought if you do weld something it will have to be the same material(aluminum) and not the steel or other type you mentioned. I might be wrong but wont it cause some type of corrosion if you use two types? Nice build........the two motor option also sounds good, plus if you used two motors I would bet you would get better gas mileage vs using the one (it won't need to work as hard to push). Good luck, post some pictures when you decide what to do.

GregF

#9 Post by GregF » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:09 am

I always thought if you do weld something it will have to be the same material(aluminum) and not the steel or other type you mentioned. I might be wrong but wont it cause some type of corrosion if you use two types?
Trying to start trouble eh? ;)

I do agree if he matches the contour of the toons and isolates them to avoid rubbing this could work but you may get a lot of water trying to come up through that gap, soaking the bottom of the boat and wasting energy along the way.

I would stick with aluminum if you can to avoid galvanic action.
1974 Harris