Cleaning Toons

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bjb21

Cleaning Toons

#1 Post by bjb21 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:31 pm

Has anyone used the product called Krud Kutter to clean the skum line off their toons? I used it on a little area with a wet sanding block for drywall and it cleaned it pretty well however it left little scratches. I am not sure if I want to continue to use the block if it is going to leave scratches. Thought about using a plastic puddy knife like some have suggested. Any thoughts on if this would work?

Thanks,
bjb21

nostrildomus

Re: Cleaning Toons

#2 Post by nostrildomus » Tue May 17, 2011 1:54 pm

I highly recommend JJV's Best Aluminum Cleaner: sprayed on and the waited 10 minutes; the light pressure washing.

http://www.jjvsbest.com/

I have some before and after pictures if you are interested.

KW
2005 30' Tracker PartyHut
135hp Mercruiser I/O
Lake Samish - Bellingham, WA.

bjb21

#3 Post by bjb21 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:03 pm

I was looking at that product. I have a 25' 8" Southbay.. It looks like the product is rather pricey how much can you expect to use on the toons? Pictures would be great.. Does it work as easy as they advertise?

GXPWeasel

#4 Post by GXPWeasel » Tue May 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Any time you use any type of sand paper/ block, whether it be wet or not, it's going to leave scratches. If you plan on polishing the logs, like many of us have done, then I would suggest sanding them down to as fine of sandpaper as you can find first, then polish, and protect with Sharkhide. :smoke

If you aren't worried about polishing, you can use just what others have said, or even A/C condensor coil cleaner (diluted) and it will eat away at anything that isn't aluminum, and then eventually the aluminum too if you leave it on there forever. This is what I did before I sanded and polished my logs.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

bjb21

#5 Post by bjb21 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:26 pm

So you would use a DA sander and then a very fine sandpaper to get the skum off then use a polish? What grit do you recommend? I have sharkhide to protect it.

Woody

#6 Post by Woody » Tue May 17, 2011 2:33 pm

The higher grit you use, the easier it will be to buff/polish. Personally, I would go to at least 1500-2000.

I polished the toons on my last boat, but haven't talked myself into tackling the tri toon yet.
2014 Benny (Until I find a replacement for my totaled JC Tritoon)

Usually somewhere on the TN River

nostrildomus

#7 Post by nostrildomus » Tue May 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Here are the before and after shots; I did it exactly as easy as they showed in the video on their site:)

Still a bit wet, it was raining when I did mine:)
2005 30' Tracker PartyHut
135hp Mercruiser I/O
Lake Samish - Bellingham, WA.