Life Jackets

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

Life Jackets

#1 Post by ROLAND » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:25 am

When I was trailering my boat saturday at the launch, I noticed a "wildlife" agent writing a ticket to a couple of guys who had just pulled thier bass boat out ( actually he wrote them a warning ). I pulled over to the side to clear the launch while we finished up and one of the bass boat guys told me they got the warning for not wearing life jackets. These were 2 adults in thier 40's, no kids. I have had fish and game board my boat before, none of us wearing life jackets... they asked to see them, which we were happy to show them we were in compliance.. but when I saw those guys getting cited yesterday, I walked over to the wildlife agent and asked him the "rule" for life jackets on a pontoon. He told me that anyone under the age of 17 that was on a boat under 26 feet had to wear a life jacket. Never knew that. I also asked him about "drinking" out on the water. Not a problem as long as it's not the person operating the boat. He told me that if they suspect the driver of operating under the influence, they have a "field sobriety" test they use.. if you don't pass that, they take you to the sheriff's station where you have to blow... if you're over the limit your in some deep :censored. This topic only came up because my son and his girlfriend had some beer in the cooler. I seldom drink so I wasn't concerned but still wanted to know what Lousiana law was.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

slingshot

Re: Life Jackets

#2 Post by slingshot » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:03 am

So why were the two guys in their 40's written warnings? :donno
2007, 2570 Crest LE II
Yamaha F150

robster

#3 Post by robster » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:10 am

also anybody,at any age that is being towed behind your boat has to have a life jacket on. White liquor is not allowed on our NC/SC lakes only beer. If you have to take a breathalyzer be sure to ask for a witness.
2011 Manitou OasisVP Tritoon w/Yamaha 150

CaptainBob

#4 Post by CaptainBob » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:53 am

robster wrote:also anybody,at any age that is being towed behind your boat has to have a life jacket on. White liquor is not allowed on our NC/SC lakes only beer. If you have to take a breathalyzer be sure to ask for a witness.

I didn't know that but now I do thanks!
2000 Fisher 200 dlx 20'
2001 Mercury 90hp 2 stroke

PlaynDoc

#5 Post by PlaynDoc » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:01 am

In Georgia, anyone 10 and under must wear life jacket when underway.
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

lakerunner696

#6 Post by lakerunner696 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:35 am

12 and under in Okla, and jackets need to be within easy reach.
Loyd, AKA Angry Ol Bastard & Betty Meeks
Beautiful Lake Tenkiller Oklahoma
2008 F150 Lariat Super Crew
2004 Tracker Regency, 2010 Evinrude E-Tec 90
Haul Rite trailer

God bless our country, God damn it's enemy's.

jimrs

#7 Post by jimrs » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:12 am

Louisiana has changed a few laws in the last few years. I'm sure that other states have made some of the changes also. Here are the new changes in LA. law. some of them surprised me.

New Boating Regulations

Printable Version

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Law Enforcement Division (LDWF/LED) is advising boaters to be aware of new boating regulations.
•PERSONAL FLOTATION DEVICES
Every person 16 years or younger on board a Class A(less than 16 feet) or Class 1(16 to less than 26 feet) motorboat or vessel shall wear a coast guard approved life jacket or life preserver while such outboard motorboat or vessel is underway.
The regulation becomes effective August 15, 2009. This law previously stated that children 12 and under were required to wear PFD's.

•BOATING SAFETY EDUCATION REQUIRED
No person born after January 1, 1984, shall operate a motorboat powered by a motor in excess of ten horsepower unless he has successfully completed a boating safety class approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA). A person who has completed an approved boating safety class shall be in possession of evidence of such completion when operating such a boat.
This law is effective July 1, 2010

•PENALTIES FOR DWI
Penalties for DWI's now include the suspension or revocation of boating privileges when a person loses driving privileges due to suspension or revocation of their license due to a D.W.I. or D.W.I. refusal whether the offense took place in a vehicle or a watercraft.

• All persons onboard a Class A motorboat which is being propelled by a hand tiller outboard motor shall be required to wear a USCG approved Type I, II, III, or V personal flotation device while the motorboat is underway. A handtiller outboard is described as an outboard motor that has a tiller or steering arm attached to the outboard motor to facilitate steering and does not have any mechanical assist device which is rigidly attached to the boat and used in steering the vessel, including but not limited to mechanical, hydraulic, or electronic control systems. Hand tiller outboard motor shall not mean any type of electronic trolling motor.

• No person shall operate a Class A or Class One motorboat with a hand tiller outboard motor in excess of ten horsepower designed to have or having an engine cut-off switch, while the engine is running and the motorboat is underway, unless:
a. The engine cut-off switch is fully functional and in operable condition; and

b. The engine cut-off switch link is attached to the operator, the operator's clothing, or if worn, the operator's personal flotation device.

The provisions of this Section shall not apply to licensed commercial fishermen operating a motorboat while engaged in commercial fishing activities. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to sailboats Engine cut-off switch - an operable emergency cut-off engine stop switch installed on a motorboat and that attaches to the motorboat operator by an engine cut-off switch link. Engine cut-off switch link the lanyard and/or cut-off device used to attach the motorboat operator to the engine cut-off switch installed on the motorboat.

• Persons engaged in watersports, which includes but is not limited to waterskiing, towing a tube, wake boarding, wake surfing, etc... must wear a Type I, II, III or V PFD. An inflatable PFD does not meet the requirement. Vessel operators can not tow a watersports participant who is not wearing a pfd. Exceptions to the requirements of this subsection are allowed during Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries and/or United States Coast Guard permitted marine events under the following conditions:
a. A skier engaged in barefoot water-skiing who wears a barefoot wetsuit designed specifically for such activity.

b. A skier engaged in trick water-skiing whose movements would be restricted or impeded by the bulk of a PFD. A trick water-skier is a person whose equipment and activities have all of the following characteristics:

i. Type of Skis: For standard double trick skis, a length of no more than 46 inches and width of at least 8 inches, with no keels on the bottom; for single trick boards, a length of no more than 56 inches and width of at least 22 inches, with no keel on bottom; and

ii. Tow rope no longer than 50 feet.

c. The operator of a vessel towing a trick water-skier or barefoot water-skier shall make a PFD readily available aboard the tow vessel for each such skier who elects not to wear such a device while skiing.

Fishing
Boating
Hunting
Wildlife
Enforcement
WMA
. .

Search

Contact Us
About
Sitemap
Site Disclaimer

(225) 765-2800 | Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, P.O. Box 98000
2000 Quail Dr. Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70898

2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

rrhodes

#8 Post by rrhodes » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:27 am

South Carolina law requires all children under 12 years of age to wear a U.S. Coast Guard–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD while on board a Class A (less than 16 feet long) vessel. The life jacket must be fastened and of the proper size for the child.
Rick
2008 JC Neptoon 25TT
115hp Honda 4-stroke
2007 Suburban LTZ
Lake Murray, SC

yellowk9

#9 Post by yellowk9 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:45 am

In Arkansas all kids 12 and under must wear a life jacket at all times whether the boat is underway or not. The exception is craft with railings (such as pontoons). On these craft the little ones can take off the life jacket when not under power. I generally keep my kids in their jackets all the time since when we're not moving we're usually swimming. It is nice to be able to take them off for a little while when we stop to eat or if one of them is napping. I still get nervous as hell then because I know it would only to a few seconds for one of them to be up and over the rail :scared :scared :scared You have to watch them like a hawk :paranoid That, and the threat of DWI, are the main reasons I don't even bother to bring beer on the boat these days. There was a time when I was younger that it was perfectly legal to get drunker than Cooter Brown and drive a boat. I may have even done that a few times in my youthful, ignorant days :oops:
2002 Sweetwater 20RE
2002 90 HP Suzuki 4-Stroke

bassn386

#10 Post by bassn386 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Here's what Missouri's law says about wearing a PFD: Children under 7 years of age must wear a USCG—approved PFD at all times while on board any vessel, unless the child is confined in a totally enclosed area of the vessel such as the cabin area of a houseboat or day-cruiser.
We go way beyond that requirement. I require a child up to about 11 or 12 to wear one when on the boat, and if they are under 15 they have to wear one if we are out at night. Also, any child younger than 10 or so has to wear a life jacket if they are on the dock, walkway or playing near the water.
We've had a place at LOTO since 1993 and have never had an accident. One time, a youngster fell off the dock into the boat slip (the boat usa on a lift). He almost hit his head on one of the main lift beams, but because he was wearing his life jacket, had he done so we could still have pulled him out of the water by the jacket instead of trying to recover his limp body.
Guests who have young children who complain about our rules are not invited back.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

Russ

#11 Post by Russ » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:22 pm

PlaynDoc wrote:In Georgia, anyone 10 and under must wear life jacket when underway.
I have been made to understand in GA it is 10 and under any time aboard, underway or not.

One of my first times out with our (or any) boat was May of last year. We had just returned to the boat launch dock on the South side of Lanier and everyone was getting off and walking up to their cars. There were a few kids on board and they removed their life jackets just before stepping onto the dock. A park ranger happened to be sitting in a car just a little bit away and gave me a talking to. :paranoid He then took the opportunity to check the life jackets vs. # of passengers I had vs. capacity sticker, fire extinguisher, audible device, throwables, etc... Now all kids on my boat put their jackets on while on the dock, and take them off on the dock.
-Russ

-------------------------------------------------------
2000 Party Barge 18' w/ 2000 Merc 50 2-stroke
Pulled by 1999 Toyota 4Runner 4x4

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#12 Post by badmoonrising » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Yep. The laws pertaining to PFDs and alcohol are very similar in MD. Be aware that the USCG is attempting to mandate wearing PFDs as well:

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/5141 ... equirement
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

Ron Burgundy

#13 Post by Ron Burgundy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:04 pm

I wish the states could come together and have one set of rules. Here is Florida's law...

Children under 6 years of age must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, or III PFD at all times while on any vessel less than 26 feet in length that is underway upon Florida waters. (“Underway” means any time except when the vessel is anchored, moored, docked, or aground.)
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#14 Post by badmoonrising » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:14 pm

Tell me about it. On the Chesapeake, we have:

US Coast Guard.

Maryland DNR Cops.

Army Corps of Engineers..(in the Canal, which is owned by them).

Delaware DNREC cops (1/2 of the Canal is in Delaware).

and military patrol boats :rofl :rofl :rofl

None agree on anything, all think they are "the man".

One year at Canal Days, I'm running some women back to shore. Get stopped by MD DNR for only having a single white light on my dinghy (legal in federal waters). MD law says it needs a green/red bow light as well.

The cove/canal is federal waters.

So I tell the DNR cop to call a CG vessel over and he says no and that it's "officers discretion" to cite me or not. I again ask for a CG vessel and inform the guy I am in federal waters.

Finally a CG vessel happens by and I wave them over. MD DNR cop gets all sweaty and red faced.

CG says I'm good, lets me go. DNR cop follows me to my boat and tells me to get my ID out.

Just then, a fist fight breaks out 2 boats down from the Hellrhighwater.

Cops get distracted as I flee back to by boat :) Cops forget about me. :)

The end. :rofl :rofl :rofl
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

Ron Burgundy

#15 Post by Ron Burgundy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:26 pm

That's crazy. Who said fist fights never solve anything. :lol3

Here is Florida law part II...

Vessels operating on waters outside the geographical boundaries of Florida (three miles or the edge of the Gulf Stream, whichever is greater, off the Atlantic coast or nine miles off the Gulf of Mexico coast) are subject to the new federal PFD regulation for children. On these waters, each child under 13 years of age who is on an underway recreational vessel must wear an appropriate USCG–approved PFD unless the child is below deck or in an enclosed cabin.

Dear lord...from now on anyone on my boat will be required to wear a life jacket, carry a flare gun (with three day/night flares), and hold a fire extinguisher in their free hand...Unless they are above the Gulf stream. Then they have to carry Captain Morgans and coke!
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen