Increase air pressure in pontoons?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Fanatic1074

Increase air pressure in pontoons?

#1 Post by Fanatic1074 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:46 pm

I thought i heard water sloshing around in one of my toons so i let the plug out in the back and to my surprise compressed air came out. I was told that it was not compressed... well i called a dealer and he said it will be fine and dont worry about it. Does everyone agree?

Also if thats the case can i fashion something to put air in it and maybe put like 5 or 10 PSI in the toons to increase floatation? If so does anyone have any ideas for putting air in from a standard air compressor?
2009 StarCraft Classic 200 RE
2007 Yamaha 90HP 2 Stroke
Smyrna, TN (Near Nashville)
Usually on Percy Priest Lake.

jafo9

Re: Increase air pressure in pontoons?

#2 Post by jafo9 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:05 pm

i would be very careful putting air in the toons. 3 lbs is the max i've heard of. toons aren't designed to hold pressure like an air tank. also, i don't think compressing the air will increase buoyancy as you won't be increasing the volume of the log which would increase bouyancy. there are some pics floating around here of an exploded toon from too much air.

here's a thread from another site..

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=267327
2003 Premier Grand Majestic 250 PTX Honda 225 OB (PTX baby!)
2002 MasterCraft X30
2007 Yamaha FX HO Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki SXR800
2004 Yamaha SuperJet
1989 Kawasaki 650sx
Lewis Smith Lake, Alabama

jrolin1

#3 Post by jrolin1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Fanatic1074 wrote:I thought i heard water sloshing around in one of my toons so i let the plug out in the back and to my surprise compressed air came out. I was told that it was not compressed... well i called a dealer and he said it will be fine and dont worry about it. Does everyone agree?

Also if thats the case can i fashion something to put air in it and maybe put like 5 or 10 PSI in the toons to increase floatation? If so does anyone have any ideas for putting air in from a standard air compressor?
Changes in temp could cause it to be pressurized if it is hotter when you pulled the plug than it was when it was sealed. An increase in air pressure will not increase floatation. It would actually decrease it buy a very small (not noticeable) amount since air has weight. The displacement of the water versus the weight of your boat gives you floatation.
Last edited by jrolin1 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fanatic1074

#4 Post by Fanatic1074 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:09 pm

OK, awesome. Thats why i posted here. So i dont screw something up lol.

Ok well any ideas on how to pump back up to 3 psi?

jrolin1

#5 Post by jrolin1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:10 pm

Fanatic1074 wrote:OK, awesome. Thats why i posted here. So i dont screw something up lol.

Ok well any ideas on how to pump back up to 3 psi?

No need to do that.

Fanatic1074

#6 Post by Fanatic1074 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:18 pm

OK, then ill leave it. Thanks guys!

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#7 Post by HandymanHerb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:18 pm

The only time you pump it to 3 pounds is when leak checking, and never go over 3 pounds or bad things can happen fast, so just leave it alone and since you had air coming out it means you don't have a leak.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

Richard

#8 Post by Richard » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:37 pm

I have 3 drain plugs on the top of each log. One for each chamber. The plugs have a small ( 1/16") hole in them to vent any pressure or vacume. I would assume it is a good idea for all pontoon logs to have a vent to prevent expansion or contraction from heat and cold.
I wouldn't advise trying to pressurise a pontoon log. It could end up costing you a bundle.

GregF

#9 Post by GregF » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Screw the plug in when it is cool out and you will pressurize the log when the sun comes out. ;)

Air coming out is a good thing, I means the log is still sealed.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

Bamby

#10 Post by Bamby » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:01 pm

As in many thinks in this life their exists the "Gray Zone" which consists of inspirational ideas that may prove out as beneficial, or impractical, or :uglypoke . We're now about to enter the zone.

NEW SOUTH BAY PONTOON BOATS
•3.5 PSI Air Pressurized & Chambered Pontoons
Source: http://www.yachtworld.com/willsboro/willsboro_9.html

Air pressurized chambered tube construction, strengthens inner walls of pontoons. NO LEAKS!
Source: http://www.southbaypontoon.com/default.asp?page=dare

Now as far as I'm aware of Forrest River is "maybe" the only manufacture that has an actual valve to maintain the recommended air pressure, but others may also exist.
Richard wrote:I have 3 drain plugs on the top of each log. One for each chamber. The plugs have a small ( 1/16") hole in them to vent any pressure or vacume. I would assume it is a good idea for all pontoon logs to have a vent to prevent expansion or contraction from heat and cold.
I wouldn't advise trying to pressurize a pontoon log. It could end up costing you a bundle.

Why would having holes in your logs be a "good thing?" please splain this feature in some detail.

Lets see I have sealed logs yours as you stated have "holes" in them. We both stupidly hit something when traversing some shallow water and create some small perforations in our pontoons. We assume we're still ok and tie our boats off on the dock not to be seen again till the following weekend. We return the following weekend to view a horror. Your boat is practically sunk because your beneficial holes allowed all the air to escape and your toons are filled with "water". My boat suffering the same damage more or less is just listing a little in it's slip. The "sealed logs" pressurized the pontoons and prevented any or very little water to enter the pontoons themselves.

I'm thinking the "sealed logs" at least as the most practical pontoon.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

margaritaman

#11 Post by margaritaman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:23 pm

I am putting my 2 cents on this subject. I keep mine pressurized at 2-3 lbs all the time and check them occasionally. If I take the plug out and the air is gone I know I have a leak somewhre even if there is no water in the tubes. The leak could be coming from a weld on top and lets air out but not water in since it is not submerged. Also the logs bounce when I hit the pilings on the dock and helps it from getting dented as long as the bump is not that hard. There my :2cents
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

dockholiday

#12 Post by dockholiday » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:03 pm

margaritaman wrote:I am putting my 2 cents on this subject. I keep mine pressurized at 2-3 lbs all the time and check them occasionally. If I take the plug out and the air is gone I know I have a leak somewhre even if there is no water in the tubes. The leak could be coming from a weld on top and lets air out but not water in since it is not submerged. Also the logs bounce when I hit the pilings on the dock and helps it from getting dented as long as the bump is not that hard. There my :2cents
did you replace the existing plugs with schrader valves. is there an increase in pressure when the temp rises. just wondering cause when i cut the grass at the lake seems like my plastic gas cans seem to inflate when in the sun. may have something to do with agitating the gas but always thought it was a result of the sun.
doc

Richard

#13 Post by Richard » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:41 pm

[/quote]
Why would having holes in your logs be a "good thing?" please splain this feature in some detail.

Lets see I have sealed logs yours as you stated have "holes" in them. We both stupidly hit something when traversing some shallow water and create some small perforations in our pontoons. We assume we're still ok and tie our boats off on the dock not to be seen again till the following weekend. We return the following weekend to view a horror. Your boat is practically sunk because your beneficial holes allowed all the air to escape and your toons are filled with "water". My boat suffering the same damage more or less is just listing a little in it's slip. The "sealed logs" pressurized the pontoons and prevented any or very little water to enter the pontoons themselves.

[/quote]

What you say does make some sense. However, I can imagine a sealed log sitting on the trailer in the hot sun and a weld joint bursting from the heat expansion. You may not notice the bad joint until much later when your logs, all of a sudden, have water in them. Then you have them welded and wonder how did that happen.
I think both views have merrit. Which one should we choose? :donno
Last edited by Richard on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

margaritaman

#14 Post by margaritaman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:33 pm

dockholiday wrote: did you replace the existing plugs with schrader valves. is there an increase in pressure when the temp rises. just wondering cause when i cut the grass at the lake seems like my plastic gas cans seem to inflate when in the sun. may have something to do with agitating the gas but always thought it was a result of the sun.
doc
I have a tapered nylon plug that I remove and screw in a shrader valve from a car. I cut the rubber end to a taper so it screws into the hole. Then I pull out the shrader valve and quickly screw the nylon plug back in before too much air leaks out.
Heat and sun expands your gasoline and will expand your red fuel tank if you forget to open the vent valve.
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

GregF

#15 Post by GregF » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:47 pm

You can buy tire valves with 1/8" NPT threads on the other end. Then you just need a bushing. I was using one to pressure test the pipes I put in before I back filled them.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha