Carpet Cleaning???

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

lcbl75771

Carpet Cleaning???

#1 Post by lcbl75771 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:32 am

How do you guys clean the carpet on your boats? What cleaner, and do you use some sort of machine? Do Handheld carpet cleaners work any good?
2007 Bennington 2075
90 HP Yamaha

GregF

Re: Carpet Cleaning???

#2 Post by GregF » Tue May 08, 2012 9:35 am

Pressure cleaner with a soft nozzle
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

Thin Ice

#3 Post by Thin Ice » Tue May 08, 2012 9:42 am

I bought this last summer...

http://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-Spotbot-H ... B00450U7QS

Works great
2009 Suntracker Regency Party Barge 22
2011 Evinrude E-Tec 115 HO
Full Enclosure
Kiskiminetas and Allegheny Rivers

WILD MAN

#4 Post by WILD MAN » Tue May 08, 2012 12:16 pm

I haven't had to clean the whole carpet yet but last year someone had some red clay on there shoe and put some really dark red spots on my new cream colored carpet :x I had some of this laying around so I tried it it works great!!
Attachments
05-blue-coral-dri-clean-carpet-and-upholstery-cleaner.jpg
05-blue-coral-dri-clean-carpet-and-upholstery-cleaner.jpg (9.98 KiB) Viewed 21423 times
WILD MAN

2008 SOUTHBAY 822CR SUZUKI DF70
2011 BASS TRACKER 175 TF MERCURY 60
East Mississippi

gramps

#5 Post by gramps » Tue May 08, 2012 12:44 pm

On our old boat I used our carpet steam cleaner, for bad spots I used Oxy Clean and it worked great.
2012 Berkshire, 230cl Tritoon
150hp Mercury 4stroke
Road King Trailer
Towed with a Buick Enclave

Bamaman

#6 Post by Bamaman » Tue May 08, 2012 1:07 pm

I first do a complete vacuuming of the carpet with a high strength wet/dry vac.

Then I'll get after any spots with any of the good spray carpet shampoo--like the Blue Coral pictured above. There are many other brands that are also good, but I've had great luck with Blue Coral. I will put the elbow grease into the spots scrubbing with a 2 1/2" coarse nylon brush with a handle. Any kind of coarse brush will work.

Now, if I was going to shampoo the whole boat, I'd pull out my Hoover steam carpet cleaner with brushes. I have seldom had to use it, however.

I'm going to clean my carpet with Zep orange degreaser/cleaner next week. I made the mistake of using the pontoon as a ladder platform to paint the boathouse eaves--and I dropped a quart of paint on the boat carpet.

Also, never allow your teenage kids to haul their boatless friends around on your pontoon, as there will always be smokers amongst them. I banished all my daughters' friends from our lake house after the next door house had a burglary, and the neighbors complained about socially undesirable young people hanging around. Best move I ever did.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

waterlab

#7 Post by waterlab » Wed May 09, 2012 5:19 am

Call Stanely Steamer they will do the carpet for under 150.00

http://www.stanleysteemer.com/Home/Resi ... nding.aspx

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#8 Post by badmoonrising » Wed May 09, 2012 6:22 am

I just bring my Bissel carpet machine down to the boat.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

robster

#9 Post by robster » Wed May 09, 2012 11:31 am

You can rent one of those Bissell Big Green carpet cleaners at Lowes.
2011 Manitou OasisVP Tritoon w/Yamaha 150

GregF

#10 Post by GregF » Wed May 09, 2012 12:07 pm

What is wrong with the pressure cleaner? I probably get more crap on my carpet than most since this is the work boat for river cleanups and construction projects but the pressure cleaner with the 40 degree nozzle or a small electric with the head opened up all the way does a great job. Just don't get too close.

I am not sure I would want a steam cleaner on a wood deck at all. (I know Ed has a metal deck)
1974 Harris

Bryden24shp

#11 Post by Bryden24shp » Wed May 09, 2012 12:23 pm

I agree, Greg! Thats how I have been doing all of my boat carpets for over 30 years! It brings back all the nap and makes them look new. I dilute down some LA Awesome and run it right through the soap attachment. Tilt the trailer down so it drains off the front of the pontoon boat. Tilt the trailer up and let it run into the bilge in the Baja's. Shop vac dry or let the sun do it for me. Takes maybe an hour.
Bryan
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

GregF

#12 Post by GregF » Wed May 09, 2012 12:42 pm

The PC doesn't get the carpet any wetter than hitting a big wave and having 2" of water in the cage ;)

I do it on the lift and I have my cables staggered so the boat sits at a pretty good angle draining off the starboard aft corner.
That is where I keep the trash can underway but it is clear on the lift.
1974 Harris

oldcoot

#13 Post by oldcoot » Wed May 09, 2012 2:11 pm

gramps wrote:On our old boat I used our carpet steam cleaner, for bad spots I used Oxy Clean and it worked great.
Ditto!!!!...(us old bastards think alot alike!!) :thumbsup
Jim & Jill
East Peoria, Il.
Illinois River Tooners
2003 Suntracker 24ft Party Barge
90hp Tracker Mercury
2007 Chevy Silverado 5.3 extcab
"the Jillie Marie"

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#14 Post by badmoonrising » Wed May 09, 2012 8:50 pm

My Bissel machine is not a steamer, it barely heats the water. And no, I would not use a steamer on a plywood decked boat.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

SoapPeddler

#15 Post by SoapPeddler » Thu May 10, 2012 10:35 am

This is an interesting threat to me because I sell carpet cleaning equipment. Most if it couldn't be used on a boat because the machines are too large.

Basically carpet cleaning can be broken down into four steps.

1. Remove debris usually (pick up the big chunks and vacuum).

2. Apply chemical / water solution. Usually the carpet will be cleaned more effectively if the chemical solution is applied and allowed to dwell before the water is applied to the carpet. If you are using a machine then put only clean water or a rinse agent into the machine, this has the effect of rinsing the soils and chemicals out of the water.

3. Agitate. This can be done by the bushes on a carpet cleaning machine, a manual brush or with water pressure. Agitation helps to bread the soils free from the carpet fibers.

4. Remove water and soils. Carpet extractors vacuum the water out of the carpet. If you are allowing the water to run off of the boat and waiting for the carpet to air dry, make sure and rinse the carpet thoroughly because the soils that you are trying to remove are suspended in the water that you cleaned with. If you do not remove that water, you are not removing the soils. You can also run push broom or squeegee across the carpet to push the water off of the boat.

Carpet cleaning chemicals usually fall into two categories.

Alkaline. Most carpet chemicals fall into this category. They rely on a hight pH to remove soils. This works because most of the soils we are trying to remove have a low pH. The chemicals that come with rental equipment fall into this category.

Oxidizers. Oxyclean is the most well known. They work by oxidizing the soils. I prefer this type of chemical because it removes organic material very well, deodorizes the carpet well and is less likely to leave a chemical residue that will attract new dirt.

I hope this very brief description helps. I'll be happy to help with any specific questions.
Gi-Gi 2001 Sweetwater Challenger 18'
40 hp Merc
2005 GMC Envoy
2011 Mid States Trailer
Austin Lake in SW Michigan