Anchoring 30' Pontoon w/ upper deck in lake

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

wcniedba

Anchoring 30' Pontoon w/ upper deck in lake

#1 Post by wcniedba » Sun May 01, 2011 2:49 pm

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and this is my second post. This is my second year owning a SunTracker 30' Party Hut (w/ upper deck). My motor is 90HP. I use the boat in Lake Chickamauga which is near Chattanooga, TN behind the Chickamauga Dam on the Tennessee River. What would be the best main anchor for me to use on the front of the boat? I need to know the type and the size. I don't mind paying extra for something that sets easily as I am very new at this and don't want to swing into someone's (expensive) boat!

I was also told that if other nearby boats are using front and rear anchors that I will need to do the same. So what type of anchor should I have for off the rear of the boat? Again, need to know type and size.

I usually anchor in one of a couple of slews with other younger people who have multiple boats nearby (usually rafted together). I never anchor overnight or out in the middle of the lake. Any additional info or wisdom you could lend to this newbie would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Chris

curtiscapk

Re: Anchoring 30' Pontoon w/ upper deck in lake

#2 Post by curtiscapk » Sun May 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Welcome!

BMR has a 32' pc and uses a 28 # or so plow anchor once he sets it he never moves. Anything over 20 should suffice for your rear :rofl :rofl

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/s ... x?a=559802
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

wcniedba

#3 Post by wcniedba » Sun May 01, 2011 4:35 pm

So would a plow anchor set easier/better than a fluke anchor?

When you say over 20 in the rear, same type of anchor? Plow?

Last but not least... when you say 28# does that mean 28 pound?

Thanks,
Sorry for being such a noob!

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#4 Post by badmoonrising » Sun May 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Yep..I use a massive 28 lb plow up front and a danforth at the stern. I like to go to bed at night and stay in the same spot I anchored in by morning :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

jepperson

#5 Post by jepperson » Mon May 02, 2011 6:00 am

I have the 2006 party hut....I usually tie up to an island, so I dont have the front and rear anchor issue.....I have noticed that if I do want to throw one out the back, it's a pain since I never have that top down in back....
Husband of the Captain of "Pitt Crew"
2006 Suntracker Regency Hut

wcniedba

#6 Post by wcniedba » Mon May 02, 2011 6:39 am

badmoonrising wrote:Yep..I use a massive 28 lb plow up front and a danforth at the stern. I like to go to bed at night and stay in the same spot I anchored in by morning :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
What size Danthforth do you use? When anchoring from the stern do you still use just as much rope? And how do you get the stern anchor to set?

WaltF

#7 Post by WaltF » Mon May 02, 2011 10:12 am

Tying to the shore is the best.
Out in the water, i have 2-25 lbs Richter anchors.
We call em the 'super hero' anchor. :rofl
One out front n one out back. It holds. :nana
http://www.richteranchors.com/
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

wcniedba

#8 Post by wcniedba » Mon May 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Does anyone else on here recommend the Richter anchors? Looks like the can set with even less anchor line let out. They look good but everyone keeps recommending plow and Danforth!! Maybe plow up front and Richter on back?

curtiscapk

#9 Post by curtiscapk » Mon May 02, 2011 2:49 pm

wcniedba wrote:Does anyone else on here recommend the Richter anchors? Looks like the can set with even less anchor line let out. They look good but everyone keeps recommending plow and Danforth!! Maybe plow up front and Richter on back?

That's how I'd do it!
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

cbavier

#10 Post by cbavier » Mon May 02, 2011 3:22 pm

I use a 12Lb Dansford on the back and a 12 LB Navy anchor on the front. I set the back first lower it slowly and judge nudge ahead until it grabs. Then Shut the motor off and either I or a passenger drop the Navy anchor off the front. Mine hold good as long as there is no wind. Breezes don't have any effect on my holding but wind does. When I anchor We or I fish so holding a specific spot is important. Check these out
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... rchID=4006
Own-It-II

Chuck
24 Ft Aqua Patio Executive Cruiser
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#11 Post by badmoonrising » Mon May 02, 2011 6:16 pm

wcniedba wrote:
badmoonrising wrote:Yep..I use a massive 28 lb plow up front and a danforth at the stern. I like to go to bed at night and stay in the same spot I anchored in by morning :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
What size Danthforth do you use? When anchoring from the stern do you still use just as much rope? And how do you get the stern anchor to set?
I idle in to my spot, put the drive in reverse, set the bow anchor. Wait until the wind/tide stops swinging the boat and drop a 12 pound danforth out the stern and tie off.

Around here, we can't tie to shore. Tide goes out and your sitting on a beach for at least 6 hours :rofl :rofl :rofl
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

Ron Burgundy

#12 Post by Ron Burgundy » Mon May 02, 2011 6:22 pm

Some dummy tied up to the shore of my local my sandbar at high tide...later in the day he was literally in the middle of the island surrounded only by sand. It took about 30 guys to push him back into the water. Probably happens at least once a day here.
:beerthought :beer :beer2 :givebeer :drunks :drink3
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

wcniedba

#13 Post by wcniedba » Tue May 03, 2011 10:46 am

What about a box anchor? Someone recommended that to me on another forum. Looks like they catch no matter how the boat positions itself with wind/current and they claim to need only 2 to 1 scope on the anchor line. I'm only going to be anchoring in slews on my lake so I don't need anything "ocean strength". However wind can blow my huge 30' pontoon around quite a bit - especially due to the walls connecting the roof to the deck.

Here's an example - http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_P ... e749bb8688

2875RLXIO

#14 Post by 2875RLXIO » Tue May 03, 2011 1:28 pm

wcniedba wrote:What about a box anchor? Someone recommended that to me on another forum. Looks like they catch no matter how the boat positions itself with wind/current and they claim to need only 2 to 1 scope on the anchor line. I'm only going to be anchoring in slews on my lake so I don't need anything "ocean strength". However wind can blow my huge 30' pontoon around quite a bit - especially due to the walls connecting the roof to the deck.

There is nothing better for sand or mud bottom than a Box Anchor. I have two large ones I keep on my boat, and they hold like no other anchor I have ever used.

wcniedba

#15 Post by wcniedba » Tue May 03, 2011 1:32 pm

2875RLXIO wrote:
wcniedba wrote:What about a box anchor? Someone recommended that to me on another forum. Looks like they catch no matter how the boat positions itself with wind/current and they claim to need only 2 to 1 scope on the anchor line. I'm only going to be anchoring in slews on my lake so I don't need anything "ocean strength". However wind can blow my huge 30' pontoon around quite a bit - especially due to the walls connecting the roof to the deck.

There is nothing better for sand or mud bottom than a Box Anchor. I have two large ones I keep on my boat, and they hold like no other anchor I have ever used.
If I have a 30' pontoon (w/ top deck) should I just make sure my anchor is sized for up to 30 foot boats? Does the stern anchor (to prevent spinning) need to be as large as the bow anchor?