couple of problems

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

r.karjala

couple of problems

#1 Post by r.karjala » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:05 pm

The speedo on my pontoon is not working and I'm getting a lot of water in the engine compartment.

Are these problems related?

I have an I\O premier.

Thanks
2007 23.5 Elite Premier tritoon
2006 30.5 BHS Jayco 5th wheel
2012 GMC 2500hd SLE
1999 Chevy 2500

Bamaman

Re: couple of problems

#2 Post by Bamaman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:15 pm

Probably not.

You need to stick your head down into the engine compartment with your engine running to see where the leak's coming from. Water is not good on an I/O.

I once had a leaky bellows and my boat was sitting in an marina and the manager wasn't watching the boats. It sunk up to the gunnels.

You wouldn't have such a problem as your engine compartment is relatively small and not part of the airtight toons. Hopefully you've just got a loose clamp or something minor.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

BoatCop

#3 Post by BoatCop » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:54 pm

The speedo is fed from a hole in the front of the nosecone of the lower unit. A pitot tube going from the lower unit to the speedo transmits the water force to the speedo, registering as speed. When you travel through the water the water pressure from the hole in the lower unit compresses air in the tube. If the tube is broken, the water will leak from the break, rather than compress in the tube. If the break is in the engine compartment water will collect in there, and continue to siphon in, even when stopped. Not a lot in a short time, but it will continue to trickle in.

If not broken the tube may be clogged. Disconnect it from the back of the speedo and blow into the tube to clear it. Or use compressed air at a LOW (less than 5 lbs) pressure. You can have someone watch the front of the lower unit to see if bubbles are coming from the hole.

If your speedo is fed from a "paddle wheel" sensor at the bottom of one of your pontoons, disregard the above. Check the paddle wheel to make sure it's still there and turning freely. These types work off a static charge generating from the paddle wheel spinning. When it stop working and the wheel spins, it usually means a broken or disconnected wire.

Check the engine compartment when the boat's running in either case, just to be sure.
Alan
2012 22' Sun Tracker DLX Party Barge w/Merc 90 EFI 4 Stroke
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2009 GMC Sierra
2001 Jeep TJ Wrangler
1999 Southwind 34L MH
2 little Basset Hounds

r.karjala

#4 Post by r.karjala » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:07 pm

At some point the find was spliced in the engine compartment. The splice has come disconnected. But now the pieces will not stay together. Need a new piece.
2007 23.5 Elite Premier tritoon
2006 30.5 BHS Jayco 5th wheel
2012 GMC 2500hd SLE
1999 Chevy 2500