SLIP OWNERS!!!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Brandon

SLIP OWNERS!!!

#1 Post by Brandon » Sat May 14, 2011 12:30 pm

I finally have the boat cleaned up, throttle cable has been replaced and ive repainted the helm from where it was chipping all over, so the boat is ready for the summer and I am putting it in the slip Monday or Tuesday if the weather does right. I was wondering if there are tips, or things I should know about tieing it down for the week, any special knots, ropes or anything of the sort that I would need?

I appreciate your input.
2014 Veranda 22ft
Yamaha High Thrust 115hp
2011 Dodge Ram 1500

I will keep my Guns
I will keep my money
and you can KEEP THE CHANGE!!

America will never be destroyed, if we falter it will be because we destroyed ourself- Ab. Lincoln

GregF

Re: SLIP OWNERS!!!

#2 Post by GregF » Sat May 14, 2011 1:44 pm

The best solution for slips is to make up mooring lines with eyes that you half hitch through your cleats. Once you have them made up to the right length they just stay on the dock. If you are tying up for a short while you can just drop them over the cleat. If you are going away hitch them through the legs of the cleats.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Sat May 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Every year, I buy two 50' hollow core ropes--looks like ski rope. I cut each 50' section into 4 sections and burn the ends to prevent unraveling. Then, I insert about 1' of each end back into the hollow core to make loops on the rope ends. I thread each loop onto the eyes/cleats on 4 corners of my pontoon--10' is the perfect length for day to day use.

If I need longer ropes, I have 4 more ropes in reserve that can be looped together and made longer.

I get new ropes every year, as nylon does age with time.

If I was going to leave my boat in the water for a few days unattended, I would use a more substantial back up rope.

If I was ever going to pull anyone on a "tube", I would insist on using at least a 1/2" rope--heavier than a ski rope. We had two horrendous accidents closeby when ropes broke and threw teenagers into docks.

I also carry an old 50' 1" heavy rope in case I have to be towed due to breakdown. The big rope is also used to pull down trees, and often pull cars out of ditches. It's always stored in the pontoon boat, however.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

wandertheglobe

#4 Post by wandertheglobe » Sat May 14, 2011 8:18 pm

I think we use 1/2" lines which are permanently tied to the cleat at the slip and there is a loop on the end that fits through the cleat on the boat. The lengths are such that the boat does not bang up against the dock. Quick and simple to secure or unsecure the boat as we don't have to measure the line or redo the know each time.
2006 Bentley 240 Cruise, Mercury 115 4S

dockholiday

#5 Post by dockholiday » Sat May 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Just make sure there is enough slack to deal with water elevation changes. When I kept my toon tied to the dock, I had about 5ft of slack since it was just on the side of the dock and not in a slip. When the dam was generating it would be pulled away from the dock. Had tires covered with canvas on the side of the dock to act as fenders so it worked well for me. Also if they pulled the plug on the lake the water was only 5 ft deep so it would just bottom out in the mud. That never happened but if it did the boat would not be hanging sideways on the dock.

GregF

#6 Post by GregF » Sat May 14, 2011 9:36 pm

When you have to deal with water coming and going you use spring lines. The bow line ties to a dock cleat in the stern and the stern line ties to a cleat on the bow end. Then your normal bow and stern lines can be fairly loose.
Another thing you can do is put snubbers in your lines to pull them fairly tight and still allow then to stretch. You can buy "nautical" ones or you can make your own with long "trucker" bungies (the black rubber ones). Take the hooks off and replace them with brass or stainless clips snapped to bowlines you tie in the lines.

Quick links

or spring snaps

You end up with this

1974 Harris

Brandon

#7 Post by Brandon » Sun May 15, 2011 1:23 pm

Sounds simple enough, Just make a loop on both ends thread them through the cleat on the deck and then you are in good shape?

Doesnt sound like a big deal
2014 Veranda 22ft
Yamaha High Thrust 115hp
2011 Dodge Ram 1500

I will keep my Guns
I will keep my money

America will never be destroyed, if we falter it will be because we destroyed ourself- Ab. Lincoln

Ron Burgundy

#8 Post by Ron Burgundy » Sun May 15, 2011 2:13 pm

Brandon wrote: ...any special knot....

If you don't know this one its good to know. When my father in-law ties off it looks like two pieces of spaghetti fu#@ing. Drives me crazy.

-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

Brandon

#9 Post by Brandon » Sun May 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks Ron, I do need to know how to tie some better knots... I am a little like your In law when it comes to that. I just keep knotting until it seems like its not coming lose.
2014 Veranda 22ft
Yamaha High Thrust 115hp
2011 Dodge Ram 1500

I will keep my Guns
I will keep my money

playcat

#10 Post by playcat » Sun May 15, 2011 7:43 pm

That was a running joke in the CG - "Can't tie a knot? Tie a lot!"
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA

GregF

#11 Post by GregF » Sun May 15, 2011 8:29 pm

If you only learned how to tie one knot it should be a bowline.

That knot will do damned near anything and the huge advantage is it is stable when you pull on all three ends yet you can always break it down, even if you were towing a truck with a nylon line. It can always be untied.

I am not sure I could do it using that "rabbit in the hole" thing but I do know how to roll one. (I can also throw one but that is a trick)

If you hold the bitter end of the line in your hand, in line with your fingers, and a few inches sticking out beyond your fingers, form the loop about as long as you want it and bring the hand with the bitter end down on the standing part where you want the loop to stop. Flip your hand over bringing the standing part with it using your thumb (that is the rabbit hole)
Then take that bitter end around the back of the standing part and poke it through the hole you made when you flipped your hand over.
Pull everything up tight and you have a perfect inside bowline.
With a little practice you can do that in a couple seconds. With a little more practice you can do it without using your hand to hold the bitter end but that one is the "throwing" trick. ;)
1974 Harris

GXPWeasel

#12 Post by GXPWeasel » Mon May 16, 2011 9:27 am

You also might want to try www.animatedknots.com

Good ideas here, and even shows you how to tie them.

:thumbsup
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

dockholiday

#13 Post by dockholiday » Mon May 16, 2011 9:47 am

Yep the bowline is a good knot. I use to use it more than any of the others. Now seems like the 2 half hitch is what I use mostly. Thanks Boy Scouts.

doc

GregF

#14 Post by GregF » Mon May 16, 2011 2:27 pm

The good old clove hitch is handy too. If you tie it on a bight you just yank the bitter end and pull it loose. Handy for those quicky tie ups like the gas dock.
1974 Harris