Opinions and input wanted on Xcursion pontoons

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

68dodgeramman

Opinions and input wanted on Xcursion pontoons

#1 Post by 68dodgeramman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm finally getting close to pulling the trigger on a new pontoon. I'm looking at the Xcursion X23RF XS with an 150 hp Evinrude Etec and a Venture bunk trailer. The dealer says $38,000. So I'd like to hear what you guys all think of this setup. What's your opinion on the RF versus the RL. And also what do you think of the price? Thanks
2014 Xcursion X23RF "Tooned Out"
XS tube pkg.
150hp Evinrude ETEC

Bamaman

Re: Opinions and input wanted on Xcursion pontoons

#2 Post by Bamaman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:03 pm

When you get into the upper $30's, I would suggest you check at dealers for Bennington, Manitou, Harris and Premier. Some of their tritoon boats with 150 hp motors and trailers are in that price range.

There again, there are a dozen brands of pontoon boats I'd be proud to own.

I bought Bennington last year for the quality, design and a company that's customer driven. They're up to 25% of the retail pontoon/tritoon market that has come from developing a very good dealer base. Their resale prices are tops, too.

And a dealer relatively close by had exactly in stock the tritoon boat equipped to meet my needs.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

68dodgeramman

#3 Post by 68dodgeramman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Bamaman -
Bennington is what got me interested in pontoons. But l wanted a less expensive boat so I was going with a Berkshire. So two years ago I was at the same point in the process as I am right now, with the Berkshire. But unfortunately the wife's business became a little shaky so we had to put it on hold for awhile. So now I'm back with the Xcursion. Last year l lettered and put the registration numbers on a black Xcursion. I was really impressed at what I saw. But you can't tell everything from a quick lettering job. So I was hoping someone on here had some experience with the brand. Oh yeah, the reason for an Xcursion only? This dealer is the only one that can take my quad on trade.
XS tube pkg.
150hp Evinrude ETEC

68dodgeramman

#4 Post by 68dodgeramman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:09 am

Well, I just "pulled the trigger"! l gave them a down payment! Now, unfortunately because l dragged my feet for so long, comes the wait. They said it should be in in about 4-6 weeks. Any opinions (likes/dislikes)on the rear facing seating layout? I guess it's too late to change it now, lol, but I'd still like to here your opinions. Thanks again!
XS tube pkg.
150hp Evinrude ETEC

Bamaman

#5 Post by Bamaman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:57 am

We have the rear facing seats, and they're very popular this year. You should also be very happy with them.

We were out last night watching the fireworks, and there were boatloads and boatloads of people loaded on pontoons, tritoons and deck boats on the river. That was in between rain storms, however. But it was nice.

What kind'a power is your boat going to have?

68dodgeramman

#6 Post by 68dodgeramman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:12 pm

I went with the Etec 150. How's yours do with the Yammy 150, as far as speed?
XS tube pkg.
150hp Evinrude ETEC

Bamaman

#7 Post by Bamaman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:03 pm

The Yammie 150 with a 15 pitch Reliance prop generally runs a solid 40 mph GPS @ 6000 rpm's. I was running into the wind 2 days ago with the bimini up, and got 6200 rpm's and 42 mph, but that was 1 person with 3/4 tank of gas. The engine's mounted 3/4" off the lowest setting on the transom. It's doing just great.

When I was looking at other brands, a dealer sold Honda/Yamaha/ETEC's. He liked the 150 ETEC HO's performance on his 22' Manitou's with the standard 3 toon hull (not SHP). He genuinely liked the engine even though he does purchase ETEC engines at an advantageous price because of Manitou's relationship with Bombardier.

ROLAND

#8 Post by ROLAND » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:05 pm

68dodgeramman wrote:Well, I just "pulled the trigger"! l gave them a down payment! Now, unfortunately because l dragged my feet for so long, comes the wait. They said it should be in in about 4-6 weeks. Any opinions (likes/dislikes)on the rear facing seating layout? I guess it's too late to change it now, lol, but I'd still like to here your opinions. Thanks again!
hey there... congratulations on the new toon.... gonna be tough waiting up to 6 weeks, but once it gets here you're going to have a blast... don't forget to post some pics when she gets here....
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Capt Sully

#9 Post by Capt Sully » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:14 pm

68dodgeramman wrote:Bamaman -
Bennington is what got me interested in pontoons. But l wanted a less expensive boat so I was going with a Berkshire. So two years ago I was at the same point in the process as I am right now, with the Berkshire. But unfortunately the wife's business became a little shaky so we had to put it on hold for awhile. So now I'm back with the Xcursion. Last year l lettered and put the registration numbers on a black Xcursion. I was really impressed at what I saw. But you can't tell everything from a quick lettering job. So I was hoping someone on here had some experience with the brand. Oh yeah, the reason for an Xcursion only? This dealer is the only one that can take my quad on trade.
dodger, congrats on your new toon. You made a good choice, of course all toons are good, and you know everyone thinks theirs is the best brand. So guess I'll say the same :happy :happy :happy . Enjoy your toon.
2012 Xcurison X23C
Yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke
Dual axle full bunk trailer ready to go
All pulled with Z71 4WD Silverado
Maritime mobile KD4LZL
Lake Allatoona, NW Ga.
FVC USCG Auxiliary
Vietnam 66 / 67

68dodgeramman

#10 Post by 68dodgeramman » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:05 am

Bamaman -
Thanks. I had 17' Crestliner bow rider with a 120 IO that top end was 34. So I figured if I could get that much out of it I'd be happy. Anything more is great!

ROLAND -
Thanks. You're right about the wait. It'll be the longest six weeks I've ever had, lol. And I will definitely post pics as soon as I get her.

Capt. Sully -
Thanks. Lol. I bought the best, lol. But yeah I've seen alot of toons over the last few years and they all really are so far removed from the old flat deck, square sided barges my parents would rent when we were kids. But we still had a blast and made some great memories.
XS tube pkg.
150hp Evinrude ETEC

68dodgeramman

#11 Post by 68dodgeramman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:27 pm

One other thing: what are the advantages of the Etec 150HO over the 150? Thanks again.
XS tube pkg.
150hp Evinrude ETEC

Gonefishing

#12 Post by Gonefishing » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:35 pm

I have the 23x RFC rear fishing. Center with 115 and love it has everything I want bate tank tackle center two rear fishing seats and plenty of seating for none fishers who just want to relax.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

68dodgeramman

#13 Post by 68dodgeramman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:53 am

Gonefishing wrote:I have the 23x RFC rear fishing. Center with 115 and love it has everything I want bate tank tackle center two rear fishing seats and plenty of seating for none fishers who just want to relax.
Does that 115 push ya around pretty good?
XS tube pkg.
150hp Evinrude ETEC

Gonefishing

#14 Post by Gonefishing » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:42 am

I can get around 22-24 when alone on it. Had 4 adults and 1 child and got around 18. Which is fine for me. Did not buy it for speed.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch