LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Ron Burgundy

LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner

#1 Post by Ron Burgundy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:06 am

After hearing so many positive reviews I picked up a couple 20 oz spray bottles to do some boat cleaning.

What dillution ratio have you guys found to work best?
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

dockholiday

Re: LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner

#2 Post by dockholiday » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:52 am

I usually start pretty weak and add cleaner until it does the job, especially when using on vinyl or something that I am concerned about damaging. Most often I use full strength and around the house. Glad they have not raised the price cause this forum has sold a boat load of the stuff. My second go to cleaner is super clean it is great stuff also.
doc

Bryden24shp

#3 Post by Bryden24shp » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:06 pm

For cleaning my seats and interior, or taking the black streaks off the walls, I mix it 1to8. For harder stuff, (crushed in food, blood or spilled koolaid) I'll go 1to4. And to pressure wash my carpeting or concrete driveway. I use it full strength, through my pressure washer. Go by the guide on the back of the botle, then you can get the just of how good it works.
Good Choice! Its cheap, works good and last a long time!
Bryan
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

brumbyvet.1044

#4 Post by brumbyvet.1044 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:37 pm

After reading some of your suggestions for this product, I went to Dollar General the other day and stocked up. The first time my wife used it she stated it was the best cleaner she's ever used. I'll use it on the boat clean up in the spring but for now, I'm sold. :biggrin2
2009 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21, 2 Log NV performance Package, 90HP 4 ST. Mercury
Garmin 430S
Cherokee Lake, TN

dockholiday

#5 Post by dockholiday » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:45 pm

since i did mention using it on vinyl, i need to say the stuff is pretty strong so use with care on the vinyl. anything that cleans that well can't be mild. my old toon had white interior and i used some pretty harsh cleaners over the years so when i sold it, i basically deducted 2k from what it should have brought due to the vinyl beginning to crack. you won't see the effects of it being damaged right off the bat, but it will show up a few years down the road.
doc

Bamaman

#6 Post by Bamaman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:04 am

Awesome is so strong that it cuts a little of the paint off every time I put it on my travel trailer. Now, I really need to prime and repaint my RV. But, nothing takes off black streaks like this stuff.

On vinyl, I start with plain old car wash detergent, and a bunch of elbow grease. I then work my way up to harsher cleaners. I've been known to use a weak bleach/water solution on seats.

And, I'm now using 303 Protectant on the vinyl seats. There is another 303 cloth protectant for most bimini tops. Many people also use it on their canvas convertible tops, and it's so good that you don't have to apply it but ever 2-3 years.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

Bryden24shp

#7 Post by Bryden24shp » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 am

Dock, how are you diluting it? I've been using it for at least 3 now, the interior looks and feels new yet. After I'm done cleaning it, I also go over it with 303 Protectant, just to give it some sun protection. But I have had no problems. The boat is always covered and only in the sun when we are out in it, maybe thats the difference. 55 degrees here today, going to wash my pick up, and thats what I'll be using, diluted down about 1 to 10. It doesn't take the wax off. When I want to remove the wax to recoat my Liquid Glass, I use it about 1 to 4 parts water.
I gotta take a shower quick, diluite it 1-20.... Just Kidding! (I use Simple Green for that) :wink:
Bryan
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

oldmn19

#8 Post by oldmn19 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:28 am

We are a "Totally Awesume Orange" cleaner using family. Bought at Dollar Store also, use it all around the house, boat, car, and truck. It's not so strong as to damage anything, but cleans better than any of the brand name 5 and 6 dollar cleaners. I always use 303 after cleaning vinyl. It's great around the house on anything. Use what works for you! :thumbsup
2005 Tuscany TS2286FC by Sweetwater
22 ft, 90 hp 4s Yamaha
Lorance 332c GPS/Fishfinder
Minnkota copilot Trolling motor
3 battery's, tandem axle trailer pulled by 05 Dodge Quad Cab Hemi 2x2.

dockholiday

#9 Post by dockholiday » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:58 am

Bryden24shp wrote:Dock, how are you diluting it? I've been using it for at least 3 now, the interior looks and feels new yet. After I'm done cleaning it, I also go over it with 303 Protectant, just to give it some sun protection. But I have had no problems. The boat is always covered and only in the sun when we are out in it, maybe thats the difference. 55 degrees here today, going to wash my pick up, and thats what I'll be using, diluted down about 1 to 10. It doesn't take the wax off. When I want to remove the wax to recoat my Liquid Glass, I use it about 1 to 4 parts water.
I gotta take a shower quick, diluite it 1-20.... Just Kidding! (I use Simple Green for that) :wink:
Bryan

don't get me wrong not throwing rocks at awesome, just wanted to caution on vinyl. with the old toon being white i would use anything trying to clean the seats. On the current toon i practice prevention so it doesn't take anything harsh. i did get a small amount of mildew once, and had to use the mildew remover. trying to stick to 303 products now. the old toon had some age on it but the cracking seem to appear almost overnight. once the vinyl begins to harden it's all down hill from there. that why i said strengthen till you get the desired results. just don't want anyone to make a 2500 buck mistake on something i may have said.............doc

Bamby

#10 Post by Bamby » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:53 am

We also use a lot of Awesome ourselves for all the applications list above and then some. As of late though the wife is also using it as a laundry booster on some of my grimy clothes and it actually appears that they do come out "cleaner".
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

GregF

#11 Post by GregF » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:38 am

I find that spraying grease stains on my clothes with green soap before you wash them gets the stains out fairly well.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

Bamaman

#12 Post by Bamaman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:14 pm

I've always had a hard time getting latex paint off my hands. I know it's water based, but I just got tired of scrubbing and scrubbing. I also started using the orange smelling mechanics hand cleaner available everywhere.

One day, I bought Zep orange cleaner in a spray bottle @ Home Depot. Spraying it on my hands gets the paint off much easier and faster than real hand cleaners. I also started using it getting the paint out of my clothes, and any on any laundry stains. It's the best general use cleaner I've ever used.

Now my wife doesn't yell at me about getting paint all over everything--at least as much.

I see orange cleaners in all kinds of stores. None of them has the guts and results as Zep, however. This would also be a good product to use on boat seats, boat engines, and virtually anything.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

GregF

#13 Post by GregF » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:28 pm

The GoJo orange hand cleaner will get off just about any kind of paint including polyurethane. (something I am using a lot of right now)

It may be a bit to aggressive for cleaning a boat. There is a course pumice in it that would scratch a lot of things.
1974 Harris
70 HP 4 stroke EFI Yamaha

oldcoot

#14 Post by oldcoot » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Been using Awesome for awhile....use saddle soap for the vinyl...doesn't dry it out and protects it...
Jim & Jill
East Peoria, Il.
Illinois River Tooners
2003 Suntracker 24ft Party Barge
90hp Tracker Mercury
2007 Chevy Silverado 5.3 extcab
"the Jillie Marie"

oldmn19

#15 Post by oldmn19 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:49 am

Just a quick FYI, my wife got gallon jugs of Awsum Orange at the dollar store this morning for a buck a gallon! :thumbsup
2005 Tuscany TS2286FC by Sweetwater
22 ft, 90 hp 4s Yamaha
Lorance 332c GPS/Fishfinder
Minnkota copilot Trolling motor
3 battery's, tandem axle trailer pulled by 05 Dodge Quad Cab Hemi 2x2.