Rough Water

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Ron Burgundy

Rough Water

#1 Post by Ron Burgundy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:49 pm

I took the family for a cruise to the islands yesterday and we had a great time. After hangin' on the beach for a while and eating lucnch we decide to cruise around a little bit. We head south along the sandbar towards the larger island named Anclote Key. These barrier islands offer some protection from the waves created out in the open Gulf. The islands are surrounded by a shallow sandy bottom of only a foot or two in spots. Between the big island and the small island there is a natural 'deep water' channel that is about 18 feet deep. This is where most of the larger fishing boats go when they are heading out for a day of Grouper hunting.

Anyway, I head around the bend and motor into the channel. I've done this before. It's usually no big deal. Today was a little bit different. The tide was dropping very fast. Earlier when we were anchored at the sandbar it felt like we were walking in a river the water was moving so fast. Imagine how it was moving through this small deep water channel. It was creating some standing waves about two feet high. On top of that there was a fresh breeze blowing from the NW that was kicking up a couple feet of wind waves. On top of that a 40 foot deep sea fishing boat is heading out going probably 20 knots kicking up at least a three foot wake. Waves were coming from all directions...some converging and jacking up in front of us.

It was a little bumpy to say the least. It never got to the point where I thought the boat was in danger, but I think I pushed it to the limit.

My boat anchored at the sandbar before we hit the Rough Water.

Sandbar was jam packed.

-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

GregF

Re: Rough Water

#2 Post by GregF » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:17 pm

We talked about this before. Those passes can get pretty nasty.
Be careful out there. Sometimes you have to just slow down and stick your nose in a big wake and ride it out.
We try to stay inshore in the bay on days like that. If you are poking around in the mangrove in 2 feet of water, you won't be getting any big boat wakes but you might get a good laugh if they see you there and think it will be OK for them.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

Ron Burgundy

#3 Post by Ron Burgundy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:48 am

GregF wrote:We talked about this before. Those passes can get pretty nasty.
Be careful out there. Sometimes you have to just slow down and stick your nose in a big wake and ride it out.
We try to stay inshore in the bay on days like that. If you are poking around in the mangrove in 2 feet of water, you won't be getting any big boat wakes but you might get a good laugh if they see you there and think it will be OK for them.
I usually stay inshore also, but I was surprised this time. It didn't seem that windy. I think the tide dropping so quickly was what made the difference...and the 40 Trawler heading out.

I still haven't dug the nose into a wave yet. How does the boat handle during a situation like that? Any tips for riding it out? I assume I would slow down and wait for the water to run off the deck.

playcat

#4 Post by playcat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:56 am

Works for me. The times it happened the boat was on the back side of the first or second wave and the next wave came over the rails. Both times it was due to a much larger vessel (one was a 500 foot container ship) wake as we met in a narrow channel. I slowed way down but if the boat were shorter we would have rode it like a duck, about ten feet longer and we would have crested the waves. Poop happens
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA

GregF

#5 Post by GregF » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:10 am

Ron, those outgoing tides can really pile up a lot of water in the passes.
You are dumping 10 or 15 square miles of water out of a few small holes. In fact in a storm it can actually blow a new hole through those barrier islands. All it needs to do is over top a low spot and that spot then becomes the new pass. That is the down side of living in a sand box. The up side is you can shoot a 20' pipe under your driveway with a hose ;)
1974 Harris

Ron Burgundy

#6 Post by Ron Burgundy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:00 am

GregF wrote:Ron, those outgoing tides can really pile up a lot of water in the passes.
You are dumping 10 or 15 square miles of water out of a few small holes. In fact in a storm it can actually blow a new hole through those barrier islands. All it needs to do is over top a low spot and that spot then becomes the new pass. That is the down side of living in a sand box. The up side is you can shoot a 20' pipe under your driveway with a hose ;)

Yep. Between Caladesi Island and Honeymoon Island there is a pass named Hurricane Pass. Formed during a hurricane.

GregF

#7 Post by GregF » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Yep. Between Caladesi Island and Honeymoon Island there is a pass named Hurricane Pass. Formed during a hurricane.
I know of at least a half dozen of those along the Gulf coast. Near me we have "New Pass" and "Redfish Pass".

We also have Blind Pass (not the one on St Pete Beach) that is going the other way and closing up.

SanCap road was the only thing that kept Charley from blowing a hole across Captiva Island around Tween Waters Inn. Most of the sand was gone.
1974 Harris

Ron Burgundy

#8 Post by Ron Burgundy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:38 pm

I finally got my film processed. Yes, I still use film. You know that obsolete stuff we all used to put into our camera's. Anyway, I have a photo of the boat I passed that threw me for a loop.

I took this photo in open water, but we passed in a narrow channel with deep water (18 feet is deep for this area) on a fast outgoing tide. The islands are sheltering the waves in these photos, but it was choppy in the pass.

Good learning experience...don't think I'll do it again. :puke

He wasn't on a plane so it was pushing a pretty big wake.

johnathan

#9 Post by johnathan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:16 am

Beautiful photos Ron !
2002 Tracker 21' Signature Series Party barge
2002 75HP Mercury 2-Stroke
22 MPH GPS
2010 Silverado Ext Cab 5.3L 6 speed auto

Ron Burgundy

#10 Post by Ron Burgundy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:24 am

johnathan wrote:Beautiful photos Ron !

Thanks.

DonCabo

#11 Post by DonCabo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:05 am

Gorgeous boating out there! The water looks beautiful; great photos. I didn't realize the Gulf was so shallow.

I've hit some big wakes recently... 36". Hitting them on a 45 degree angle or almost dead on, and with a 24' toon, I seem to get up and ride the rest of the wake waves and it seems like it's usually just the initial wake that causes a splash and the boat to be effected.

Coming from my conventional 24' cruiser, this 'toon handles the wake and waves seemingly better.

Don

Lake Norman, NC

bibomo - Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

2011 Bentley Encore 240 Cruise
2012 Evinrude E-Tec 115HP

www.bibomo.com

GregF

#12 Post by GregF » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:22 pm

Yep this whole coast is a mile wide and a foot deep. If you look at the chart, you can be a mile or two offshore and still only in 15-20 feet of water. Back in the bays it can be wading depth just about anywhere.

http://esteroriverheights.com/docks/boa ... ro_bay.jpg
1974 Harris

DonCabo

#13 Post by DonCabo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:26 pm

I grew up in salt water and tides, etc. I'm somewhat glad I'm on a lake now! I don't worry about anything. If I get below 25', I start getting paranoid. :drool

GregF wrote:Yep this whole coast is a mile wide and a foot deep. If you look at the chart, you can be a mile or two offshore and still only in 15-20 feet of water. Back in the bays it can be wading depth just about anywhere.

Don

Lake Norman, NC

bibomo - Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

2011 Bentley Encore 240 Cruise
2012 Evinrude E-Tec 115HP

www.bibomo.com

kryptonite

#14 Post by kryptonite » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:45 pm

We just got home from lake of the ozarks. It was the roughest water ive ever been on so far. The toon took waves bigger than i expected. Took some 3-4 footers and barely got any water on the floor. If they are short waves its no problem. If the waves are longer thab the boat it got interesting, but never scary.
2008 22' Tahoe Vista Elite Merc 75hp 4 stroke

Ron Burgundy

#15 Post by Ron Burgundy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:05 pm

GregF wrote:Yep this whole coast is a mile wide and a foot deep. If you look at the chart, you can be a mile or two offshore and still only in 15-20 feet of water. Back in the bays it can be wading depth just about anywhere.

We are even more shallow up here. The island I go to is about 4 miles out and the depth is between 7-9 feet all the way. I can look over the side of the boat at full speed and see the grassy sandy bottom.