Carpet adhesive

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

klyons62

Carpet adhesive

#1 Post by klyons62 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:48 am

Why can't Overton's carpet adhesive be used with pressure treated plywood? It doesn't make sense to me what's the difference between PT and marine plywood? As far as the adhesive goes.

jimrs

Re: Carpet adhesive

#2 Post by jimrs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:00 pm

Chemical Reaction just might be the reason.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#3 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:40 pm

You shouldn't be using PT plywood anywhere NEAR aluminum anyway...
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

playcat

#4 Post by playcat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:28 am

Pressure treated plywood uses CCA, which contains copper. Put copper next to aluminum and add water ( especially brackish or salt) and kiss that aluminum goodbye, right where you can't see it. Toss in some stainless screws and you got a nice battery going on!
Galvanic action also destroys wood, so its a lose-lose situation. There are treated plys that do not contain copper that are suitable for marine use, but you won't find them at the big box stores.
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA

onthewater11

#5 Post by onthewater11 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:11 am

I did not know this was the case, but I would have assumed pressure treated decking would be the way to go. I haven't ever replaced the carpet to see what is underneath, but now I know that I need to do some research before making any changes. I have been thinking about replacing my carpet down with carpet tiles because they are easier to work with and can be adhesive free. This could make them stay in place and easy to replace. We all know that the carpet takes a beating!
Last edited by onthewater11 on Tue May 24, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Parasympathetic

#6 Post by Parasympathetic » Wed May 18, 2011 7:07 am

I think most here would agree that gluing carpet on a toon is not really needed. The rails hold it down really well and the glue will make it a tremendous PITA to get off the next go around.

2015 Ranger RT175
Yamaha 70hp
Lake Wappapello, MO

IF WE MAKE GUNS ILLEGAL, THEN NOBODY WILL GET SHOT ANYMORE. THAT'S HOW WE STOPPED EVERYBODY FROM DOING DRUGS.

sammtoon

#7 Post by sammtoon » Wed May 18, 2011 7:28 am

I never knew that PT wood had copper.....I learn something everyday. I have read and read forums and I have alwasy heard people use both (marine or PT). I dont need to replace my floor, but I did replace my carpet last year. I read where some used glue some so HELL no. I used it, It seemed that even when the carpet was stretched you could see bubbles. So I ended up glueing it all down. Oh well.....I know some are gonna say its a bitch to take up, I am sure it will be, but I know it looks good now so thats what matters. I guess, if/when I take it up (years down road) I will be bitching about what I did, and how my back aches but oh well. Thanks for the new knowledge about PT and aluminum!

GregF

#8 Post by GregF » Wed May 18, 2011 8:05 am

The Wolman plant manager told me using PT on a pontoon was a waste of money. He says PT is mostly to prevent insects, not rot and the mere process of pressure treating plywood might cause more problems than it fixes. (delamination)
He said he would PT any plywood I would bring him but he advised against it.
That was without considering any galvanic action.
I thought it was interesting that he was passing up a sale but I appreciated the honesty from the people who invented pressure treating.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha