Possible to load/unload bunk trailer from the ground?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

guy48065

Possible to load/unload bunk trailer from the ground?

#1 Post by guy48065 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:50 am

"Float-On"...as in ONLY?
I have a scissor-lift and have only used that type. Never been on the road with it. I'm looking to buy a newer pontoon and I don't trust going the 200 miles to my cottage on such a skinny trailer.
I also would rather not rent a bunk trailer and HAVE to make the 200 mile trip all in the same day. I'd rather drop the boat in my yard to do a bit of work to it, then rent again on a later weekend and do the delivery.

Is it possible to safely remove the boat to the ground, and later to lift it back onto the trailer?
No water, marinas, or lifts for MANY miles where I live.
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

Bamaman

Re: Possible to load/unload bunk trailer from the ground?

#2 Post by Bamaman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:40 am

I've never figured out how to pull a trailer onto the ground, however it's possible. I see pontoons on the ground all the time--most often sitting on big chunks of styrofoam.

I'm sure with trial and error and Eagle Scout ingenuity, I could get my boat on the ground. It may require some big trees, heavy ropes and strong come-a-longs. Bottle jacks and/or floor jacks.

You just have to be careful. These things are heavier than many people realize.

When I bought my first pontoon boat in 1985, I bought a trailer. I seldom used the trailer and finally sold it. Because I didn't have a trailer, I was rather lacking in doing annual maintenance--including changing the lower unit grease. My lower unit was eventually toast.

I did buy a new first class trailer with my Bennie. It's so nice to have to pull the boat for my annual maintenance and polishing. I've also used the trailer to put in at the next lake below us for a 120 mile cruise. Every owner really needs a trailer, even if they keep their boats in a boathouse like I do. It's unfortunate so few showup on the used market, however.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

JerEazy

#3 Post by JerEazy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:45 am

guy48065 wrote:"Float-On"...as in ONLY?
I have a scissor-lift and have only used that type. Never been on the road with it. I'm looking to buy a newer pontoon and I don't trust going the 200 miles to my cottage on such a skinny trailer.
I also would rather not rent a bunk trailer and HAVE to make the 200 mile trip all in the same day. I'd rather drop the boat in my yard to do a bit of work to it, then rent again on a later weekend and do the delivery.

Is it possible to safely remove the boat to the ground, and later to lift it back onto the trailer?
No water, marinas, or lifts for MANY miles where I live.
It is possible, just a multi-step process. I've never seen it done with a pontoon, having to hold the weight at 4 corners compared to a V-hull. And having to back the bucks directly under where the toons are may mean you have to support the boat by the deck, and not the tubes. I'm not sure how the structure would handle that. But the theory should be the same. You-tube may have a video or two. But, the basic idea is (and i may be missing details/steps so be sure to examine the new trailer and the old one to work out your process before you start):

Jack up the front of the trailer with the boat on it. (you dont need to go to high - just clear the trailer. And leave yourself room to jack it up at least another 1 inch. you'll need it later)
Block the front of the boat at that height and lower the trailer.
Jack up the rear of the trailer and block the rear of the boat there then lower the trailer. Boat should now be off the trailer.
Pull the trailer forward until the axles are just about to your front block and jack up the trailer again high enough to get off the front blocks (this is why you left yourself some space)
re-block it behind the axles and remove the original blocks.
Pull the trailer out all the way.

Pulling the new trailer is just the reverse of the process

Renting or borrowing some boat jacks (like these http://bubbatool.com/product/sumner-780 ... hgodyXcD3Q) would make the process easier (and potentially safer). But, it's possible without.
-Beaches Love Me

'03 Odyssey 21- 90hp Johnson

guy48065

#4 Post by guy48065 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:43 am

Supporting a 2000# Toon by the outer corners of the deck... Will it hold?
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

JerEazy

#5 Post by JerEazy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:49 am

guy48065 wrote:Supporting a 2000# Toon by the outer corners of the deck... Will it hold?
I've seen pontoon lifts that only have supports in the center, and pontoon legs etc that don't attach to the toons. So i can ASSUME that it would work... but i'm not an engineer and i don't play one on TV
-Beaches Love Me

'03 Odyssey 21- 90hp Johnson