4C Innovations bunk guide system

Tell it like it is!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

rob28

4C Innovations bunk guide system

#1 Post by rob28 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:42 pm

After looking at various options and doing the costings, we decided to go with the 4C guide system. This came in at $379 US (add another $100 for shipping to Canada).

Here is the reason I wanted a better guide system.

So, the package was picked up from a shipping agent in the USA and I then had to cross back over the border with it and pay taxes.
Problem #1 - no packing slip or receipt was included with the package. I'd had no email receipt either so had no proof of the cost of the items. Thankfully I still had emails on my phone during the initial decision making phase from 4C telling me the price.

Once home, this is what you get...

Which when opened gives you this lovely lot....

No instructions or paperwork was included, so after a quick visit to the website to print out a picture it was back outside to commence the fun.
I would say it would be easier if there are 2 of you to assist with getting bits square and dimensions the same either side. Apart from that, it was a very simple install - all you need is a 9/16 socket and/or wrenches.

The (semi) finished article.

Obviously the carpeted wood still need to go on - but I don't have the carpet yet..
Once this is on, I'll get the boat on the trailer and do any final tweaking and setup.

One final picture of a nice touch.
Used to be a 2013 Sylvan Mirage Cruise 8520 LE powered by a Merc 50 Bigfoot.
Now we have a 2019 Sylvan Mirage 8522 DLZ LE powered by a Yamaha VF150..
2010 F-150 4.6L to haul it around.
You'll find us enjoying life on the Wabigoon.

maddad

Re: 4C Innovations bunk guide system

#2 Post by maddad » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:16 pm

That's sure to help on those windy days.
2019SC Sweetwater, 60 SSBB Yamaha
[img][url=http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/maddad78/media/Sweet/a7b85f96-8130-485e-82a4-046508f878ee.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z342/maddad78/Sweet/a7b85f96-8130-485e-82a4-046508f878ee.jpg[/img][/url][/img]

sunnyside

#3 Post by sunnyside » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Looks good. Isn't there supposed to be a cross bar support in the middle between the two guides? Can't wait to see your review. I've been considering the 4C guides for a while.
2014 Bennington 2375 RL, ESP Pkg, many options, Evinrude ETEC 225HO

rob28

#4 Post by rob28 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:53 pm

[quote="sunnyside"]Looks good. Isn't there supposed to be a cross bar support in the middle between the two guides? Can't wait to see your review. I've been considering the 4C guides for a while.[/quote]

Yeah, I was expecting a cross brace support as well but it appears that this is now no longer a part of the package.
I'm hoping that through thorough research and development they have decided that this piece is no longer needed. I'll see how things go without it for now but may look at retro fitting something if required.

Edit - The cross brace support is part of the system but was missed from my kit and should have been part of the kit. 4C have acknowledged this error on their part.
I have used a piece of 2x4 as a cross brace and it has been plenty stiff enough for the past few years.
Last edited by rob28 on Sun May 21, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuned

#5 Post by tuned » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Hey Rob. I assume you crossed at Fort Frances. If you want to avoid some hassle you can always get things shipped to my house. I do it for several Canadian friends as it is. That border can be a real pain in the kiester sometimes
Last edited by tuned on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

rob28

#6 Post by rob28 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:01 am

tuned wrote:Hey Rob. I assume you crossed at Fort Francis. If you want to avoid some hassle you can always get things shipped to my house. I do it for several Canadian friends as it is. That border can be a real pain in the kiester sometimes
Yes we did cross at Fort. We were over the border by 9am so thankfully missed all the fishermen heading back down south.On the way back, the line up for the US was over the bridge and around the mill.... The only issue we have at the border is having to get a new I94W visa waiver form every 3 months as we're UK citizens. This means most times we cross, we get pulled in for fingerprints, photos and money.

We used Borderboxes for this package. $5 for a one off shipment to them was a lot more reasonable than the $100 shipping to Canada. Seemed to work OK, and it worked out good as we did Menards, got gas and picked up our allowed quota of beer - so in the long run, we've saved lots of money on just the beer alone.

Redneck_Randy
Site Moderator

#7 Post by Redneck_Randy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:22 am

Rob,

Is that a Mid America trailer ?

I was loading the pontoon in a strong cross wind and this is what happened to me. I'm also looking into a better guide on system.
Attachments
bent.jpg
bent.jpg (42.39 KiB) Viewed 18677 times

2011 Silver Wave Play 230
Honda BF150
2013 4X4 Silverado

rob28

#8 Post by rob28 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:55 am

Redneck_Randy wrote:Rob,

I was loading the pontoon in a strong cross wind and this is what happened to me. I'm also looking into a better guide on system.
Yes - Mid America Trailer. So, possibly not the best built ones out there for original bunk guides..
Seeing your picture makes me feel a bit better about my loading mishaps. It had already been straightened once. :shock:

Gonefishing

#9 Post by Gonefishing » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:08 pm

I been looking at the 4c system. Have to get the boat out of the water to get the measurements they need. Looks like a good system for those windy days. Here on the coast wind and rough water is a pain loading a 23 foot toon.
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

tuned

#10 Post by tuned » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:39 pm

rob28 wrote:
tuned wrote:Hey Rob. I assume you crossed at Fort Francis. If you want to avoid some hassle you can always get things shipped to my house. I do it for several Canadian friends as it is. That border can be a real pain in the kiester sometimes
Yes we did cross at Fort. We were over the border by 9am so thankfully missed all the fishermen heading back down south.On the way back, the line up for the US was over the bridge and around the mill.... The only issue we have at the border is having to get a new I94W visa waiver form every 3 months as we're UK citizens. This means most times we cross, we get pulled in for fingerprints, photos and money.

We used Borderboxes for this package. $5 for a one off shipment to them was a lot more reasonable than the $100 shipping to Canada. Seemed to work OK, and it worked out good as we did Menards, got gas and picked up our allowed quota of beer - so in the long run, we've saved lots of money on just the beer alone.
You probably drove right past me, more than once :biggrin2
Yep. Borderboxes works, although some of my friends have run into shipments that can't go there for some reason. That is when they turn to me, so the offer still stands.
As far as that bridge, don't get me started. As a lifer in this town, I can't tell you how many times that I have been profiled (musician), torn down, paperworked to death, and the funnest of all-the dog :scared
I played mostly in Canadian bands, plus my parents retired to that side. So with the number of times that I crossed, they would gradually get used to me and leave me alone. Of course only until the next batch of young, testosterone-fueled recruits got out of school. Then it would begin all over again. Once I quit the band and cut my hair, I just became a 'normal yank', so I didn't get the rubber glove treatment QUITE as often :lol3
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

tms0425

#11 Post by tms0425 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:20 pm

rob28 wrote:
Redneck_Randy wrote:Rob,

Yes - Mid America Trailer. So, possibly not the best built ones out there for original bunk guides..
Seeing your picture makes me feel a bit better about my loading mishaps. It had already been straightened once. :shock:
This is from Mid-America's dealer site. There is a method to their madness:
Our load guides are made of the cheapest-most flimsy steel available. It may sound silly but the strength of the steel in a load guide can be important. If you come in too fast and your pontoon tube hits our guide hard, out guide will collape. If you have a competing brand of stronger load guide, your $2500+ pontoon boat tube will collapse. We don't replace many load guides under warranty (yes we will), but when we do our customers are very happy not to have damaged their expensive pontoon tube.

http://www.trailersforpontoons.com/pont ... uides.html
2013 Bennington 2275RCWL ESP w/Mercury Verado 250 Pro
Mid-America PT24T tandem trailer

steveiam

#12 Post by steveiam » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:05 pm

I know you guys have seen this before, but I think a 2x4 in between those would help a bunch.

I have more than just one brace but I have hit mine from the side pretty hard a couple of times and the braces have held good.
I often wonder if Jimmy really did crack corn, and why should I care?

Bamby

#13 Post by Bamby » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:46 am

A bit off topic, but I need a favor from someone who owns a "Mid America Trailer". I found a source of the bunk brackets themselves in which I'm really needing for my trailer. But the supplier didn't get back to me with the one key measurement I'm needing to ensure the brackets will actually work on my trailer. I'm hoping the frame measurement is 2" in width so they would be a effortless bolt on improvement over the sorry bunk system my trailer came with.
trailer bunk brackets.jpg
trailer bunk brackets.jpg (231.58 KiB) Viewed 18534 times
Just for everyone's entertainment here's the sorry bunk system that came with the trailer, but admitting I actually did get a pretty good deal on the trailer used.
trailer1.jpg
trailer1.jpg (208.16 KiB) Viewed 18537 times
So can or will someone help me out with the measurement?
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

rob28

#14 Post by rob28 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:01 am

Bamby wrote:A bit off topic, but I need a favor from someone who owns a "Mid America Trailer". I found a source of the bunk brackets themselves in which I'm really needing for my trailer. But the supplier didn't get back to me with the one key measurement I'm needing to ensure the brackets will actually work on my trailer. I'm hoping the frame measurement is 2" in width so they would be a effortless bolt on improvement over the sorry bunk system my trailer came with.

So can or will someone help me out with the measurement?
The dimensions on my trailer are 2x3" for the cross support pieces and 2x4" for the main side rails running the length of the trailer.

rob28

#15 Post by rob28 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Update #1

The bunks have been carpeted and installed....

The trailer was then taken to my usual boat ramp to see how close I was with the angles.. Pretty close actually. I had to lower the front of each guide by approx 2 inches and this is the result.

That's enough for one night. Tomorrow I'd like to get the boat on the trailer and see how everything lines up and where I can install the cross brace.

One other thing I'll probably end up doing as well (once I'm finished setting up) is cut off some of the lower tubes that are now protruding quite low - as can be seen from this last picture.

Edit:
Just another quick update to add to the bottom here. I've just received an email from 4C after I said about no receipt and no instructions. I now have instructions and the cross brace is still utilized (a length of 2x4) but cannot be fitted until final spacing and setup is complete.
Impressions so far - a good product from first impressions but let down by customer service via emails and lacking documentation.