Needing to key new drain plugs in my toons

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

sam-toon

Needing to key new drain plugs in my toons

#1 Post by sam-toon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:30 pm

My drain plug on the starboard side is really lose.....to be honest not even sure why or how, but non the less it is. I was curious, I have never drilled/keyed a new screw hole. I am guessing it wont be extremly hard, but do I just buy the new bit to re-key and then buy the screw that fits it? Am I missing something? Second question, seeing that I will probably use this new key bit one time....are they expensive? Just curious before I start the weekend looking for a new bit. Thanks

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Needing to key new drain plugs in my toons

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:36 pm

OK, a drain plug should be a taper fit, and won't need a stop screw, if it's a little lose, use extra wraps of teflon tape on it .
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

dockholiday

#3 Post by dockholiday » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:10 pm

The tape would be the first thing I tried. Most automotive stores have a plug replacement for oil pans that have stripped. Bought one years ago, but can't recall if I ever used it. The plug basically acts like a toggle bolt. The end with the rubber compresses to the outside of the hole. That was a good many years ago, but you might want to see what they have now.
Can't remember the diameter of the plugs for runabouts but might check there also. Just some ideas if you want to save the rethread job for last.
doc

ROLAND

#4 Post by ROLAND » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:38 am

Drain plugs in toons? I've seen this mentioned several times over the past year I've been visiting this forum, but for the life of me I can't find any drain plugs on either of my toons. Can someone tell me where they should be... it's a 2010 Bennington 20 footer. ( 20 SFi ) Thanks
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Bamby

#5 Post by Bamby » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:34 am

Typical drain plug placement is at the bottom back of pontoons usually appearing similar to the one below the arrow in the photo below. But please also note though many manufactures do install drain plugs on their pontoons, there are also many who also don't you'll just haft to check your own pontoons as to being a have or have not model.
Pontoon_Boat_Plug.jpg
Pontoon_Boat_Plug.jpg (164.82 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

dockholiday

#6 Post by dockholiday » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Mine is where the photo's bamby indicated. The old toon were ontop of the logs, one for each chamber.
doc

ROLAND

#7 Post by ROLAND » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:01 am

Thanks bamby & Doc... looked at my toon again today, no drain plugs that I can see. Go figure!
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana