You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Maholli

Those of us with LED's!!

#1 Post by Maholli » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:59 am

kryptonite

Re: Those of us with LED's!!

#2 Post by kryptonite » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:35 am

I'm always amazed at the boaters that have no idea what the rules are for lighting. Especially on the 4th of July for fireworks shows. Nobody knows the difference between navigation lights vs. anchor light.

Unfortunately I think that common sense has left our gene pool for the most part, and it may be time to mandate some type of boaters license or certificate. This doesn't apply to anyone on this forum though as everyone is here to learn, its the other 75% of holiday weekend boaters that have no clue.
2008 22' Tahoe Vista Elite Merc 75hp 4 stroke

ralph

#3 Post by ralph » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:29 pm

I like the LED's but the rules were always in the back of my mind so I didn't do it.
2015 Sweetwater 2086 Coastal Edition - All Toon'd Up
2015 90 HP Yamaha
Mid American Dual Wheel Bunk Trailer
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

BobL

#4 Post by BobL » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:32 pm

The guys running with docking lights on drive me nuts as well.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

MH Hawker

#5 Post by MH Hawker » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:25 pm

BobL wrote:The guys running with docking lights on drive me nuts as well.
I have a 1.5 million CP serch light for those a quick flip on and off breaks them of that bad habit
If it aint broke your not having enough fun

James & Deb

1988 Riviera Cruiser 15 HP Mariner
05 Silverado Z 71 V8 5.3

Reiner

#6 Post by Reiner » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:59 pm

Amen!!

This should be read by some boaters in that post....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22635
2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL XL Package 150 HP Merc
"The Nina" or "The Bismarck" my buddy's call it!
2011 Tundra

sunedog

#7 Post by sunedog » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:13 am

Thank you for providing this, but I'm going to disagree with some sentiments. I think the rules need to be re-written. I've been boating 27 years and you can not convince me blue under deck LED's should be outlawed. On the contrary -- If I were king, I'd make them mandatory. :thumbsup

I boat regularly at night on a large (35 mile long / 14 mile wide) lake. I understand how navigational lights work to enable you to determine whether a vessel is moving towards you or away from you with those tiny red green and white lights. But you can see a pontoon with under deck LED's from MILES AWAY.

I feel confident my blue under deck LED's are legal based on reading the attachment. (My new red antennae are a different subject and the jury is still out whether or not I'll use them while underway.)

* cannot be mistaken for navigation lights
-- My blue LED's are not within 3 feet of my front red and green navigational lights, so I'm good here.

* do not impair the visibility or distinctive character of approved and properly placed navigation lights
-- Ditto what I said above

* do not interfere with the operator’s ability to maintain a proper lookout
-- Mine give a dreamy glow to the water surrounding the boat while underway, but they don't interfere with my vision at night.

BobL

#8 Post by BobL » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:41 pm

sunedog wrote:But you can see a pontoon with under deck LED's from MILES AWAY.....
On my home lake, I can see those LED's miles away but the problem is that is all I can see. In general, I find it next to impossible to see nav lights on the boats running with LED's.

You must have your LED lights "dimmed" down or you are running LED's with low lumen count. Not trying to start a pissing match with you or infer you are not a responsible boater I am just stating my experience with encountering boats running LED lights.

On the other hand, if I had a choice, I would rather see your LED's over the dude doing 60mph in a bass boat where the trolling motor is bouncing up and down completely obscuring his nav lights. :thumbsup
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

ron nh

#9 Post by ron nh » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:37 pm

sunedog wrote:Thank you for providing this, but I'm going to disagree with some sentiments. I think the rules need to be re-written. I've been boating 27 years and you can not convince me blue under deck LED's should be outlawed. On the contrary -- If I were king, I'd make them mandatory. :thumbsup

I boat regularly at night on a large (35 mile long / 14 mile wide) lake. I understand how navigational lights work to enable you to determine whether a vessel is moving towards you or away from you with those tiny red green and white lights. But you can see a pontoon with under deck LED's from MILES AWAY.

I feel confident my blue under deck LED's are legal based on reading the attachment. (My new red antennae are a different subject and the jury is still out whether or not I'll use them while underway.)

-- My blue LED's are not within 3 feet of my front red and green navigational lights, so I'm good here.

* do not impair the visibility or distinctive character of approved and properly placed navigation lights

-- Mine give a dreamy glow to the water surrounding the boat while underway, but they don't interfere with my vision at night.
Agree 100%. The only legitimate argument is "because it's always been the rules". People running with docking lights is a different issue. Most people I tell that it's not legal, argue with me, I see them doing it all the time.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#10 Post by HandymanHerb » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:00 pm

I use my docking lights in tight canals with a lot of turns when I'm by myself, if I see another boat coming, off they go. never use them running across the lake
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

Bryden24shp

#11 Post by Bryden24shp » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:20 am

I've got the interior/exterior lights coming on this Manitou. I'll probably use them when anchored. Thats it.
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

sunedog

#12 Post by sunedog » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:32 am

BobL wrote:
sunedog wrote:But you can see a pontoon with under deck LED's from MILES AWAY.....
On my home lake, I can see those LED's miles away but the problem is that is all I can see. In general, I find it next to impossible to see nav lights on the boats running with LED's.
While I don't doubt what you say, I personally have not been experienced a boat running LED's affecting my night vision. If they are at a distance, I find I have plenty of time to just watch them and easily determine which direction they are going. I guess I can envision where extra lights might be a problem in a narrow channel, but I rarely encounter that on my big lake. While maneuvering at a crowded waterfront bar / restaurant, I am going at idle speed and the entire environment is lit by a variety of lights other than mine.
BobL wrote:You must have your LED lights "dimmed" down or you are running LED's with low lumen count.
My lights are not dimmed down or low wattage. They are tucked under the rub rail so no LED is seen by any other boater. They shine pretty bright down onto the toons, but all I see from the helm is beautiful muted dark blue in the water.
BobL wrote:Not trying to start a pissing match with you or infer you are not a responsible boater I am just stating my experience with encountering boats running LED lights.
Man, it's all good. I appreciate your tone. We don't have to agree up front, but it's a discussion like this that results in one or both of us learning something. :thumbsup
BobL wrote:On the other hand, if I had a choice, I would rather see your LED's over the dude doing 60mph in a bass boat where the trolling motor is bouncing up and down completely obscuring his nav lights. :thumbsup
I completely agree. Besides, running fast after dark is nuts.

Reiner

#13 Post by Reiner » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Bright lights will change the night vision of boaters looking at you and may not see another vessel with regular legal navigation lights. That is the whole point that you dim down your lights as well so your eyes adjust. That includes the light on your helm too or while they colored to not influence your vision.
2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL XL Package 150 HP Merc
"The Nina" or "The Bismarck" my buddy's call it!
2011 Tundra

BoatCop

#14 Post by BoatCop » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:53 pm

sunedog wrote:Thank you for providing this, but I'm going to disagree with some sentiments. I think the rules need to be re-written. I've been boating 27 years and you can not convince me blue under deck LED's should be outlawed. On the contrary -- If I were king, I'd make them mandatory. :thumbsup

I don't know what other state's laws say but Arizona states:

ARS 5-333.F No watercraft may display a blue light of any size or type unless it is either an authorized law enforcement watercraft of the federal, state or local government actually engaged in the enforcement of this chapter or an emergency watercraft.

Federal law prohibits flashing blue lights on anything but law enforcement. While the blue led light strips some use may not flash, their location on the boat (under deck) may make them appear to flash when the boat rocks in waves or wakes.

There is more to navigation lights than just red/green bow lights and a white all around light. There are literally dozens of light configurations to indicated any number of boats/ships and their activities. Here are just a few. While this is for International waters, those required for Inland, Great Lakes and Western Rivers (Mississippi, Missouri, etc) are very similar.
Attachments
545_NAVIGATION_LIGHTS_international_rules_003.jpg
545_NAVIGATION_LIGHTS_international_rules_003.jpg (43.84 KiB) Viewed 12839 times
Alan
2012 22' Sun Tracker DLX Party Barge w/Merc 90 EFI 4 Stroke
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2009 GMC Sierra
2001 Jeep TJ Wrangler
1999 Southwind 34L MH
2 little Basset Hounds