Anchoring 30' Pontoon w/ upper deck in lake

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

cbavier

Re: Anchoring 30' Pontoon w/ upper deck in lake

#16 Post by cbavier » Tue May 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Yes and Yes. Both should be the same size. I would go the next size up from 30ft as long as it's not ridiculous. Like 40ft
Own-It-II

Chuck
24 Ft Aqua Patio Executive Cruiser
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

2875RLXIO

#17 Post by 2875RLXIO » Tue May 03, 2011 3:01 pm

wcniedba wrote:
2875RLXIO wrote:
wcniedba wrote:What about a box anchor? Someone recommended that to me on another forum. Looks like they catch no matter how the boat positions itself with wind/current and they claim to need only 2 to 1 scope on the anchor line. I'm only going to be anchoring in slews on my lake so I don't need anything "ocean strength". However wind can blow my huge 30' pontoon around quite a bit - especially due to the walls connecting the roof to the deck.

Here's an example - http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_P ... e749bb8688
There is nothing better for sand or mud bottom than a Box Anchor. I have two large ones I keep on my boat, and they hold like no other anchor I have ever used.
If I have a 30' pontoon (w/ top deck) should I just make sure my anchor is sized for up to 30 foot boats? Does the stern anchor (to prevent spinning) need to be as large as the bow anchor?
I had the anchors from my 38' offshore boat, but I do like the large ones so I don't have to worry about breaking loose. You could probably get away with mediums, but most pontoons have plenty of storage so I would go with the large ones. I have people side tie to me all the time, and I don't have any problems.
2005 Bennington, Merc 350 Mag (300 hp) and Bravo 3

woolznaz

#18 Post by woolznaz » Tue May 03, 2011 3:09 pm

For those new to boating, I wanted to add a thought to this thread. It seems like a lot of people here use two anchors - one off the bow and one off the stern. If you boat in an inland lake, that's usually not necessary. Assuming you are anchored somewhere where swinging around in a circle is OK, just use one. What's great about "swinging on the hook" all day in a cove is how relaxing it can be. If you get one good anchor set off your bow, you'll just swing around in a circle with wind changes but your anchor will NOT move. A good anchor, set properly, will hold. By using only one anchor, you have MUCH less wind resistance. The boat moves around with the wind but the anchor stays set. When you set 2 anchors, you are asking a lot more out of your anchors. With two anchors they must hold your boat in the same orientation, resisting the wind rather than letting the wind change the direction of your boat but not the location of your anchor.

So, if you are anchoring in a spot where swinging in a circle is OK, here's all you do:
Pick your spot
Drop the anchor
Shut off the boat
Let it drag (usually about 4 feet for me) and it'll set (you'll feel it "dig in" if you are holding the rope)
Let out at least 4:1 scope and tie it off
Relax all day

If the wind changes, you'll swing in circles but you'll stay put. We usually anchor in about 15' of water in our favorite cove with about 60' of rope + about 7' of chain. We never move, and I don't have a very good anchor. There can be several boats in the cove, pretty close together, but we all swing the same direction as the wind changes.

The only reason I can see to use 2 anchors is if you are anchoring where you cannot let your boat swing in a circle. I'm sure others will chime in with more reasons, but using 2 anchors is making this a lot harder than it needs to be. If you have the room, just use one.
2007 South Bay 925 Tri-toon
5.7 Volvo I/O
Tow Vehicle: Toyota Tundra, 1794 Edition

cbavier

#19 Post by cbavier » Tue May 03, 2011 3:17 pm

woolznaz wrote:For those new to boating, I wanted to add a thought to this thread. It seems like a lot of people here use two anchors - one off the bow and one off the stern. If you boat in an inland lake, that's usually not necessary. Assuming you are anchored somewhere where swinging around in a circle is OK, just use one. What's great about "swinging on the hook" all day in a cove is how relaxing it can be. If you get one good anchor set off your bow, you'll just swing around in a circle with wind changes but your anchor will NOT move. A good anchor, set properly, will hold. By using only one anchor, you have MUCH less wind resistance. The boat moves around with the wind but the anchor stays set. When you set 2 anchors, you are asking a lot more out of your anchors. With two anchors they must hold your boat in the same orientation, resisting the wind rather than letting the wind change the direction of your boat but not the location of your anchor.

So, if you are anchoring in a spot where swinging in a circle is OK, here's all you do:
Pick your spot
Drop the anchor
Shut off the boat
Let it drag (usually about 4 feet for me) and it'll set (you'll feel it "dig in" if you are holding the rope)
Let out at least 4:1 scope and tie it off
Relax all day

If the wind changes, you'll swing in circles but you'll stay put. We usually anchor in about 15' of water in our favorite cove with about 60' of rope + about 7' of chain. We never move, and I don't have a very good anchor. There can be several boats in the cove, pretty close together, but we all swing the same direction as the wind changes.

The only reason I can see to use 2 anchors is if you are anchoring where you cannot let your boat swing in a circle. I'm sure others will chime in with more reasons, but using 2 anchors is making this a lot harder than it needs to be. If you have the room, just use one.

"woolznaz" I agree 100% but if your fishing.... as a rule I don't want my Toon swinging around. I want it to hold exactly where I set the anchors. I usually fish parallel to shore and where my Fish Finder shows there are fish. If I'm Bass fishing I only use one anchor or no anchor at all.
Own-It-II

Chuck
24 Ft Aqua Patio Executive Cruiser
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

WaltF

#20 Post by WaltF » Tue May 03, 2011 3:41 pm

Good point woolznaz...
I do that when out in the cove alone, there are not many boats around me....

But usually we're tied up with 5 or so other boats. My Richters' have held em all for the whole day... :smoke
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

2875RLXIO

#21 Post by 2875RLXIO » Tue May 03, 2011 4:25 pm

We usually anchor near the shore, or in an area where there are other boats around so I have to use two anchors so the boat stays in one spot. I am amazed though at how many people will pull up in an area with a bunch of boat and just drop one anchor. I usually just ask them if they want to side tie, after their boat is swinging around hitting everyone in the area. :biggrin2

woolznaz

#22 Post by woolznaz » Tue May 03, 2011 5:18 pm

2875RLXIO, I hear you. You cannot do the one anchor thing if you are going to be too close. Actually, though, if everyone was just using one anchor, all the boats pretty much swing the same direction. On our lake, I'll see some people drop an anchor off the stern and then tie to the shore. Obviously they are going to keep their boat oriented the same way. However, I never see anyone use 2 anchors just anchored in a cove. I still say to do so is more trouble and is asking an anchor to do a lot more (keeping the same orientation despite wind changes) than simply anchoring with one (and swinging on the hook, as they say).

Also, look at marinas that have mooring buoys. Lots of marinas only have slips, but some have buoys you can rent. They are not that far apart, but if you notice, all the boats in the buoy field pretty much swing the same direction.

I know there is a time and a place for two anchors. The point I was making is that some boaters seem to do that thinking it'll hold better than one when actually nothing could be farther from the truth.
2007 South Bay 925 Tri-toon
5.7 Volvo I/O
Tow Vehicle: Toyota Tundra, 1794 Edition

2875RLXIO

#23 Post by 2875RLXIO » Tue May 03, 2011 5:45 pm

I hear you, I wish I could get away with one anchor where we boat. 8)