Round or Hextoon shaped pontoons

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

boatbuildertom

Round or Hextoon shaped pontoons

#1 Post by boatbuildertom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:26 pm

I am working on plans for a 26 foot x 8.5 foot wide pontoon houseboat. I am trying to decide which pontoon shape is better, a round one or a hexagon shaped toon.
Would the round one be stronger than the hexagon shaped toon?
Would the round one take bumps and bruises better than the hexagon shaped toons?
Does anyone have a preference as to which one will stand up to dock damage better?
Will the hextoon be more susceptible to damage at the bent edges than a round toon that has no edges?
What is the consenses--- round or hex shaped toons? Thanks Tom

margaritaman

Re: Round or Hextoon shaped pontoons

#2 Post by margaritaman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:36 pm

Just ask yourself how many hexagon pontoon builders are there versus round pontoon builders? Have you seen any new pontoons with hexagon shaped toons? Why would that be?
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

Parasympathetic

#3 Post by Parasympathetic » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:35 pm

And think of all those welds as future leak generators.

2015 Ranger RT175
Yamaha 70hp
Lake Wappapello, MO

IF WE MAKE GUNS ILLEGAL, THEN NOBODY WILL GET SHOT ANYMORE. THAT'S HOW WE STOPPED EVERYBODY FROM DOING DRUGS.

wandertheglobe

#4 Post by wandertheglobe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:41 pm

margaritaman makes a good point, I was thinking the same thing while I was reading your post. The only other common type of pontoon I'm aware of is a U shaped pontoon and there has been considerable debate as to whether round or U shaped pontoons are the best and frankly I don't think it matters.

Based on your comment I assume you plan to build your own pontoons and if that is the case you have to consider what manufacturing capabilities you have and what would be the best method for you. Personally, if I were undertaking such a project I would spec the pontoons then buy them from a manufacturer, you would probably benefit from a warranty as well as the engineering/manufacturing process development they would have already perfected.

Sounds like an interesting project. Don't forget the pics! :)
2006 Bentley 240 Cruise, Mercury 115 4S

GregF

#5 Post by GregF » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:06 pm

If you were going to go with any shape except round you start adding complexity. The reason for the U shape is to get a flat mounting surface for the deck but I think they are giving up some strength. Round is stronger.

If I was going to add complexity I would form the pontoon into a planing hull on the bottom but it is adding a lot of complexity to the manufacture.
We had a type of boat with a modified U shape and a flat formed on the bottom of the hulls here for a while but they are all gone. They just did not hold up. Too many welds and too many stress points. I haven't seen one in years.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

georgiatoon

#6 Post by georgiatoon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:45 am

100_1065 [iPod Photo].JPG
100_1065 [iPod Photo].JPG (96.84 KiB) Viewed 5910 times
I have 90 model hex toon with no dents or dings the bends increase strenth it even planes out with a fourty hp. A flat bottom being the best plaining design over round or v bottom. Why no one else builds these - Can you say patent. As for there being more welds only one longitudenal seam so thats the same as round and one less than u shape add to that the reinforcement of the weld not being ground off in both the longitudenal and section weld more strenth and less chance of leaking. :box
91 ercoa clippper 19 foot
91 johnson 40 hp

Parasympathetic

#7 Post by Parasympathetic » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:37 am

Well that looks pretty cool.
I've never seen such a thing. :coffee

2015 Ranger RT175
Yamaha 70hp
Lake Wappapello, MO

IF WE MAKE GUNS ILLEGAL, THEN NOBODY WILL GET SHOT ANYMORE. THAT'S HOW WE STOPPED EVERYBODY FROM DOING DRUGS.

georgiatoon

#8 Post by georgiatoon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:05 am

Less welds than any other type and the weld reinforcement is not ground off leaving a stronger finished product :smoke
Parasympathetic wrote:And think of all those welds as future leak generators.
91 johnson 40 hp

Parasympathetic

#9 Post by Parasympathetic » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:29 pm

That's just damn near orgasmic.

2015 Ranger RT175
Yamaha 70hp
Lake Wappapello, MO

moregooder

#10 Post by moregooder » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:00 pm

They are harder to mass produce! That is why you dont see them.

georgiatoon

#11 Post by georgiatoon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:54 pm

moregooder wrote:They are harder to mass produce! That is why you dont see them.
Much less welding than a u toon and pretty much the same amount of welding as a round toon and forming may be marginally longer with the hex toon. So I would say on the production of the toon itself considering time and diffaculty it would be a wash. Another possible reason you don't see more is the tooling change over cost would be enormous.
91 johnson 40 hp

stickman

#12 Post by stickman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 am

GregF wrote:...I would form the pontoon into a planing hull on the bottom but it is adding a lot of complexity to the manufacture.
We had a type of boat with a modified U shape and a flat formed on the bottom of the hulls here for a while but they are all gone. They just did not hold up. Too many welds and too many stress points. I haven't seen one in years.
The Premier with PTX option has a 36" U-shaped center toon with a 12" flat planing surface on the bottom. Gotta tell you, I love mine. Practically jumps up on plane!

Check out their video: http://www.pontoons.com/ptx_performance/what_you_get/
Rick
2010 Premier SunSation LTD 225RE PTX triple
220hp 4.3L mpi Merc
Beautiful southwestern Ohio

georgiatoon

#13 Post by georgiatoon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:39 am

stickman wrote:
GregF wrote:...I would form the pontoon into a planing hull on the bottom but it is adding a lot of complexity to the manufacture.
The Premier with PTX option has a 36" U-shaped center toon with a 12" flat planing surface on the bottom. Gotta tell you, I love mine. Practically jumps up on plane!

Check out their video: http://www.pontoons.com/ptx_performance/what_you_get/
The hexton has a flat 12 inch bottom and angled side - Suppose to be the ultimate planeing hull design maybe next year I will find out what mine will do with a third toon. Original hex of course.
91 johnson 40 hp

GregF

#14 Post by GregF » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:10 am

I think the problem is in the flexing of the side walls. A flat surface in sheet metal is never as strong as a curved surface. That is why you see all the curves in a car body and why they form those low pyramid shapes in duct work.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

georgiatoon

#15 Post by georgiatoon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:25 pm

GregF wrote:I think the problem is in the flexing of the side walls. A flat surface in sheet metal is never as strong as a curved surface. That is why you see all the curves in a car body and why they form those low pyramid shapes in duct work.
Good guest but my toon is 20 years old no sign of twisting or flexing the toons look as straight as the day they were made. the internal baffles I'am guessing? If you look down the side of one you will see some bellies at the baffles but that is the way they look straight from the factory. The only problem I found was some flexing or bending of the thin ass cross members which I have replaced. Just my thoughts on curvy cars what about the boxy periods 70's and 80's. And if memory serves from my sheet metal years those pyramid shapes in duct work were to improve air flo :) w.
91 johnson 40 hp