Need Help can not decide between Manitiou or Bennington

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

newpontoonowner

Need Help can not decide between Manitiou or Bennington

#1 Post by newpontoonowner » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:05 pm

We are looking at a Manitiou Encore w/150hp and the salesman is saying that the Manitiou are built better than the Bennington but when I do reviews I get a different story??

Padre

Re: Need Help can not decide between Manitiou or Bennington

#2 Post by Padre » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Just my .02, but I researched a lot of toons before buying, and quality wise I think Bennington is one of the best.
Padre+ aka Chip
2013 Bennington 22SFFX
70 Yamaha 4 stroke

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:19 pm

Nah! The Manitou won't be built any better than the company with 20% of the total pontoon boat market. Their SHP hull is very good, but go pricing one equipped with that way. I assume they're quoting the VP hull.

Is there any difference in the quality of the two dealerships?
How long has the dealership been in business? (Are they there for the long run.)
What engines are they offering on the Manitou's? (Bennington buys more Yamaha's than any other boat manufacturer.)
Who has the better quality interiors, and the most up to date seating configurations?
Which brand offers the longest warranty in the business (7 years)?

I hold Manitou in high regard, however there just aren't any really good dealerships close to me. And throughout the U.S. there are many regions without any Manitou market presence.
And I'd still prefer Yamaha F150 motor first and the Mercury 150 FourStroke second. ETEC's just don't pull the resale market even though they perform well.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

newpontoonowner

#4 Post by newpontoonowner » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:18 pm

The dealership sells both Manitiou and bennington, and the motor on the Manitiou is a evinrude. Has all the upgrades plus lifting strakes.??? The floor plan we like we can get on both boats?? Can anybody tell me who owns either what the pro and cons are.
Thank you

bassn386

#5 Post by bassn386 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:55 pm

Is the Evinrude the Etec? Been hearing good things, but I have to say I love my Yamaha, and so do folks who ride on my boat. Friends, who have an Opti on their toon, when taking their first ride on mine asked if the motor was running as I backed away from their dock. When I took it in for 100 hour service I asked the marina owner about changing out the impeller. He said the Yammie impellers were much more rugged than those in other motors and he suggested waiting until the end of this coming boating season to change it out and maybe not even then.
Regarding quality, I can't speak to the Manitou and don't know anyone who has one, but as far as I know, Bennington is the only one who through-bolts their decks rather than using screws.
Ask the dealer for names/phone numbers of owners of both boats that have been in service for at least a year.
I'm betting they'll be only too happy to tell you about their experience, both with the boat and the dealer.
Good luck!
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

Bamaman

#6 Post by Bamaman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:16 pm

I went through your dilemma last June. I learned a little about Manitou from a very good dealer with Honda, Yamaha and ETEC engines.

Okay, let me get this right.

You're being quoted a 22' Manitou Encore with a 150 ETEC HO motor with the VP Hull? That's one of the more expensive models for Manitou in a standard seating configuration. They've not put the newer floorplans on the Encore yet.

Has the dealer quoted a price on a Bennington of comparable options and Yamaha F150? That would probably be comparable to a 2274 GL model if you're talking a 22' hull?

The Manitou Oasis VP is a less expensive hull than an Encore, and it's their biggest seller. Manitou has a new Oasis SR seating arrangement that's absolutely knocked out. The cheaper Oasis with the SR seats is more attractive than a more expensive Encore with standard seating. Manitou also makes an Aurora VP model that's substantially cheaper than Encore or Oasis with the same quality hulls, etc.

Have you looked at Bennington's 22SL or 22SLX (their least expensive models) with seating arranged like the Encore? These models should be substantially less expensive than the Encore.

Another option is to go with a 22SSLX, which has the 48" rear facing sun lounger. The rear facing lounge beds have been very popular selling this last year, and will be what the retail market wants in the future.

I just wanted to point out some of the different price points that are available on the two brands of boats. It all depends on what boats your dealer has in stock, and what boat orders are coming the near future.

These are difficult decisions. Either brand is great, and they're coming with the same level of service since the dealer has both brands. You cannot go wrong with Bennington or Manitou. It all gets down to the price for the boat that suits your present and future needs.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

tms0425

#7 Post by tms0425 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:20 am

I also went through this in the fall. I studied both, visited several competitive dealers in our area, which in our case were all very strong ones for both brands. We also did on lake demo rides in both boats with the 250hp options we were considering (Yamaha 250, Verado 250). Because both are relatively local to us, I also visited the Bennington and Manitou factories to see how they were built and witness first hand the passion both displayed for their brands, which was a ton.

With that said, there is not really a "better", in the general sense, for either of these elite brands. Both are outstanding boats and they'll be around to service them when you need it. If someone's telling you they are that much better, it's a big stretch and I might be inclined to find another dealer. Both products stand on their own. It really boils down to your own needs, the strength of the dealership, your budget, what's available, etc.

I was initially convinced I liked the Manitou SHP hull design and construction better, but once I went through the factories and lake tested them I found it to be a wash. Both are very stout and each design has its merits on the water test.

Ultimately we felt the fit and finish, overall styling, and seating layout of the Bennington better met our needs, so we ordered an R Series exactly to our spec, with no regrets. The one thing that really helped seal the deal, besides a very good dealer, was the 7 year bumper to bumper warranty. Everything is covered other than the engine, and if you follow Bennington's responses to customer issues online it really is second to none, for any industry, not just boats. There are no handoffs on this coverage for tops, seats, radios, fittings, etc. all covered with one source. This became very important to us, as we want to spend more time on the water, not on dry land waiting for our boat to be fixed. With that peace of mind we're very happy with our decision.

Best of luck, as you're going to love either one you go with!
2013 Bennington 2275RCWL ESP w/Mercury Verado 250 Pro
Mid-America PT24T tandem trailer

Padre

#8 Post by Padre » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:53 am

Just for informational purposes: I have owned Johnson 150 2 stroke, Mercury 115 4 stroke, Evinrude ETEC 150 2 stroke, Mercury 25 4 stroke and 2 stroke, Evinrudes/Johnsons too many to mention. Out of all of these my least favorite was the ETEC. It had a terrible delay from 1300 to 22 hundred RPM, and I took it back to the dealer 4 times and they couldn't fix it. Therefore it was a terrible engine for skiing. Out of the hole the lag was truly bad. Maybe it was just that motor. Other than that it was quiet, GREAT oil consumption: it literally sipped oil, not like the Johnson 150 which gulped it! :) It was fair on gas consumption.

I have yet to take dleivery of my first Yamaha. It is going to be the new 70 4 stroke and I've heard some good things about it.

Again, just my .02 worth.
Padre+ aka Chip
2013 Bennington 22SFFX
70 Yamaha 4 stroke

gmoney

#9 Post by gmoney » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:59 am

I WOULD SAY NEITHER! Avalon is a better boat than either one.. Check out my post on 10 things to consider when buying a pontoon boat.. Manitiou was not in the comparison but you can take the list and companre for yourself. I guarantee the Avalon is built better

gmoney

#10 Post by gmoney » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:14 am

Thought I would make it easy for you. take a look at these 10 items

Feature Manufacturers Avalon, Premier, Bennington, Sweetwater, Palm Beach, Suntracker, Harris Flotebote
1. Full Risers/M Brackets Avalon
2. Integrated Nose Cone Splash Fins Avalon, Premier X**
3. Are cross members 8 ½ ft long Avalon
4. Uses at least 16 bolts to fasten motor pod Avalon
5. Uses Aluminum for seat frame Avalon
6. Uses 50 Gauge Vinyl to cover seats Avalon, Premier X*, Bennington X*
7. Uses double vented fuel fills Avalon, BenningtonTBD
8. Wall joints welded on all 4 sides Avalon, Premier, Bennington, Sweetwater, Harris Flotebote
9. Bow eye across three cross members Avalon, Premier, Bennington, Sweetwater
10. 5 year warranty from bow to stern Avalon, Premier, bennington, Sweetwater, Harris Flotebote
X* indicates on their higher end models only
X** indicates two piece nose cone instead of one

Information provided above is research conducted on the 2013 models.

curtiscapk

#11 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:58 am

gmoney wrote:Thought I would make it easy for you. take a look at these 10 items

Feature Manufacturers Avalon, Premier, Bennington, Sweetwater, Palm Beach, Suntracker, Harris Flotebote
1. Full Risers/M Brackets Avalon
2. Integrated Nose Cone Splash Fins Avalon, Premier X**
3. Are cross members 8 ½ ft long Avalon
4. Uses at least 16 bolts to fasten motor pod Avalon
5. Uses Aluminum for seat frame Avalon
6. Uses 50 Gauge Vinyl to cover seats Avalon, Premier X*, Bennington X*
7. Uses double vented fuel fills Avalon, BenningtonTBD
8. Wall joints welded on all 4 sides Avalon, Premier, Bennington, Sweetwater, Harris Flotebote
9. Bow eye across three cross members Avalon, Premier, Bennington, Sweetwater
10. 5 year warranty from bow to stern Avalon, Premier, bennington, Sweetwater, Harris Flotebote
X* indicates on their higher end models only
X** indicates two piece nose cone instead of one

Information provided above is research conducted on the 2013 models.

We get it !!! You have something for Avalon. Avalon wasn't in is listed choices... :coffee
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

Ray Jr.

#12 Post by Ray Jr. » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:11 am

curtiscapk wrote:We get it !!! You have something for Avalon. Avalon wasn't in is listed choices... :coffee
Yep, joined last night has made 4 posts so far and everyone of em spamming for Avalon :donno
Freedom Lovin' gun crazy Redneck
2010 Premier Sunsation LTD 225 PTX
2010 150 HP Mercury Optimax
got rid of POS 2010 Yacht club dual axle triple log trailer
now have a 2012 Shoreland'r dual axle triple log trailer, MUCH NICER

gmoney

#13 Post by gmoney » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:26 am

Just bought a new one! Excited about my purchase and want people to know not to be fooled by all the advertising hype is all. :biggrin2

curtiscapk

#14 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:31 am

gmoney wrote:Just bought a new one! Excited about my purchase and want people to know not to be fooled by all the advertising hype is all. :biggrin2

Dude everyone has there own preference for different reasons.....

While we are glad you joined and got a new toon. But AValon being number one is your own opinion It may get old... :?

And without pics it didn't happen.
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

Jack65K

#15 Post by Jack65K » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:34 am

I am afraid I do not know much about Manitou boats but I absolutely love my Bennington. I went form a Sea Ray 240 Sundeck to mt QCW 2575 and am extremely satisfied with the change - more room, more comfort, quieter operation, and a better float/cruise platform (and still pulls skiers and tubes great).
Jack
2012 Bennington QCW 2575
Yamaha 250
ESP Package
Rough Water Package
Raised Helm
Bimini & Cupholder LED's
Table Rock Lake