New, Old Pontoon guy from Overland Park,KS

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

dwelter

New, Old Pontoon guy from Overland Park,KS

#1 Post by dwelter » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:09 am

New, Old Pontoon guy from Overland Park,KS- New to forum, just acquired an Old pontoon boat, making me an Old Pontoon Guy.

So happy I found this wonderful, little beauty. 1991 Landau 18' Castaway. She's been taken care of But, 26 years means I've got a little work to do.
I'm going to be trailering her to different lakes because I don't have a slip. That's why I wanted an 18 footer so it would travel well.
I've already repacked the wheel bearings, replaced the tires, bunks and winch on the trailer. (all original and plenty old)
Dropped into the lake on that freakish 70 degree day last week and the 91' Tohatsu 25 two stroke fired right up.
I'll be asking a ton of questions since I've never enjoyed an outboard, pontoon before. Thanks for your help in advance.

Happy Idiot- Dan
Attachments
IMG_4086.JPG
IMG_4086.JPG (427.2 KiB) Viewed 5150 times

curtiscapk

Re: New, Old Pontoon guy from Overland Park,KS

#2 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 am

Howdy neighbor! Where you at in OP? Welcome aboard! Check out my rebuild link in my sig for ideas.
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

dwelter

#3 Post by dwelter » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Hey Floaters. Thanks for the welcome.
I'm basically 80th and I-35. Looking forward to toon soon.
I bought a jet boat last year and found out the private lake my Sister moved to was No Wake Lake. Waaa. so I've moved on to the old pontoon this year. Can't wait.

Here's a shot on my no wake boat. Ooops.
Attachments
IMG_3306.JPG
IMG_3306.JPG (325.37 KiB) Viewed 5111 times

ROLAND

#4 Post by ROLAND » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:41 am

Dan, welcome to the group and congratulations on the new to you toon.. From that pic you posted she looks to be in really good shape.. again, congrats on the new boat.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Gonefishing

#5 Post by Gonefishing » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:19 am

Welcome and ask away any questions you have. Someone will be able to answer them for sure
Bob Jacksonville, Nc

2013 Excursion X23 RFC
2013 115 Yamaha
Pulled with a Ford King Ranch

smltooner

#6 Post by smltooner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Welcome to the club.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

dwelter

#7 Post by dwelter » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:59 am

Thanks for the welcome; curtiscapk, ROLAND, Gonefishing, smltooner.

So I've had "Lost Anchor" out on the water three times and getting back on the trailer is a bitch. I'm opting for technology over newbie problems.
I just purchased a trailer guide system from 4c-innovations and I'm waiting for delivery. I'll keep everyone up to date after I install it and try it out.
The videos online make it look like a godsend for a mostly solo captain like myself.
Here's a pic of the guide rail thingy. Thanks again for the welcomes.
Attachments
4622547949.jpg
4622547949.jpg (436.69 KiB) Viewed 4972 times

BobG

#8 Post by BobG » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:18 am

That oughtta git er done.

I have guides on my trailer, but after 5 years, it's just not a big deal. I tie the boat to the dock, then back the trailer right under her, and bring her on by hand. What used to be a serious challenge, I now do solo all the time. I never imagined it. Good luck, and have fun!
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.

killerkernrich

#9 Post by killerkernrich » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:22 am

for its age it looks well taken care of....about loading on the trailer if it is windy it is a tuff one if alone.
Premier 221 Explorer 60hp merc

Proud Father of a Drill Sergeant at 193rd Basic Training Infantry Brigade, Ft Jackson, SC

PLP Member
Why don't anti-gun people have stickers on their windows that say This is a gun free home
NRA member
UFC fan

dwelter

#10 Post by dwelter » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:42 am

Thanks for your welcomes and good ideas keillerkernrich and BobG.

looks like it's gonna be warm enough to clean some of the scum off the toons this weekend. Spring has sprung, time to clean up and get on the Lake!
Attachments
IMG_3993.JPG
IMG_3993.JPG (275.33 KiB) Viewed 4910 times

Vikingstaff

#11 Post by Vikingstaff » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:32 am

Welcome onto the forum. We will be new to our first pontoon, but docking it at our cottage. I wonder how trailering would be. Not sure about that, but will have to whenever I need to get it taken in. I look forward to hearing from you about how it goes as you get used to doing it.

P.S. Good luck with the toon clean up. Looks like some elbow-grease is going to be needed on that. Are you doing it by hand, or do you have any kind of power buffer to assist? Random thoughts from someone that will be new to the water and pontoons in the months ahead.
Vikingstaff
Houghton Lake, Michigan
Bennington 24' SSBXP

dwelter

#12 Post by dwelter » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:55 am

Thanks for the Welcome Vikingstaff.
Trailering my little 18 footer has been painless. The old salts told me, keep the tires inflated to max pressure. They say that most of the tire problems are from under inflated tires. Seems like your boat is new enough you won't have to replace the tires, I did. Check the grease in the wheel bearings and stuff. I'm trailering with a Chrysler Town & Country minivan and it's been fine, of course my boat is littler and I can almost see around it. Oh, I trailer with the cover off so far. I'm in line with a custom cover guy we'll see whether new cover can take the highway winds.
As for power tools for cleaning the toons, I bought a cheap harbor freight angle grinder and after acid washing I sanded off the grunge then polished and waxed it. One side done, seems to work so far.
Yesterday I installed my new 4-c innovations trailer guide system and I'm off to test it out Sunday or Monday. I'll let you know. Sure looks like the way to make trailering much easier.
Once again thanks for the Howdy.

dwelter

#13 Post by dwelter » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:03 am

PROBLEM= you're new to pontooning and you have to trailer your boat each time you want to use it. It is near impossible to get back on the trailer without a bunch of drama.
SOLUTION= Get one of the puppies, the 4c-innovation guide system. ( Don't ask me why they have a stupid long name you can't remember when you want to look it up on google) I bought one after trying to load my new pontoon 3 times with help, yeah lots of help from the guys at the ramp telling me how they would do it.
It is great. Yesterday I tried it for the first time, alone with a 12 to 15 mph wind at a new ramp. First shot, I come in a little fast to my thinking and I'm a little off center, then, the guide thingy repositions the pontoon I give it a little gas and GLIDE RIGHT UP ONTO THE TRAILER PERFECTLY! I laughed out loud and promised I'd give 4C a glowing recommendation.
Attachments
IMG_4244.JPG
IMG_4244.JPG (286.06 KiB) Viewed 4737 times