Question about power and boat configuration

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

formia1

Question about power and boat configuration

#1 Post by formia1 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:12 pm

I'm new to the forum and pontoons. I'm looking to buy either a 20-22 ft. Bennington or Bentley tritoon to replace a 50 MPH bow rider. Would you expect there to be much difference in top speed between a 150 HP and 175 HP Merc? I notice most people have, or talk about, the 150 HP Merc. Is there a known issue with the 175 HP?
Also, the local Bennington dealer said there would not be any significant difference in top speed of comparably powered twin-toon with lifting strakes, ellipitical-toon with strakes or a tri-toon with strakes. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks

ron nh

Re: Question about power and boat configuration

#2 Post by ron nh » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:32 pm

Interesting choice, Bennington is considered the top end, While Bentley is considered to be the bottom for build quality. Personally I like the Bentley's look but I don't own one so can't really judge. The dealer isn't telling the whole story when he talks about speed. The real difference is the handling, The elliptical top speed will be similar. straight line speed is one thing, speed over rough water and turns is another. Tritoon is faster than 2 toon 99 out of 100 times, don't buy the line that the added weight slows you down. The lift you get out ways the weight issue.AS far as the 150 or 175 I don't think you'll see much difference if any.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:55 pm

When you're comparing Mercury 150 and Mercury 175 motors, you're usually talking 2 stroke motors. Relatively few 2 stroke motors are going on pontoon boats and tritoon boats as 4 strokes just seem better suited at speeds most people run on pontoons. And they're smoother and quieter, too. The Mercury 150 FourStroke is proving to be a fine pontoon boat engine, however.

As far as brands go, the Bentley is strictly a middle line boat in quality. I think they'd have sold many more boats had they not painted the fencing tubing. It seems to be a brand seen more often in the southeast as they're coming out of Columbia, SC area.

I sucked it up and paid the price for a 24' Bennington SSLX with rear facing lounge seating, extended rear end and Yamaha F150. I have the Express Tube and it runs 40 mph with a 15 pitch Reliance prop.

You can get a two pontoon boat with lifting strakes, and it'll be fast in a straight line. But when you turn into a tight corner, it'll fall off plane and slow way down. Pontoon boats are just not nearly as seaworthy as other hulls. Bennington's fastest and most efficient hull is their twin elliptical hull with lifting strakes, however it's pretty expensive. Most new buyers are going for tritoons, as they run fast, handle well and they're just so seaworthy in wavy conditions. And all major manufacturers have high performance tritoons that really are best suited with 200 hp or more with a very expensive power steering hydraulic steering.

What many owners don't realize is that all the "expensive" brands of pontoon boats also have boats to fit any budget. The difference in models is in the quality of fencing and seating. The boat underneath is every bit as good.

Many buyers are sorry they didn't go for the largest motor their boat hull can handle. It's good advice. Nobody ever complained about having too much horsepower. But we've seen many new buyers have to trade after the first season--for a boat that meets their needs with a larger engine.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

formia1

#4 Post by formia1 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:52 am

Thanks for the replies. I selected the 2 brands based on internet reviews plus the fact that they are carried by local dealers. The Bennington dealer can be reached by water (a big plus) and is in the same town. The boat will be used on the big lakes in Central Fl which can get pretty rough at times so, ride comfort is a very big factor. I'm leaning toward the tritoon for the stability and rough water handling and the 150 HP for a balance between power and economy. The Bennington dealer carries Yamaha and the Bentley Mercury so those combinations will have the best prices. I'm partial to the Bennington due to their popularity in the area plus friends have them (but no tritoons) and are pleased. Any other recommendations?

zoom650

#5 Post by zoom650 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:31 am

When I sat down with my dealer to order my boat, we used a manufacturer's chart comparing Mercury engine horsepower and speed and price. Useful to help decide if an increase in engine cost yielded a sufficient increase in speed.

As a FYI, this dealer now rigs all his tritoons with a 175. He bumped it up from 150. Incrementally, you're only gaining a few mph difference with each step up in horsepower. If the hulls are clean, I get upper 30's with the Verado 150. The tritoon handles rough water like a boss.

If your choice is between Bennington and Bentley, I'd choose Bennington.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

Bamaman

#6 Post by Bamaman » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:12 am

Michael's right about the speed difference between different horsepower motors sometimes not being much. But there's a little more to it than mph. When the 40 hp, 50 hp or so motors run at normal cruising speeds, they have to be pushed to the redline to maintain cruising speed. The bigger motors can maintain fast cruising speeds at maybe half throttle. Throw about 8 people on a boat with the smaller engines, and forget about speed. They're going to see snail like performance.

But so many of us now are spoiled to the bigger engines and the 150 hp motor is so much more engine than a 115 hp even. Throw lifting strakes and a center toon and these newer boats are just so seaworthy. I really don't know that the smaller motors get much better fuel mileage than my 150 hp since they're having to be run so hard. I do know that my boat cruise effortlessly and quietly.

I've been out of the market since buying my boat 3 years ago. I wonder what the price difference is between my F150 and a 175 hp? I think the price difference with the 200 hp Yamaha is about $2,800--ouch! But it seems like quite a performer.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

BobG

#7 Post by BobG » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:10 am

My tritoon is rated for 200 HP. If/when I upgrade from my 115, I won't even be looking at a 150 or 175.
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.