preference between mercury and yamaha motors

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

camartin

Re: preference between mercury and yamaha motors

#31 Post by camartin » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:25 pm

Topic is a bit old but thought I'd add my two cents. Owned a Verado 150 for about 10 years and for the last 5 years I never really felt confident on the lake. Very finicky and had a bunch of problems when trying to power up (would go into safe mode on a whim). Had it looked at by many mechanics and only was able get things to a barely tolerable level. I probably had it in the shop 10 times. I was never stranded but I tribute that to mostly luck.

I just purchased a Southbay 23 triton with a Yamaha 250 on the back (50 mph GPS!!) and the salesman indicated that they have NEVER had a Yamaha outboard returned for repair in 15 years of selling them. Seems like a big statement so take FWIW but he mentioned that after I signed the paperwork.
2006 2500 Sanpan RE
150 Verado
Lake Norman, NC

Ddancers

Re: preference between mercury and yamaha motors

#32 Post by Ddancers » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:23 pm

I've had both Mercury and Yamaha in 115hp 4 stroke. From 2004 to 2009 had the Mercury on Trophy 1802, never had a problem.
Now have a Yamaha on my Sweetwater 240 DF good running motor.
This Yamaha is quieter, but it is a much later model.
Yamaha came with 3 years warranty, and back in 2004 I was given a special with 5 years on the Merc.
The Yamaha’s likely weighs less, but I actually think I be better off on my Sweetwater if it was heavier.
Personally I’d go with whichever had the longer warranty / lower price ratio, because I think they’re both excellent motors.
Sweetwater 2015 - 2 - 27" Tubes
240 DF LF150 Yamaha
Lifting Strakes Cap. 15 Per.
Long Shaft 31.9 mph.