lowe SS230 RFL

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mave234

lowe SS230 RFL

#1 Post by mave234 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Year before last I purchased a Lowe SS210 , this was my first boat ever. After two years I came to the conclusion that I loved my boat. It was fantastic. My friend said, I have what he liked to call foot itis , long story short I was meant to be a boater. That boils down to I will need a one and done boat.

I contemplated this information and knew deep down inside , I need more. After much thought and a long look at my finances I decided I need the one and done boat. My SS210 was awesome , but what would I do different. The dependability and comfort of my boat meant that LOWE boats were the only option for me. Low cost with all the ammenaties of a much more exspensive boat. I took the leap and contacted FAY MARINA in LaPorte IN. And asked them to run the numbers. They were fantastic to deal with. In the end I ordered a custom built LOWE SS230 RFL with the XL package and the ski package with a 150 Mercury four stroke.

I see many articles about the longevity and durability of LOWE boats , with there only short coming being uncomfortable seats. I have never found that to be true.

As a new member and PDB magazine subscriber , I would like to hear what other memebrs who have purchase a similar boat have to say about the LOWE SS230 RFL XL.
Mave234
2014 Lowe SS230 RFL
Near Lake Michigan

Cycleman07

Re: lowe SS230 RFL

#2 Post by Cycleman07 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:34 am

Its a middle of the road boat built with middle of the road methods. Nothing wrong with them per se. My father in law owns a Lowe and I own a South Bay. The difference in build quality of my South Bay compared to his Lowe are night and Day. As he put it, yours is built like a truck and mine like a Kia. You get what you pay for. That being said his boat is still floating and he enjoys it.
2013 South Bay 524E/Mercury 150 4Stroke
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD SLT 4x4 Duramax

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:52 pm

I have a Lowe dealer close by, and he sells a lot of them. But mainly he is after their fishing boats which is the dealer's real niche.

Essentially, a pontoon/tritoon boat is generic. Yes, there are some differences in brands in quality of the welds, the fencing and seating. After all, I don't want to pay for upholstery in a boat that's twice as nice as that in my house.

But I'm glad you're satisfied with your Lowe. They seem to perform on par with other brands, which is all that really matters.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Liberty MO

#4 Post by Liberty MO » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:30 am

mave234 wrote:Year before last I purchased a Lowe SS210 , this was my first boat ever. After two years I came to the conclusion that I loved my boat. It was fantastic. My friend said, I have what he liked to call foot itis , long story short I was meant to be a boater. That boils down to I will need a one and done boat.

I contemplated this information and knew deep down inside , I need more. After much thought and a long look at my finances I decided I need the one and done boat. My SS210 was awesome , but what would I do different. The dependability and comfort of my boat meant that LOWE boats were the only option for me. Low cost with all the ammenaties of a much more exspensive boat. I took the leap and contacted FAY MARINA in LaPorte IN. And asked them to run the numbers. They were fantastic to deal with. In the end I ordered a custom built LOWE SS230 RFL with the XL package and the ski package with a 150 Mercury four stroke.

I see many articles about the longevity and durability of LOWE boats , with there only short coming being uncomfortable seats. I have never found that to be true.

As a new member and PDB magazine subscriber , I would like to hear what other memebrs who have purchase a similar boat have to say about the LOWE SS230 RFL XL.
This was exactly the situation I was in last year. Bought a new Lowe ss210 as my first boat in 2011. It was affordable, paid cash, figured if boating wasn't for us, I could unload it without a lot of difficulty. Fell in love with boating, after 2 seasons realized we wanted something bigger and upgraded. We had zero problems with our Lowe, a few with the trailer, but the boat was great. I agree, other boats are built better, but I had no doubt that the Lowe would have been on the water 20 years later if you take care of it. Even the lower price point boats are built well and will last if you take care of them. Just look around on most lakes, and you will old Lowe boats working just fine.

I've found that much like everyday life, in boating there are a few that have been lucky to have wealth affording the finer things and sometimes they can look down on those of us who have less. Fortunately it's not the case around this forum which is why I enjoy it here. The home rebuilds, beaters, first boats are treated the same as the guy in the $100k Bennington. Anyone on the water, no matter what they are on, is lucky. Life's to short to chase your neighbors, enjoy what you have while you can.
Sam
2013 Sun Tracker Regency 254 pt3 w/ Mercury 200 Pro XS
Smithville Lake, MO