Trolling motor / battery charge question

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Rangercd

Trolling motor / battery charge question

#1 Post by Rangercd » Mon May 23, 2011 1:50 pm

I installed a trolling motor on my pontoon boat today. I have it all hooked up and ready to use this weekend but I have a couple questions I know you can help me with.
First is charging the 2 deep cycle batteries. Do I need a 2 bank charger or a 3 bank charger. My cranking motor is not a deep cycle. So I have 3 batteries on board. I do have battery tenders for my other equipment like tractors, lawn mowers and atvs but they are just tenders and I use them plugged in all over the shop for winter storage. But they all have single batteries.

Second, how long will the batteries last on this motor? It is a Minn Kota Terrova with 80# thrust. I've never owned one before and I'm looking for a big ball park guess as to how much I can run it before craps out.

Thank you in advance for any help you give.
Charlie and Patty
24' Tracker Party Barge
Full Enclosure
60hp Mercury
Minn Kota Terrova 80# Ipilot
2004 F-250 Quad Cab 6.0

bassn386

Re: Trolling motor / battery charge question

#2 Post by bassn386 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:26 pm

I'm sure others will weigh in on this, but first of all, if you have two trolling batteries you need a two-bank charger. You don't want to hook up the cranking battery to the charger. It's not a deep cycle battery and unless you have issues with the regulator on the motor, your cranking battery should be able to hold a charge good enough to start the motor for a good long time, say at least a month or more.
Depending on where you live, trolling batteries normally last about two to three seasons. Here in central Missouri where we can get some cold winters I find myself replacing the trolling batteries about every two years or so. I leave all my batteries in the boat(s) and charge the trolling batteries about once a month in the winter and put a tender on the cranking batteries.
I get about 5 years out of a cranking battery and then go ahead and replace it just because I don't want to get caught out on the water and not be able to start.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

oldmn19

#3 Post by oldmn19 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:57 pm

Are you asking how long you an run the trolling motor off the battery's or how long do they last? On our Bass boat they have lasted 4 years and longer, we have a 3 bank on board charger that's plugged in every time it comes out of the water. We can fish for 2 days off the 2 battery's, before they start running down in our boat. I have a 12v trolling motor and 1 battery for it on pontoon and it will let us fish for 2 full days too if it's not real windy. I charge it after weekend of fishing with a separate charger. Enjoy your new toy, have catch the big one! :thumbsup
2005 Tuscany TS2286FC by Sweetwater
22 ft, 90 hp 4s Yamaha
Lorance 332c GPS/Fishfinder
Minnkota copilot Trolling motor
3 battery's, tandem axle trailer pulled by 05 Dodge Quad Cab Hemi 2x2.

Rangercd

#4 Post by Rangercd » Mon May 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Bassn386, that makes sense. I was thinking along that line but just wasn't sure.
Oldmn19, Yes I was referring to run time of the batteries and that helps me.
Seeing as how I never ran owned a trolling motor, I just didn't know what to expect.
I bought this from Gander Mountain and there were two youngins that waited on me and they knew less then I knew so getting answers from them was not going to happen.
Thank you guys.
Charlie and Patty
24' Tracker Party Barge
Full Enclosure
60hp Mercury
Minn Kota Terrova 80# Ipilot
2004 F-250 Quad Cab 6.0